SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Leupold Scout Scope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Scout Scope Login/Join 
posted
I seek a Leupold scout scope for a Ruger scout rifle in .308. Which Leupold model? What about a different brand/model?

Posts: 94 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I've been EXTREMELY happy with a Burris 2-7x scout scope.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've used various 2x pistol scopes as scout scopes. (Because I had plenty on hand. 2x can work, variables don't because the eye relief is wrong)

When I bought my Steyr scout I bought a Leopold and I'm glad I did. Sleeker setup than the pistol scopes I have on other rifles.

Looking at their website, seems they no longer make the model I have. Replacing it with the VX-Freedom 1.5-4 which is too bad. I'd take a good look at what Burris offers before buying that. Or track down a used old Leupold 2x.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
The Burris variable scope works through all magnification settings. Never an issue.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a Burris 2-7x scout scope and I also am EXTREMELY pleased with it so far. Mine is mounted on a Springfield M1A Scout Squad. This combination were made for each other!

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
It's a shame Leupold no longer makes the FX-II SCOUT 2.5X28. I have one on my GSR and have taken elk at 268 and 235 yards and numerous deer at shorter ranges with it. I'm a fan of the scout/long eye relief scope idea and recommend looking for a used Leupold (without knowing anything about the other makes).

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a VX-3 2.5x32 handgun scope on my 7.62 Garand.

This one:

https://www.leupold.com/vx-3-h...32-duplex-riflescope

For me it works quite well.

I also have a Burris 3-12x32 handgun scope in the box that I'm going to put on one of my other rifles - just have to figure out which one. Smile

The reason I went with the handgun scopes instead of the rifle scout scopes is because the listed eye-relief specs. are better - as in more of it. The Leupold Fx-II 2.5x28 listed the eye relief at 9.5 whereas the handgun scope has it at 15.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not know that fixed power was more desirable (though one reply indicated no issues with variable). Changing my use case, let’s say I have a rail mount that provides a bridge over the breech of my Ruger Scout rifle, thus, I can mount an optic closer to the rear. Will a typical scope work? Or, is there some design difference in the stock (or something else) such that a scout scope is more desirable?

Posts: 94 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I have an XS rail on my Ruger GSR (308) It run from the rear peep sight out to the end of were the scout rail would be. You can mount any type of optic you prefer.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the “scout” rifle has the proper mount, there’s no reason a scope with a usual short eye relief cannot be mounted over the receiver and used that way like any other rifle and sight.

Back in the days when Jeff Cooper and others were writing about the “scout rifle” concept, I don’t recall any specific discussion of why the scope was mounted forward of the receiver, but it was, I believe, in keeping with Cooper’s concept for the weapon (and “weapon” was how he envisioned it, or at least justified its design).

Without getting too deep into the supposed military application that the gun would fill, he made it clear that the rifle and sight were designed to enable the fast engagement of human-sized targets at intermediate ranges that were encountered while moving through hostile areas on a scouting mission. I don’t remember specific distances, but my concept of the term would encompass something like 50 to 200-250 yards. Although the bolt action rifle and 308 Winchester cartridge were chosen for reliability and ballistic effectiveness (IIRC), the emphasis was on speed and accuracy at the envisioned distances. Cooper believed that by firing a (very) few well-aimed shots a military scout would be able to break contact with the enemy and deter pursuit.

Mounting a low-powered scope sight forward of the receiver was evidently in support of the “fast” part of the engagements. The scout concept was originally developed in the days before the common availability of low powered variable optical sights and therefore fixed low power scopes were chosen for the concept. Too much magnification can make it difficult to find a close distance target quickly and it’s usually easier to pick up the viewed image with lower power.

As for mounting a scope with long eye relief farther forward than usual for optical sights of the era, I don’t recall any specific discussion of that factor at the time, but I believe it was always understood to have a couple of benefits for the scout rifle concept. It would encourage keeping both eyes open when engaging the target which is desirable for situational awareness and the ability to keep the target in sight and track it if necessary. In addition, if the sight is mounted farther from one’s eyes, the scope body and mount block less of the shooter’s view.

Added:
In looking at the current Ruger Scout offerings, I see that they have the traditional system that permits mounting a scope over the receiver using Ruger’s proprietary rings. I do know, too, that there is at least one adapter that’s designed to clamp onto the two Ruger attachment points behind and ahead of the ejection port. That’s a one-piece Picatinny rail base that permits more mounting options.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all responses.

posted Hide Post
Meant to add earlier:

The reason I like the longer eye relief for my use of scout scopes is so I don't have to search as much (or at all) for the reticle.

It's a long distance from my eye to the beginning of the scope that is mounted forward of the receiver on the Garand and I found, by testing a number of different brands and magnifications, that I preferred the ones with the most eye relief. If you have the opportunity to do so, I'd recommend trying out a variety of scopes.

Interested to hear what you get!

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I also have a burris 2x7 on an M-1 garand.Been very pleased also

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stupid question from a Ruger Scout rifle guy who currently just has an Aimpoint T1 mounted. I originally wanted a Leupold Scout scope but they were impossible to find. I like that Leupold variable handgun scope. Are there any gotcha's I need to know about before putting a handgun scope on a rifle?

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me there haven't been any downsides, and none out there that I'm aware of, but so far it's been just a couple of trips to the range so I don't have much practical use to qualify its use at the moment.

I, too, am interested to hear from others regarding any cons to the handgun scope on a rifle set-up.

Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I really like the Burris XTR III.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post