SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Working Man's Double Rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working Man's Double Rifle? Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
So, I've got an itch that needs scratching...a double rifle, African big bore, caliber TBD. It's something I have wanted for years and I'm not getting any younger for sure. I don't need a rifle in a $500 case, I just want a solid working double rifle...not a stiff action action $500 piece of crap and not a $50,000 gold in-laid turkish walnut, hand carved work of art either. Just solid and functional, options?

After thinking about it a bit more last night, I'm thinking at least a .375 H&H or a 9.3 as a minimum. My 4xgreat grandfather when he went back to England I believe came back with a Westley Richards 12ga shotgun, at least that is where I believe it came from as it has been passed down within our family. However, it has seen some very hard use over nearly 150-200 years. I'd love to be able to take that into Westley Richards in London, England and set it on the counter and get a history lesson. I'd also love to be able to buy a new one, but good night, no way could I ever afford one of their guns. At least not without selling my house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcsabolt2,

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A .410/22lr SAVAGE is what I would like Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If you hit ChodeChoker you may still find some of the old Baikal (Russian) side-by-sides in .30-'06 or .45-70. Be aware that when they first came out scuttlebutt quickly became that the .45-70s weren't made for the Ruger-type hotter loads.

Incidentally, old rugged cross, I still have, shoot and love a Baikal .22LR/.410 O/U. The old Savages are gorgeous, and do pop up occasionally, but they're (IMHO) priced for collectors. The new plastic Savages don't seem to be any great shakes.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
$50k IS the working man's double rifle. Big Grin

Nicest doubles I ever held were Austrian made, cost around $260k (that was about 15 years ago, I'm sure they've gone up. lol)

I declined the offer to shoot them for fear of dropping them. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
You could buy a side by side or over under shotgun in 10gauge.
Shooting Federal Power Shok 10ga.shells at 1 3/4oz or 766gr. at 1280fps should satisfy the itch.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Merkel B3 in .30-06 & larger calibers or Merkel 323 in 7x57 mm Mauser and larger calibers. Both are fine O/U rifles but the former won’t break the bank.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The Merkel 202E is another, also an O/U. Steve Barnett has one in 8x57 for $6500 with a Swaro scope.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
For an SxS how about a Baikal in .45-70?

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/r...e-rifle-mp-221-45-70

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapuis. They can be had for under 5K slightly used. I bought myself one in 9.3 when I returned from a trip to Afghanistan. I've yet to hunt with it. I'm not sure why. They can be found used for a reasonable (in double gun prices) both new and used. Another alternative is a side by side shotgun with rifle sights. Zero one barrel (I use the right barrel) for slugs and you get a versatile double rifle similar to the old shot and ball, or paradox guns. Example seen here.

https://youtu.be/K2v5tmZTIkU

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mlazarus,

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2: Westley Richards 12ga shotgun, at least that is where I believe it came from as it has been passed down within our family. However, it has seen some very hard use over nearly 150-200 years. I'd love to be able to take that into Westley Richards in London, England and set it on the counter and get a history lesson.

They have a www serial number lookup vs year made and a $150 journal copy.
https://www.westleyrichards.co...history/#gunhistory/

They have a US store in Gulf Breeze, Florida.

I bet they would refurbish Grandpa's gun but it wouldn't be cheap.

If you can put up with Continental trash, Krieghoff starts at $12565, Merkel about the same.

A friend tried the shotgun buck and ball stuff, all that did was inflame his interest; he bought an elderly .450 BPE and had a lot of fun with it.

CSMC makes a rifled 20 ga sabot slug gun that is very neat and handy, about $7000.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Sabatti made a pile of them at one time, but try to get to shoot it first, some had issues and the barrels were not regulated well, (not accurate or rather to point of aim)

I have a Ruger Red Label Jaeger conversion at the shop,

2 barrel set, custom from back in the 80's (IIRC) a few hundred were done,

one set of barrels is 20ga Sk\Sk, the the other set is 45/70
very nicely done conversions

Priced at $8K

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I can't help you on finding an affordable one, but I think if I was set on a traditional safari-style double rifle, I'd want it chambered in one of the old school low-chamber-pressure, heavy-bullet, low-velocity, straight-wall or almost-straight-wall big bore cartridges like any of the Nitro Express cartridges. I think .470 NE is the most popular.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Bargains CAN be found like this one - https://auctions.holtsauctione...o=+++90865&saletype=

But I wouldn't know where to start to look in USA.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sabatti made a pile of them at one time, but try to get to shoot it first, some had issues and the barrels were not regulated well, (not accurate or rather to point of aim)

Just saw one of their .45-70s somewhere (Dixie? Taylor's?) for $5,000.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post