SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question about Aimpoint Comp M4S
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Aimpoint Comp M4S Login/Join 
posted
Friend I shot with yesterday is selling his Aimpoint. Good price for me as he's a friend.

I have no experience with this optic but am looking to replace my fixed 3x on an AR. Worth the buy?

I'm an EoTech guy and I love them as they work great for me. I know this is a red dot so it's different from what I have.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of CompML3 and a CompM5 (which is significantly different) sights, and my agency has a bunch of military reject CompM2 Aimpoints. The 2s and 3s have given flawless performance for years, including in pretty hard use. I am a firm fan of the sights, and (evidently) except for the battery, the M4 is very similar.

The sights are of course different in several ways from the EOTech line, but without going into detail, the differences are why I prefer them.

I am obviously in no position to say anything more about that sight, but I personally wouldn’t hesitate.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CompM4 is my favorite optic but take that with a grain of salt since I am biased in my choice.

When I arrived in AFG, they did not have enough optics for everyone in my 12 man squad. To me that was no big deal because I was gunning and then driving. Many of the guys who had multiple tours brought their own (Eotech, Elcan, ACOG, etc..) so we got to try various models.

I ordered a Meopta MRAD to play with and had it sent over. Well, while it was in transit, I was issued a CompM4 by one of the guys leaving.

I fell in love with it. I tried to be easy on it but between driving, gunning and being a dismount, it got banged around in/on that MRAP Maxx Pro.

I have used Eotech, ACOGs, etc.. and I always go back to Aimpoint.

I have tried other Aimpoints but I like the M4 the best.

The only problem I had was that the price of the darn things keep climbing and climbing. Especially since the Army offered them a huge contract.

I would get it, but like I said I am very biased.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I called my buddy and told him I'll buy it. For $700, I think I got a deal looking at the Aimpoint site.
It is the QRP mount as he's calling it which is fine. Fits on a rail is what matters to me.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
The Aimpoint Comp M series is a great choice when you are operating in a 300 meter (or less) world.

As the previous poster stated, they are very rugged and overall, the series is very reliable. Battery life on the M4 is outstanding. Need a little more reach? Get a 3x magnifier for it.

The added bonus is the AA battery. Please dont be cheap; use a quality lithium battery.

Just say no to Duracell.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with an Aimpoint M series.
About 4ish years back the Gander outdoors in Dickson City was closing and was doing 40% off on optics. Got an Aimpoint PRO for $260 and don't care if it's what's considered big now. It works, like all Aimpoint products do.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
In 2004 I bought a CompM2, the same that was being issued in the military at the time. Great optic. Only complaint is the 10 year battery only lasted 9.5 years. LOL. Between that optic and the one issued when I did sandbox trips, I was happy. Like as said, it is a short to medium range optic. There are times a magnified optic would be better. And a magnifier is worth looking into.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
The Aimpoint Comp M series is a great choice when you are operating in a 300 meter (or less) world.

As the previous poster stated, they are very rugged and overall, the series is very reliable. Battery life on the M4 is outstanding. Need a little more reach? Get a 3x magnifier for it.

The added bonus is the AA battery. Please dont be cheap; use a quality lithium battery.

Just say no to Duracell.

I've owned two M4s as well as other Aimpoints and agree on all points.

I had an Aimpoint provided Duracell leak once. There was a time when Duracell was considered a reliable battery, but based on others' anecdotes as well as my own experience, I agree, it's best to rely on better quality options.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked it up from my friend yesterday and he had an Energizer Lithium in it. I changed it with a new Energizer Lithium.