SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Useless Rifle, But Got It Anyway...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Useless Rifle, But Got It Anyway... Login/Join 
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I saw one last night at Atwoods in Fort Worth for $319. No idea what the actual wood was, but it wasn't maple.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Useless?
I have 2 Ruger 10/22's and love both of them!
<<snip>>

Okay, to clarify, I didn't really mean "useless" as in TOTALLY useless... I just meant that I spent more on a rifle because it was pretty when I already have a 10/22 in the safe. They are totally useful, and everybody should own at LEAST one of them!

The stock is beautiful!

Honestly, over the last 5 years or so, I'm gravitating back to plinking away with .22's
Between one of the two 10/22's or the Ruger MkIII. Next purchase is probably going to be the Ruger 22lr / 22mag revolver.

for $20, you can shoot all day

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
<<snip>>
Honestly, over the last 5 years or so, I'm gravitating back to plinking away with .22's
<<snip>>
for $20, you can shoot all day

Exactly the same for me! I now own way more .22s than anything else, and half of them are Rugers:
* Ruger 10/22, original carbine
* Ruger 10/22, 75th Anniversary sporter
* Ruger American Rimfire rifle
* Ruger MK-II Target
* S&W Victory 22 target pistol
* Winchester 9422XTR lever-action rifle
* Rossi revolver, 6-shot stainless

As far as the Ruger brand goes, I also have:
* AR-556
* EC9S
* LCP (2nd gen of the original style)

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 22 rimfire rifle is the epitome of useful not useless!
My friend just picked one up- going out to break it in in a couple days. I like the maple stock and deluxe sporter lines. My friend got a smoking deal- out the door for under $300, which is close to what run of the mill carbines are going for these days

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
<<snip>> My friend got a smoking deal- out the door for under $300, which is close to what run of the mill carbines are going for these days

Sounds like he stole that one! LOL

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, to clarify, I didn't really mean "useless" as in TOTALLY useless... I just meant that I spent more on a rifle because it was pretty when I already have a 10/22 in the safe. They are totally useful, and everybody should own at LEAST one of them!

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Nice! Reminds me a lot of the old Walmart-exclusive stainless 10/22, the so-called "Walmart Special". Just with a lighter stock.

I got a Walmart special I picked up about 10 years back! I put a BSA Sweet 22 scope on it, came with 3 sets of knobs for different weights of 22 bullets.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I got a Walmart special I picked up about 10 years back! I put a BSA Sweet 22 scope on it, came with 3 sets of knobs for different weights of 22 bullets.

I had one of those years ago, but with the carbine stock. Sure wish I'd kept it as it looked awesome and shot well. I especially loved the laminated stock in that gray/green color!

One final comment from me: Based on what I've been able to find out on another forum, the stock on both versions of the Anniversary edition are made from birch, then stained/treated according to which final finish it is getting. No maple... no walnut... and certainly no plywood! Big Grin