SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1A upgraded with Glass for the old eyes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1A upgraded with Glass for the old eyes Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
I love my M1A, but don't shoot it much since I was still using open sights. Finally broke down and decided to go with some optics. Picked up a Sadlak Aluminum mount and Sightron 6x24x42 scope for it. After bending my punch trying to get the pin out of the clip latch I took the rifle to a local Smith. Picked up my rifle yesterday and now getting ready to head to the range. I wish I would have done this years ago. Might be this years new "Deer Rifle"

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks GREAT! I bought mine a few years ago when SA was still doing their promotional period & received a free magazine and scope mount, which I thought I would never use. When shooting it at an outside range for the first time I realized that the eyes just weren't there anymore amd decided to mount a Leupold scope. I really like the set-up, especially since ordering a padded cheek piece. The GI style didn't offer enough rise so I ordered a more significant one from Amazon. Made a huge difference!!

Enjoy & please let us know how it works out for you.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Thank You....

Would you mind posting a pick of your cheek piece? I don't need much, but the nylon black one that I tried is too high for my setup. Looking at a few leather models, but can't decide on what to go with?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will try to provide a link:

[URL=TOURBON Leather Buttstock Cheek Rest with Rifle Shell Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010...EJ8ZR9R86M96]Tourbon rifle cheek pad[/URL]

It offers quite a bit of rise so I don't know if it will work for you.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Thank You....

Would you mind posting a pick of your cheek piece? I don't need much, but the nylon black one that I tried is too high for my setup. Looking at a few leather models, but can't decide on what to go with?

I hope the link will be sufficient. I find the whole 'posting a picture' process to be a huge PITA.

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link I haven't seen that set up before. Do the snaps hold it in place pretty good?

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the link I haven't seen that set up before. Do the snaps hold it in place pretty good?

Seems to be pretty secure. Elastic is pretty stout. To be fair I haven’t taken the rifle traipsing through the woods though. Only to the range.

I really like it because I get a solid cheek well with it. Otherwise only my chin touches the buttstock when I look through the scope. As an added bonus it does a great job on my Benelli R1.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Bradley cheek rest is a good option.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:

Is that like the leather lace-on one the military used?
If so, that’s what I had and while it wasn’t pretty it was very functional.
Funny story about it … I bought it at a gun show and the seller was bragging about it being MRT. After he had mentioned it 3-4 times, I asked him if he knew what it means … kinda sheepishly he said he used to but doesn’t remember. So I refreshed his memory, “Mildew Resisting Treatment”
He just said oh, I’d never heard that before, anyway, I bought it for like $10.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
The old gun show hustle. Acronyms are king in the gun world.

The Bradley is not that leather one. I was pretty amazed how well it does, mainly how it stays in place and gets you where you need to be height wise. It's also easy to put on or take off.

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:

Is that like the leather lace-on one the military used?
If so, that’s what I had and while it wasn’t pretty it was very functional.

Bradley is a codura coated kydex / kydex with nylon straps.
Holds tighter than you'd expect, adjustable, and comfortable!
I can't remember who here recommended it, but they were 100% spot on.

I never used the leather one, but I have used the nylon one, the nylon is nice, functional and somewhat comfortable. After a few rounds, you think to yourself- "if this thing was just a little... (Taller, tilted,)"
That's what the Bradley is!

https://bradleycheekrest.com/main.sc

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Bradley adjustable cheek rest all the way! I've got a few of them. He's local to me and we've met a few times. He drops a cheek rest here and there...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m in the club, too. I’ll have to take some pics later. I forget what brand my cheek rest is, but I kind of wish it was higher. I’ve got some foam under it to give it a little more lift, but it’s just not right yet. That Bradly looks neat, but I’ve got a nice piece of USGI walnut on it. Would that rash it up, or is it padded?

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
It's padded. No damage to wood and no permanent mod to the stock.

He now offers them with a cordura outer lining as well so as not to have your cheek resting on bare kydex.

I have one of these and it's very comfortable. For a classic leather look, he has a tan kydex with a leather texture. (pictured above)

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Took me a day to get a picture up. Excuse the kitchen. Can't beat the Bradley, and it won't hurt your stock. That same padding is part of the reason it doesn't move around. It's solid.

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thank You

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
I love my M1A, but don't shoot it much since I was still using open sights. Finally broke down and decided to go with some optics. Picked up a Sadlak Aluminum mount and Sightron 6x24x42 scope for it. After bending my punch trying to get the pin out of the clip latch I took the rifle to a local Smith. Picked up my rifle yesterday and now getting ready to head to the range. I wish I would have done this years ago. Might be this years new "Deer Rifle"

Really sweet looking rifle. Thanks for posting it. Smile

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post