SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    new S&W M&P12 shotgun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new S&W M&P12 shotgun Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You have got to be shitting me.

What a piece of shit.

They will sell a ton of them.

Rolls eyes.

Cant remove the stupid lock from a revolver that absolutely no one wants, lets sell some stupid garbage.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's got that cool Picatinny rail, though, for sights and scopes and such. You really need that on a gun which has an effective range of about a hundred yards. Smile

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Para your 3000 turned out really nice. Mine is still how the police left it. It was my go to for watching over my dog when coyote activity was really high a couple years back.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'm good with my IWI TS12.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I'm good with my IWI TS12.
I've only seen photos. It looks awkward.

S&W 3000s- blued, hardchromed, parkerized

The folding stock model at the bottom of the pic served as my home defense shotgun in the late 1980s.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Even an 18" traditional shotgun can be awkward as a car gun.

I got to handle the lighter KS7 Kel-Tec in the local gunstore not so long ago.

It felt so handy and maneuverable, I gave it right back to the clerk and ran away, because I had already exceeded my budget that day.

A KS7 would be perfect for arming my Trunk Monkey®, for those occasions when a tire iron just isn't good enough.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The photo of the folding stock 3000 is the exact model my PD bought. Try as I might to stop it, lots of guys who shot it would put their face either very close to or right up on the big hinge of the folder and get punched in the face when they shot it.
I would buy a conventional stocked 3K. They are not very common though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's the earlier version of the Choate folder. The later version has an attached plastic cheekpiece.

It never bothered me

posted Hide Post
Yep carried a 3000 for about 10 years before the agency started issuing Remington 870p's for duty. The Smith is wayyy much smoother in cycling than a 870 to me...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked one up, mostly because I wanted to add a bullpup shotty to my collection. I kind of like it. I know, everyone says it’s just a more expensive KSG, but to be fair, any bullpup pump shotgun with two side by side mag tubes under a single barrel is going to be compared to the KSG, like every new striker fired pistol was compared to a Glock for a while. There are some things inherent to the basic design and configuration that you’re pretty much stuck with. But, it seems like they’ve made some improvements over KelTec, like better ergos with a replaceable AR style grip and safety, the ability to pull the top back a bit to allow better access to the chamber/feed area in case of a jam, VFG standard equipment (it is removable, but not sure why you’d want to leave it off), buttons that reduce the pressure on the shell catchs to make loading easier, as well as allowing you to unload the mag tubes directly, loaded chamber indicator, and screw in choke tubes. Also, I’d rate S&W’s QC better than KelTec. As for the price, once the “new gun premium” drops off, the price will come down, although I expect that it will always be more expensive that the KSG.

I had looked at a couple of other guns. Although I like IWI stuff, the TS12 just felt too big and bulky and I was turned off as soon as I handled it. The UTAS 15 was also big, and I was worried about the reliability since they seem to have had to go through a couple of generations, plus worried about support for the gun. Don’t care for the box mag fed Turkish bullpups as if you want more than the standard 5 round mag, you have to live with a long mag hanging out the bottom. I do like the KS7, but not having an easy way to put a VFG on the pump forend was a deal breaker for me.

Went into this knowing the limitations and with the knowledge that a normal configuration shotgun is going to be a lot better for a number of things, like reloading. A shotgun with a loading port that is just a single shell wide that easily guides a shell into the mag tube is going to be a lot easier that a big wide opening where you deliberately have to angle the shells into the tube that you want to load, but to be fair, if you have to combat reload after letting off 15 2-3/4 shells, you probably brought the wrong gun to the fight. What I see this type of gun most useful for is in-home defense where the short length and high capacity is best used. I need to find some of the minishells because they apparently will work and each tube can hold 10 shells each. For in-home defense, 20+1 minishell slugs or 00 buck is going to be pretty formidable.

What I don’t like is that fact the the tube selector is easily moved if you lay the gun down on the side (a number of reviewers have commented on that), and they need to make a polymer or kydex cheekrest since your cheek goes right on the metal cover over the action, and that gets hot/cold. Also, wish it were side ejection instead of bottom ejection.

All that said, it’s not to everyone’s taste, and there are limitations of most of these non-traditional shotgun designs that make sure that traditional shotguns aren’t going anywhere. It’s new and interesting, and it’s not like many of us don’t have money to spend on new stuff, or don’t already have a bunch of guns that do pretty much the same thing. Wink

ETA: Like it or not, apparently there is a market for these things, and I don’t really fault S&W for trying to get in on it.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i have a Beretta Semi auto. It has been super reliable.
Now With a Mossberg 500 and 590 I see little need for a semi auto defense SG. I know many love the Benelli and rightfully so.

But in my experience one can put shells on target with a pump at a pace equal to a semi auto.

Para, I do not know how the stocks are on your two are. But after putting a Magpul on my 590 I am guessing it would be a big improvement. I sure
like mine. Looks good too.

Also, an 18" pump with pistol grip is about as handy and one can get imho.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Aaaaaand there's a recall.

That was quick!

Recall Notice for Cracked Barrels

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
Aaaaaand there's a recall.

That was quick!

Recall Notice for Cracked Barrels

Shotty workmanship.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, let's hope the smith learned his wesson.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, given that it’s all those manufactured before 10/15, and today is only 3 days later, I guess that means every single one that’s left the factory. So much for S&W QC being better than Keltec. How do you mess up a shotgun barrel anyway?

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
How do you mess up a shotgun barrel anyway?

And people call S&W a premium manufacturer, what a joke.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That reminds me. I should pull out my S&W 1000M semi-auto 12 gauge magnum and put some rounds through it. It's been quite a few years since I've shot it.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
That thing looks like something Sigourney Weaver would be running around the freighter with.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post