SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Get your check books ready, 86,000 M1s being repatriated to the US.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get your check books ready, 86,000 M1s being repatriated to the US. Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
If you've been wanting an M1 get ready. It might take CMP awhile to get them from the Army and start sending them out the door though.

http://www.guns.com/2017/04/10...atriated-m1-garands/

quote:
The Civilian Marksmanship Program advises the Army could soon hand over a large stock of historically significant M1 rifles.

A post on an M1 Garand collectors group on Friday mentioned a group of loaned rifles coming in from the Philippines was being processed by the U.S. Army for shipment back to the states. Mark Johnson, CMP’s chief operating officer, did not confirm the country of origin but did tell Guns.com that a large group of rifles may indeed be headed home and could end up in the organization’s hands.

”There are 86,000 or so M1’s hopefully coming back to the Army,” said Johnson. “We hope to see them in the future.”

The CMP is a federally chartered non-profit corporation tasked with promoting firearms safety training and rifle practice. It originated as the Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship in 1903 under orders from Congress to improve the country’s marksmanship skills to minimize training in case of war. Split off from the U.S. Army under the Clinton-administration in 1996, it still conducts training courses and holds shooting competitions nationwide but draws its primary source of funding through the sale of surplus firearms to qualifying members of the public which were donated to the organization by the Army.

However, the CMPs stocks of surplus arms are diminishing.

In 2010, the organization’s most numerous firearm, the M-1 Garand rifle was limited to just 125,000 guns on hand that included complete rifles, stripped receivers, and welded drill rifles. Since then, the Obama administration repeatedly blocked efforts to bring surplus donated military rifles back from overseas allies looking to rid themselves of obsolete hardware. As noted by the CMP’s sale page on the rifle, most common variants became sold out in the past two years.

An influx of 86,000 highly-collectable rifles, largely all made before 1957, would likely revitalize the organization, and ensure its work for years to come.

Thousands of surplus M1s were loaned to U.S. allies in Europe and Asia in the mid-20th Century and the guns remain in limited use by the Philippine military with some ROTC units and provincial police units, including CAFGU auxiliary police.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
[T]he Obama administration repeatedly blocked efforts to bring surplus donated military rifles back from overseas allies looking to rid themselves of obsolete hardware.

Remember, boys and girls, no matter what else happens, Bill Clinton’s wife is not our President.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Excellent news! The CMP has been nearing the end of their Garand supply, so this will be a nice shot in the arm, if everything goes as planned.

quote:
[T]he Obama administration repeatedly blocked efforts to bring surplus donated military rifles back from overseas allies looking to rid themselves of obsolete hardware.

Not quite. The State Department under Clinton, later followed by an Executive Order from Obama, blocked private companies from importing former US rifles, like the South Korean-owned Garands that the Koreans were trying to sell to Century Arms. The E.O. directed the State Department to automatically deny any such import request from a private company.

However, Clinton's/Obama's actions did not prevent the US military from bringing back rifles that had been loaned to our allies, which do not require approval from the State Department since they remain US government property and don't have to be "imported". Once the military receives loaned rifles back, the military can choose to process them out and turn them over to the CMP.

So far, to my knowledge, this Executive Order has not been overturned by Trump. It's just that any rifles loaned to the Phillipines and being returned to the Army are not affected by the E.O.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Any guess on how long the process might be in order to order one of these up? 6-8mo maybe?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it may be a while. Notice the vague wording of the article.

"rifles may be headed [here]"

"could end up [at the CMP]"

"hopefully coming back"

"hope to see them"

So it sounds like it's far from a done deal. Not to mention the time needed to ship them back, have the Army process them out, have the CMP unpack and grade them, etc.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Sorry if I unjustly besmirched the previous Administration by implication. Wink

But Bill Clinton’s wife is still not our President.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I only need three more,grandkids you know Cool

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping they'll find another stash of M1 Carbines somewhere. I got an M1 rifle when DCM was selling them for $165. Picked up a carbine a while later for $200 and like an idiot I sold it. I want another one. Mad

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
86,000, that's a a lot of rifles.

86,000, that's not very many rifles.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And just remember that not each and every one of these will be pristine shooters. I bet a bunch will be nothing more than parts donors.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
And just remember that not each and every one of these will be pristine shooters. I bet a bunch will be nothing more than parts donors.

Based on the rough condition of other guns brought in from tropical climates and the hard use many of these had in combating Muslim insurgents my guess is 10% will come in good to go as is, and another similar number will be parted together to make functional rack grades. So roughly 17000 rifles

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post