SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Ruger American in 300blk…issue with 10rd Pmag that came with it.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger American in 300blk…issue with 10rd Pmag that came with it. Login/Join 
posted
So what is happening with the gun is a little weird. When I load the 10rd mag and cycle 110gr - 150gr ammo, it cycles fine without any issues. When I load 220gr ammo into the 10rd mag, the bolt strips the first round without issue, but the bolt binds up upon trying to extract the round and I have to really pull hard to get the bolt to unlock. It also scrapes the brass on the round. If I load the round and drop the mag, the round extracts extremely smooth. When I load the same 220gr ammo into my 20rd Pmags, all the 220gr ammo cycles smooth as butter without any bolt binding.

Do you think the 220gr ammo in the 10rd mag is making the mag swell causing the bolt to bind? I’ll just use the 10rd for supers and the 20’s for subs, but it is a very strange occurrence.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Is it a 300 BLK specific Pmag?

Their 300 BLK specific ones are designed to deal with the heavier subsonic bullets that don't play well with standard 5.56 Pmags.

Not sure what role the bolt action has to play in it, since my experience in 300 BLK is all AR/MCX platforms or single shot Handi rifles.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Is it a 300 BLK specific Pmag?

Their 300 BLK specific ones are designed to deal with the heavier subsonic bullets that don't play well with standard 5.56 Pmags.

Not sure what role the bolt action has to play in it, since my experience in 300 BLK is all AR/MCX platforms or single shot Handi rifles.

No Sir, not the 300blk mag. It came with a standard 5.56 mag.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a problem with 10rd pmags on my Savage , found the feed lips were rubbing on the bolt. A little work with a half round file fixed that.

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The PMag that comes with American Ranch caused the same issues with heavy subs as you described in both my AR and the Ruger…the best magazines I have used for .300blk are the Lancer dedicated .300blk no matter the bullet weight…Lancers have become my favorite design in polymer AR mags…they are a little more spendy than PMags but IMHO they are worth the extra money spent especially for 300black subs…

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/la...ighter-magazine.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
My American Ranch came with a standard 5.56 mag. I replaced it with a Lancer 300blk mag as well but also didn't have issues with the 300blk PMag either, the Lancer just matched.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602: the Lancer just matched.

Yep…all my dedicated 300black mags are either FDE transparent Lancers or dedicated 300black PMags sprayed in FDE…plus all my subs are cast bullets and powder coated in Zombie Green (no mixing them up with 5.56 Big Grin)…if it’s a black or transparent grey magazine it’s 5.56.

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
This is a timely topic! I'm thinking about getting a RAR in 300blk. I think I read somewhere the mags that came with it are faulty? Thin plastic or something?

So for those of you who have one of these, would I be crazy for wanting one, putting it in a Magpul stock and what kind of optic??

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
So for those of you who have one of these, would I be crazy for wanting one, putting it in a Magpul stock and what kind of optic??

I've had this same thought as well, however you are required to use an AICS mag in order to make it work with anything shorter than a .308. I wish Magpul would create a bottom metal that would allow a 5.56 mag to work with their hunter chassis.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
The ribs on the inside of 5.56 Magpul are too thick for the 220's and similar heavies. The Lancer mags do better, both companies make BLK specific mags. Supers will work fine, most heavy subs the bullet diameter at the rib(Magpul) is too large unless seated enough to feed.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Magpul only has a 30 round .300blk specific mag. They are releasing soon a 20 round mag (10 rd too?)

Maybe try Lancer .300blk mags.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I had the same trouble with the Pmags. Lancer 300 BLK AWM made the problem go away. The polymer body and metal feed lip combination is a better design in my opinion.

This is not to bash Pmags. They are my go-to for 556. They are good at what they do.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have the Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 along with the 300BO…the 10 round PMag that came with the blackout works fine in anything I have chambered for .223/5.56…so I don’t think the magazine is faulty but it just doesn’t work well with the fat assed subsonic bullets…
As far as optics are concerned I have a Leupold FX-II 2.5X20MM fixed power scope on the 300 black out (it weighs under 7 ounces w/O rings) and the FOV is excellent for the ranges I will encounter hog hunting.

On the 5.56 I have my well used and dependable Redfield Revolution 2-7X33 with the AccuRange reticle…this is one of my favorite scopes ever…

This series of compact rifles from Ruger are handy, excellent and fun guns.

Jimmy Buffet

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I ordered 3 of the Lancer 300 blk mags. Big Grin

I also took the RARR to the range yesterday for a test run. I used the 10rd mags for Supers and the 20rd mags for the Subsonic loads. The ammo used were my reloads and ran like a champ with zero issues. I sighted in at 50yds with the following results:

Hornady VMax 110gr w/19gr IMR 4227 5shots into 1 hole @ 50yds

Speer TNT 125gr w/17gr IMR 4227 5 shots into 1 hole @ 50yds

Everglades 220gr FMJ w/10gr IMR 4227 5 shots 1.25” 5” low at 50yds. I held up 2 hash marks on the Leopold scope and hit dead on at 50yds. This load was nice and quiet using my SWR Trident 9 suppressor. It is a 9mm can, but rated for S/S 300 blk. I just do not have the time or patience to do another NFA for a 308 can when this one works so well.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
So the RARR takes AR pattern mags? Interesting. Pity that Hogue stock is so fugly.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lancer mags arrived today……problem solved Big Grin