SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    CMP to begin selling surplus M14 rifles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
CMP to begin selling surplus M14 rifles Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd buy one if under $1.5k. We had a Winchester and an H&R through LEOSA at work before we returned them, and they were both excellent rifles. Much nicer than the SA Inc. M1As that I've handled. I was sad when we sent those guns back, and I would love to own one.


-----------------------------------------------------------

Any comments made by this poster are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer.
 
Posts: 12031 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time in the Navy, I was part of burial detail/honor guard for a WWII veteran. We had our M14s provided by the armory, and a Gunner's Mate was one member. I remember looking at mine on the receiver for the manufacturer's marking and thinking: "TRW...I thought they made auto parts."
 
Posts: 4137 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I remember looking at mine on the receiver for the manufacturer's marking and thinking: "TRW...I thought they made auto parts."


Similar to International Harvester (farm and construction equipment) making M1 Garands, or Rock-Ola (jukeboxes), GM (cars and car parts), IBM (typewriters), or National Postal Meter (mailroom equipment) making M1 Carbines, or Singer (sewing machines), Remington Rand (typewriters), or Union Switch & Signal (railway equipment) making 1911s.

In fact, TRW had their fingers in a number of different military endeavors beyond just automotive parts, from autocannons to missiles to satellites to rifles to rocket engines.
 
Posts: 35511 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
^^Of course, I was just 19 then and fresh out of high school (and basic training) pretty much. Smile
During field medical training, my M16A1 was a GM Hydro-matic made one. Went to the range for pistol qualification two years later and drew an M1911A1 that shot very straight. Union Switch and Signal made. Quite a history of domestic manufacturers stepping up to the plate during a crisis.
 
Posts: 4137 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
US&S only made about 55k 1911's so actually being issued one was pretty unusual. The same thing goes for the GM Hydromatic M-16's. In my entire career I think I only saw for or five of those.

quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
^^Of course, I was just 19 then and fresh out of high school (and basic training) pretty much. Smile
During field medical training, my M16A1 was a GM Hydro-matic made one. Went to the range for pistol qualification two years later and drew an M1911A1 that shot very straight. Union Switch and Signal made. Quite a history of domestic manufacturers stepping up to the plate during a crisis.


_____________________________
'I'm pretty fly for a white guy'.

 
Posts: 7369 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My first issued M16A1 was an H&R I still remember the serial number 2216455.
Lots of guns have been issued to me since
M1911A1’s, M16A2’s&4’s M4’s and M9’s, but that first one is the only serial number I recall
 
Posts: 3849 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Any updates on the CMP M14. I have seen the Beretta BM-59 in Grade A for $ 1600, but saw they use different magazines and parts? I had always though they were the same rifle just one made in another country..

I started to price magazines for the M14 and the best price I found is about $ 45 each on sale (20 Rounders)..
 
Posts: 3509 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Right now, it's maybe just a thought exercise, but I've seen over this week that there is a theoretical path to open the NFA registry to pre-'86 items. Given that may or may not ever happen, does anyone think the best M14s might be held back for a while, anyway?
 
Posts: 5938 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nra-life-member:
Any updates on the CMP M14.


None yet. Last word we got was that they're supposed to become available at the end of this year or beginning of the next, so I suspect more details will be forthcoming in the next month or three.

quote:
I have seen the Beretta BM-59 in Grade A for $ 1600, but saw they use different magazines and parts? I had always though they were the same rifle just one made in another country..


No, not the same. Two different rifle designs, but with a shared ancestor.

The BM-59 is a modified M1 Garand that has been lightened, rechambered to 7.62 NATO, and had a detachable magazine and select fire mechanism added. You can convert an existing Garand to a BM-59, though it does involve machining the Garand receiver and bolt. This allowed Italy to cheaply convert its existing stockpiles of Garands into more modern NATO-compliant battle rifles, rather than outright replacing them.

The concept that would become the M14 was originally based on the M1 Garand too (see the experimental T20 rifle), but it ended up moving further away from the Garand during development, especially in its short stroke piston operating system. You cannot convert a M1 Garand into a M14, even with extensive machining.

Parts and mags are not interchangeable between the M-14 and BM-59. The BM-59 magazine is proprietary.
 
Posts: 35511 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
posted Hide Post
quote:


I started to price magazines for the M14 and the best price I found is about $ 45 each on sale (20 Rounders)..


https://shootingsurplus.com/sp...ter-20rd-steel-black


__________________


"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper



 
Posts: 8889 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:


I started to price magazines for the M14 and the best price I found is about $ 45 each on sale (20 Rounders)..


https://shootingsurplus.com/sp...ter-20rd-steel-black


Thank you!
 
Posts: 3509 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    CMP to begin selling surplus M14 rifles

© SIGforum 2026