SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Really Want to Buy a Barrett
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Really Want to Buy a Barrett Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I'm not going to lie, they are a hoot to shoot!
Especially when Uncle Sugar is feeding the gun.

Me? I would definitely get into longer ranges, and serious rifles a lot more if I had somewhere more than 200/300 yards. In a pinch, and depending on who's at the farm, and how tall the weeds are I can move out to 500. So for me, anything more than a decent .308 is just waisted gunpowder and lead.

(Granted, I do live in Chicago which is probably the 3rd largest outdoor gun range, with Ft Irwin and 29 Palms being the larger ones, and I could play with a nice .50 down 79th or 63rd street, but I think my bosses may frown upon that just a little)

Aurora Sportsmans Club has a 600 yard range. The .50 is welcome on any of the rifle ranges.
Not as sporting as the hood though.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Savage .308 is murder on my bad shoulders. Standing up is tolerable, but prone HURTS!! No way I want to shoot a 50!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
My Savage .308 is murder on my bad shoulders. Standing up is tolerable, but prone HURTS!! No way I want to shoot a 50!

I was expecting a world of hurt the first time I lit one off.
The 26lbs weight & huge muzzle break tamed the boomer down to less than 12ga impact on the shoulder, IMO.

Got a chance, a few years ago, to put a 1/2 dozen through [one of?] NikonUser's F/TR 308. Similarly, I imagine the weight & setup made it less punishing on the shoulder. Definitely cool to hit a X at 1k yds.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I find the concussion and muzzle blast to be far worse to deal with than the actual recoil.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I find the concussion and muzzle blast to be far worse to deal with than the actual recoil.

Shooting prone in tallish grass makes for a fun display.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
338 Lapua Magnum will do everything a 50 BMG will do, and be more accurate. Unless you are trying to bring down helicopters or penetrate light armor.

Posts: 12678 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Aurora Sportsmans Club has a 600 yard range. The .50 is welcome on any of the rifle ranges.
Not as sporting as the hood though.

Thought about it, but the "juice aint worth the squeeze". Way too much $ for me.
At this point, I'm happy going to my friends farm and dealing with that distance for free. in a few years, when I'm out of here, and in a "free state", I'm making sure I'm close enough to somewhere I can shoot further.
Ideally, on my own property! But thats a few years away.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I have an unfired M82 CQ I'm contemplating moving, if you are interested in talking hit me up, I don't see any way to contact you. They are not discontinued as many vendors show online I contacted Barrett and they said they are many months behind especially since the new military contract.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

email inbound

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Barrett 99 that I would sell, as well as everything a person would need to reload.

Email me if you are interested.

Posts: 41 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
You could order a Noreen.

Just wanted to revive this thread and point out how much $ Voshterkoff cost me... Cool Big Grin

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I was shopping around a month ago for a less expensive .50 option.
I saw the Serbo blow up and then saw a Norenco break in half when the owner picked it up were the barrel and receiver meet.
My conclusion was that I would never put anything with that much powder capacity under my cheek unless it said Barrett, or at a minimum AR50.There seems to be a reason the good ones start at about $6000.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Rad! Now you just need to find a place that sells API by the pickup-load.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a Noreen I impulse bought for an irresistible deal. I am quite happy with it and was chatting with another guy with a 50 about it being funny the 50 was more available than 9mm during the panic.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Please keep posting on how your .50 works out for you.

Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Have always wanted to own one. Will probably keep it for a year and then sell it but it’s just one of those items on my bucket list.

My other is an MP5 but not likely to ever get one.

I am right there with you on both the Barrett and the MP5. I bought the MP5 this year, fingers crossed for the Barrett in a couple years.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Many years ago had a Barrett. Fantastic stick and ended up selling it for more than I paid years later.

Then I had an Armalite AR50. Worth it and much less cost. Sold it for a bit more than I had into it during a political panic.

Latest pickup was a Bushmaster BA50 right at the start of covid before the demand and price went up. Holy crap am I pleased. It does what the rest do, magazine fed at a very acceptable cost. Ammo is back even. I've seen it at about every store in town and the price didn't seem to climb much, if at all, over two years ago.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
Many years ago had a Barrett. Fantastic stick and ended up selling it for more than I paid years later.

Then I had an Armalite AR50. Worth it and much less cost. Sold it for a bit more than I had into it during a political panic.

Latest pickup was a Bushmaster BA50 right at the start of covid before the demand and price went up. Holy crap am I pleased. It does what the rest do, magazine fed at a very acceptable cost. Ammo is back even. I've seen it at about every store in town and the price didn't seem to climb much, if at all, over two years ago.

It's a fun itch. If you can do it, go for it. You'll likely not lose out much, if at all and you'll be happy you did it.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Over here in UK, where there is a thriving .50cal shooters' association with over 400 members, Barratts are quite rare.

Rifles here seem to be mostly offerings from Fortmeier, Steyr, Desert Tech and AI. The Desert Tech HTI would be my choice, since the importer is a fellow club member, and I might just wangle a good deal. Mrs tac, however, advises me that taking up .50cal would use up all my 'Brownie points' in the shooting funds, and I'd have to get rid of my other twenty-one rifles and two handguns........

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Well tac, they say the reason divorce is so expensive is because its worth it.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post