SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AK fans - Poly Technologies Type 56S-2 Bakelite Side-Folder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK fans - Poly Technologies Type 56S-2 Bakelite Side-Folder Login/Join 
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted
You don’t see a lot of these. I snagged it just before the ban. Very few had cleared Customs so I knew it would go up.

free image hosting website

image hosting websites

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Those are fairly rare. Nice example! I really like the red phenolic furniture.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I've been keeping my eye out for a VZ 58 but not much out there. The wood impregnated plastic furniture (aka beaver barf) on some of them is unique.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Nice; the only way that gets better is with a milled receiver and spike.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very nice example. I have one that I had for several years before I discovered the little cleaning kit located in the stock insert. Surprised the heck out of me when I pushed in the little pin and the spring loaded kit popped out.

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nice! I own one too, specifically the example shown in the Vickers AK47 book.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Very nice!
I've got a friend that has a Norinco double under-folder (spike in front, stock in back) I've been trying to get from him for years ...

He said he wouldn't sell it to me for what its worth because he'd feel bad, I told him to sell it to me for what he paid and 3% interest, its more than the bank would pay.

He laughed, said he'd give it to me in his will ... but I'll probably die before he does!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Here are mine.
One is a factory Chinese build (the one pictured in the Vickers book) and the other was imported as an unfired demilled kit and built stateside (since parted with to help offset the proper Chinese rifle purchase)

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Cool. I don’t have the book but I assume we’re talking about same model, unless by specifically you mean you bought #86 from Larry Vicker’s collection at the auction linked below. If so, wow! Mine was part of the same run at PLA arsenal 416 and was imported in the same batch by Keng’s Firearms Specialty. Others were made at factory 386, and Sile also managed to got some in before the ban.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876476603

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
quote:

Cool. I don’t have the book but I assume we’re talking about same model, unless by specifically you mean you bought #86 from Larry Vicker’s collection at the auction linked below. If so, wow! Mine was part of the same run at PLA arsenal 416 and was imported in the same batch by Keng’s Firearms Specialty. Others were made at factory 386, and Sile also managed to got some in before the ban.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876476603

No, the guns in his books are not all his. A friend knows him and the photog and loaned his NIB one to them for the book. I posted pics above...mine's a Poly Tech vs. Norinco rollmarked gun; you can tell by the standard grip shape vs. the profiled one on Norinco marked guns.

Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Nice AK!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Beautiful

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Stunning AK P210! Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Side question. Do you find the side folders harder to shoot than a fixed stock rifle?

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Side question. Do you find the side folders harder to shoot than a fixed stock rifle?
Speaking for myself, those and the triangle sidefolders are decent. Underfolders and the Hungarian single-strut sidefolders not so much.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:

Not at all. They “lifted” it from Israel’s Galil variant so it’s quite good plus has better length of pull, an inch longer than wood and under fold stocks.

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, the guns in his books are not all his. A friend knows him and the photog and loaned his NIB one to them for the book. I posted pics above...mine's a Poly Tech vs. Norinco rollmarked gun; you can tell by the standard grip shape vs. the profiled one on Norinco marked guns.

So I take it yours was in the same batch from 416. Interesting considering how few. I have the box and everything too but it has about 200 rounds through it. Unlike you I couldn’t resist. It’s been in storage for 30 years since though and has only been out a couple times for inspection and wipe down.

As I recall the Norinco ones were built for export from the start while ours actually came off the military assembly line which had very high standards and stringent quality control, and thus a commensurate quality difference.

Norinco models also lack some not obvious features such as, for example, a spring retained firing pin. Not a big issue with hard primers used in military machine gun ammo but with softer commercial primers it’s a nice to have safety feature.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have the box too and an original sealed Poly Tech magazine but the +2 and bayo and manual are long since separated. The box was in such tatters from water damage during storage, I drove 3hrs ea way to meet my buddy at a shooting event (he works for Dead Air Silencers) to pick it up (he shipped the rifle itself to my FFL).