SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you load your AR mags to 30rds, and will your gun reliably strip that top round when fouled?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you load your AR mags to 30rds, and will your gun reliably strip that top round when fouled? Login/Join 
posted
I historically load my mags to the full thirty rounds. I thought I had remedied the reload choke, by using Sprinco Red springs. In doing some shooting yesterday, my gun would not chamber that top round unless I ran the charging handle. The gun was pretty dirty, but not dirty enough that there were any other problems.

So now I am considering either loading to 28 rounds, or training to run the charging handle as the default technique.

I have seen (years ago) at least one trainer advocating the use of the charging handle on a reload.

I suppose it's worth noting that my rifle is typically at the "high port" position, in my "work space", during a reload. So the BCG is fighting the magazine spring tension on that top round, filth, and gravity. I don't know that I'd care to experiment with orienting the rifle differently.

Posts: 2294 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have never had a problem chambering the first round on a fully loaded mag but have gone to loading down to 28 just for easier seating when changing mags on a closed bolt.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem seating on a closed bolt. I have to smack it, of course, and then I pull on it to make sure it's properly latched. Though I suppose no one likely "has a problem" putting a 30rd mag in on a closed bolt; they just prefer the less resistance of a downloaded mag, which I get.

I'll continue the smack/tug, even if I download to 28.

Posts: 2294 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I have never had a problem chambering the first round on a fully loaded mag but have gone to loading down to 28 just for easier seating when changing mags on a closed bolt.

Same here.

No issues with first round feeding. Just intended to help with tactical reloads (replacing a partially expended mag with a full mag, with the bolt closed and a round chambered).

quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Though I suppose no one likely "has a problem" putting a 30rd mag in on a closed bolt; they just prefer the less resistance of a downloaded mag

On one of my ARs, a fully loaded 30 round USGI mag won't seat at all on a closed bolt, regardless of the amount of force used during insertion.

Likely just due to tolerance stacking.

Not an issue with PMAGs though. They have a bit of extra give, even when loaded with 30.

Posts: 32645 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mags are the same way; they've got about one round's worth of give, when loaded with thirty. I use aluminum mags with Magpul followers.

I am part-way through cleaning the rifle in question. I suspect it'll chamber fine, using the paddle, once it's cleaned and oiled. It still sucks that some fouling will make that difference, especially considering I use a silencer, and fouling is therefore accelerated.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My PSA rifle will work with anything. Our work M400s will close the bolt on a mag filled with 30, but they are a bugger to seat under a closed bolt. Pmags are a little more forgiving than metal ones. Some of our guys inadvertently discovered that you can force 31 rounds into a pmag Roll Eyes, and that will cause all kinds of problems.

Posts: 8797 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
I don't believe in wives tales. lol

Posts: 2175 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
27-28 rounds per mag.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7974 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
They were designed to hold 30, they get 30. I've never had issues. The only variation is that I won't keep Pmags loaded without a dust cover installed.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17392 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of Larry Vickers and his 3 golden rules are a visibly lubed BCG, mags downloaded by 1-2rds and slapping and pulling the mag to assure it’s seated properly. Those 3 things eliminate lots of potential problems.

-Jeff

Posts: 172 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I buy 30rd magazines and put 30rds in them. The times I don’t load 30rds are when I load 20rds in a 20rd magazine. Never been a problem for me.

Posts: 17334 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Most of my mags are 20s
All loaded to 20 with no issues in function

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15516 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I wrapped up a carbine class yesterday where I ran +/-900 rounds over the weekend. The gun was NOT cleaned or lubed before this class and probably had 500 rounds of suppressed shooting under it's belt since the last cleaning. Late in the day on Sunday, I had a situation with empty chamber/bolt closed, inserted a fully loaded 30rd mag then racked the charging handle. I pulled the handle back and then when I let it go, it stopped part of the way home where I could still see in the ejection port. I could see the first round had partially unseated from the mag. Not wanting to be a goober on the line by trying to force the round in the chamber and causing a problem, I ripped the mag out of the gun, locked the bolt back, and inserted another mag, depressed bolt release with no issue.

I dont know if this was a magazine issue, a dirty gun issue, a lazily loaded final round in the magazine issue or maybe a combination.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9715 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes and yes. But ok. worry about it. 28.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11051 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I load 28 rounds in my AR's regardless of mag type...

M-14 I load 18 Rounds...

Much prefer the mag-pul mags in 30 round configuration, but like the USGI 20 rounders

Lula loaders are your friends...

Wes

Posts: 2443 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But ok. worry about it. 28.
Oh hush.

I am a little worried about it. If the accumulation of filth is going to effect a change in the reloading process, I feel like I ought to consider the best approach. Always run the charging handle? Load the mags to 28 and count on the paddle? Understand the problem and make the adjustment in technique only when it becomes necessary, while continuing 30rd loads?

Am I overthinking it? Maybe. I can't shoot all the time, so I try to make progress in discussing things with y'all in the meantime.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I load my serious-use mags to 28.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3244 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve always loaded 30 in my MagPul mags but stick to 28 in my USGI mags. I use USGI mags in my HD rifle.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15261 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
When we got patrol rifles authorized at Dallas PD, we got the “load to 28” mantra early and often from our instructors during the week-long class.

The instructor certification class they took was even longer than ours, and they said while there had been very few reported full-magazine stoppages, one of their lead instructors told them: “If an officer is in a shitstorm, I’d rather see him have to reload after 28 and be back in the fight instead of getting off 30, putting another 30-rounder in, get a jam, and be dead in the water.”

Posts: 4523 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reliability > quantity. Downloading a few has always worked well for me.

Posts: 834 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post