SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    first ar lower build: is the buffer tube screwed in far enough?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

first ar lower build: is the buffer tube screwed in far enough? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Comparing how much my other rifles catch the buffer spring retaining pin, this doesn't seem like much. Is this enough?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Looks like it might go one more turn. You'll know if it goes. It won't if it don't.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
That's as far as it goes.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Even while pushing down on the plunger tit? If so, then that's it.

I agree it doesn't look like much engagement. Hard to tell from the picture.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Even pushing down the plunger as far as I can, I can't get another rotation out of the tube. I suppose I could gently file away some of the lip on the tube end, allowing me to get another rotation. Good idea? Or am I asking for trouble?

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
According to what you say, it's good where it is then. Remember it's only holding that plunger from flying out. No need to file it.

ETA: I blew up the picture on my monitor. It looks right.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. Thanks!

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

posted Hide Post
I agree, never file anything. Well of course unless something is not made correctly and you have no other choice. My example is that a lower I was building, did not have the bolt hold open area cut/formed right from the factory-(on an Anderson lower it was a common issue,I had 2), so the lever would not fit in place.I had to file down the area, some might file the part, but on a part that gets a lot of punishment/sudden forceful impact, I figured it would be better to file the area with too much material.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
It's fine. Once the upper is on, the buffer is against the BCG and relieved pressure off of the pin.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post