SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 870 vs 870 Police Magnum
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 vs 870 Police Magnum Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I've read that the Police models were built "heavier".

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I can't imagine a standard 870 to be frail.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6324 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Examples would be trigger housings made of metal(aluminum I think) instead of plastic. Tool steel extractors instead of MIM.
Probably other parts made with a higher quality material.
Others will know more than me. Also probably videos and other info on the net.

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I bought a regular 870 receiver, it’s an 870, not gonna overthink it.

It’ll never get shot enough to fail.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6324 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Police magnums are a good bit “heavier” duty, but like you said… if it’s not going to be abused you’d likely never wear it out. I picked up a lightly used LEO, 870 Police Magnum and SBS’d it. I’d like to get a Vang Comp treated barrel for it sometime.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dry-Fly - Am I correct in stating (actually asking) that to SBS a shotgun you follow the same NFA process as any other NFA item but the cost is $10.00 instead of $200.00? Thanks Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Dry-Fly - Am I correct in stating (actually asking) that to SBS a shotgun you follow the same NFA process as any other NFA item but the cost is $10.00 instead of $200.00? Thanks Mark

It’s $200 to make anything.

Posts: 635 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Here's another discussion, ten years old but including a statement from
REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, LE DIVISION:

https://rem870.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=601

Probably things have changed ...

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:

You are thinking of an “AOW” or Any Other Weapon. To “manufacture” a SBS, SBR, or a suppressor for that matter you file a Form 1 and pay the atf $200.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I personally don't like the express models and my personal favorites are the old Wingmasters, Police models and the pre-express Magnum shotguns. There is a noticeable difference in the quality of the receivers and smoothness. The fit and finish is worlds better than the Express HD models.

I rebuilt a Wingmaster from the 70's and restored a Ohio National guard 870 Wingmaster. They are fantastic shotguns!

Here's the ONG shotgun.

Pre-restoration

Post-restoration

My 1974 Wingmaster rebuilt into a riot shotgun. I upgraded it with a Police barrel, a Police shell lift carrier and a Police bolt assembly. I also modified the ejector to work with magnum shells since it was made for 2-3/4 shells only. Now it works with magnums too.

I still need to upgrade the bolt and carrier on the ONG restoration shotgun with the flex-tab upgrades that prevent jams which occurred in older 870's which used to require the removal of the trigger group to clear stuck shells between the bottom of the bolt and carrier. The flex-tab allows the shooter to work the bolt and slide to overcome the jam.

Once that's done, it's combat reliable.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5407 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the stuff here is spot on. I'll add that were I buying a shotgun at the current time I would happily buy an old Remington but I would not buy a new one. The quality of their last ones before they went bust was terrible. YMMV.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I picked up a used police department 870 Police Magnum a couple of years before Remington was run into the ground. It was pretty neglected but I was able to sand blast off the rust (inside & out. no pitting). Found a NIW PM trigger group & a NIW PM bolt & carrier. Added a new mag tube & spring, cerakoted it & a couple of other "addons." Were I to need another it would only be a Police Magnum from the old days.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Definitely recommend the older Police Magnum (do not know what about current production models). The one we owned had a good feel and smooth action. It was my late wife's favorite.

Posts: 162 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Here's the ONG shotgun.

What's the device at the muzzle end? Is that a huge clamp for the magazine extension?

God bless America.

Posts: 13506 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Here's the ONG shotgun.

What's the device at the muzzle end? Is that a huge clamp for the magazine extension?

Bayonet lug.

Posts: 924 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Also, the express and civilian versions have dimples in the mag tube to prevent an extended magazine tube from functioning. Those dimples can be knocked out or sanded down though.

Nice shotguns Tony!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Here's my mint condition 1986 vintage Remington 870 MAGNUM with rifle sights...

This shotgun looks like it just came off the rack at Big 5. I've only shot it once and I don't have the heart to change anything about it. It's such a beautiful shotgun! I'd say this thing has less than 30 rounds through it as I bought it perhaps unfired from the previous owner for about $450.

I bought the ONG 870 for $299 from Sportsman's outdoor superstore. They lasted about an hour before selling out. I only wish the bayonet clamp was the blade style front sight instead of the bead. I believe this was the Air Force configuration and the blade was the Marine Corps configuration.

I still need to buy a proper bayonet for it.

Not my shotgun, but here's a picture with the proper bayonet for what I have.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5407 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not my shotgun, but here's a picture with the proper bayonet for what I have.

Thank you, and M1Garandy too. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13506 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I've read that the Police models were built "heavier".

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I can't imagine a standard 870 to be frail.

Incorrect. An 870 receiver is an 870 receiver is an 870 receiver. Express, magnum, wing master, police, all the same receiver.

Now at certain times in Remington's history, some receivers received more attention to detail and more polishing and fitment, but the base recievers were the same.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Any 870 is the same as any other 870. The only differences are furniture and finish, along with the stamping.

At one time there was difference with the 870Ps having metal trigger housings but today, they all come with plastic.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post