SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    new S&W M&P12 shotgun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new S&W M&P12 shotgun Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
A dual-tubular magazine bullpup shotgun? They must be paying licensing fees to Kel-Tec for this.
MSRP is $1165.

www.smith-wesson.com/mp12

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
At some point I'll end up with one of these crazy shotty designs. I have no clue what I'll do with it except make noise at the range.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8854 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How about shelving the Buck Rogers gadgets and getting back to your roots of making quality revolvers and auto pistols?

The older I get, the more I loathe the concept of product marketing. Have 16 year old gamers taken over their marketing department?

Anyone who wants one of those awkward things should just get it straight from Kel-Tec.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’ll stick with my old S&W 870 clone.

Posts: 9967 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Have 16 year old gamers taken over their marketing department?

Probably yes, actually.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
This may actually be the best option for when the Boston Dynamics robots end up coming for us.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Those forward vertical grips make me cringe. Only cause the story I read about a cheap one breaking off while guy was dumping rounds and basically shot off his hand.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8854 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes! Brings to mind another Smith shotgun I bought based on the name: The 916. Major POS.
Then my department bought the 3000. It worked! But they bought the folding stock model and that was it for practicing with it.
How about a reliable, reasonably priced and well made tactical shotgun of a more conventional style? Then I buy one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
For your viewing pleasure.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about a reliable, reasonably priced and well made tactical shotgun of a more conventional style? Then I buy one.

Would you though, or would you more likely buy a proven Mossberg, Benelli or Beretta? I can’t see Smith taking any market share from the major shotgun players, I can see them selling this funky thing though. I mean sure it’s not gonna take the place of a well made conventional tactical shotty but there are a ton of folks who want a cool toy and this is basically a Keltec with hopefully better build quality and availability.

Is it for me?? Not really but it will sell.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Those forward vertical grips make me cringe. Only cause the story I read about a cheap one breaking off while guy was dumping rounds and basically shot off his hand.

When I lived in RI, a guy who would come into the lgs did that. He lost part of 2 fingers. He had some no name vfg on his brand new KSG and said it happened after a couple of tubes of shells. I didn’t see how bad his hand actually was, it was all wrapped up when he came in. Never saw him again after that.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Well said! You share my feelings exactly!

quote:
How about shelving the Buck Rogers gadgets and getting back to your roots of making quality revolvers and auto pistols?

The older I get, the more I loathe the concept of product marketing. Have 16 year old gamers taken over their marketing department?

Anyone who wants one of those awkward things should just get it straight from Kel-Tec.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just want to congratulate smith and Wesson on their innovation. Only took them 10 years to make an almost exact replica of a KSG. They should have done SOMETHING different, maybe semi auto? I guess at least they don’t hype up their products for weeks… they just release them. Kimber, on the other hand, has something unexpected coming in 2 days

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
What's the point of this? Seriously? Pay more money for a copy of a Kel Tec? Why? Who's gonna do that because it says Smith & Wesson on it?

This is a dumb move.

*Edit - Maybe I’m being a bit harsh. There’s an ass for every seat, and I’m sure there’s someone out that who’s been wanting a more expensive, heavier, all-steel KSG. How many of them is the question.

Also, I’m a sucker for the Buck Rogers space-gun look. I’m a child of the 80’s and I’ve got a handful of them in my safe, and hope to add more. This one doesn’t do it for me that way. It looks like an overwrought KSG with extra stupid slapped on it.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Also, I’m a sucker for the Buck Rogers space-gun look. I’m a child of the 80’s and I’ve got a handful of them in my safe, and hope to add more. .

Calicos?

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It's never one that's been on my "gotta have" list, but they're interesting to me. Maybe less Buck Rogers and more Alien M4A1 pulse rifle type stuff. For sure, anything bullpup, but not so much these shotguns.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The KSG has always interested me but I just can’t get over the cheap feel of their guns. If I see the S&W12 in the wild I can easily see myself buying it.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed. If they must build a shotgun, why not bring back the 3000? Remington isn't exactly competing at the moment and I imagine they'd sell like hotcakes.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The S&W Model 3000 pump and Model 1000 auto shotguns were manufactured by Howa Machinery of Japan, so, that's not going to happen.

I'm a fan of the 3000. In at least one respect, the 3000 is superior to the Remingtom 870 it copies, and that's the shell latches. In the Remington, these latches are long metal bars that must be staked in place. In the 3000, these latches are very short and work off of a pivot rather than being a long leaf spring. If you've ever had a shell latch come unstaked in an 870, you know what a pain in the ass it can be to get working again. Oh, and the 3000 is not susceptible to the types of shell lifter jams of the 870, the reason being this complete redesign of Remington's outdated latching system..

Back in the 1990s, you could find police trade-in 3000s dirt cheap. Here's one I picked up in the 1990s at a pawn shop. The poor thing had been neglected and had rusted internals. Back then, there were a couple of sources for 3000 and 1000 parts - GPC, and a place in Texas, and a third spot I can no longer recall. I replaced all the rusted stuff.

Hardchromed by Accurate Plating and Weaponry. Choate forend, Speedfeed buttstock. The bolt for the buttstock is metric, 8mm. The guy who founded Speedfeed used to keep a small supply of these bolts he had a local machine shop make for him, so I snagged a couple from him. But, things change and he sold the company long ago and now with Speedfeeed, you're dealing with whoever they hired to answer the phones. Too bad.

For a short time after S&W stopped marketing the 3000 and 1000, Mossberg picked up the slack, and in all my years of going to gunshows, I saw only one Mossberg-marked 3000, so, they probably didn't sell very well, but the Japanese make a fine shotgun. Buyers just didn't know enough about the quality of these shotguns. If they had, they might have left the Mossberg 500 on the table and picked up a 3000.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Wow that is a beauty! A lot of good info on the 3000, too, that I didn't know. I guess somebody is buying this plastic starship troopers stuff otherwise they wouldn't be selling it, but it means I'll still be shopping for old stuff off the used rack.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post