SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you load your AR mags to 30rds, and will your gun reliably strip that top round when fouled?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you load your AR mags to 30rds, and will your gun reliably strip that top round when fouled? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
If you're reloading under time/stress 28 is way easier. I've seen so many mags fall out in competition from not fully seating it's shocking.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7974 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
31's the only time I ever had a problem.

Posts: 21163 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
My PSA rifle will work with anything. Our work M400s will close the bolt on a mag filled with 30, but they are a bugger to seat under a closed bolt. Pmags are a little more forgiving than metal ones. Some of our guys inadvertently discovered that you can force 31 rounds into a pmag Roll Eyes, and that will cause all kinds of problems.

Oh, yes. This is true.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12820 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
How old is the magazine?

Old mags should be downloaded, because the spring steel wasn't as good.

New mags? Download if your rifle works better that way.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27056 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the bolt locked back I’ve not had any issue with 30 rounds in a mag. With the bolt forward, it’s hard to seat a usgi aluminum mag loaded to 30. Magpul are fine either way loaded to 30.

But as a matter of practice, I download to 28 in usgi aluminum mags. Magpul get a full 30.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2343 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the Armorer handed me a GAU-5 and the mags, they were 20 rounders, loaded to 18. I carry that practice over to the 30 round mags, loaded to 28.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16194 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Carry/use what works in your gun. Trying to make a point using sarcasm effective now: "Look, I use a gladius because my centurion told me to, and his centurion told him to, plus it's never failed me." is not actually an effective argument.

1) If you have confidence in the gun and it will run only 28, then that.

2) If you have confidence in the gun and it will run 30, then run that.

3) If you have confidence in yourself and can only run 28 because you would lose that edge, run 28.

The 2 rounds will only matter until it ACTUALLY matters, either in competition or the real world. I can game out scenarios were the loss of two rounds in the mag caused the death of dozens just as easily as the reverse (I have a great imagination). But this is just speculation and hypotheticals, not real world. In the real world this seems 100% preference, personal experience, and/or psychology, not an actual, factual thing that can be applied across the board.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1999 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cleaned the rifle. Locked the bolt back, inserted a 30rd mag (with thirty rounds in it), slapped the paddle, and it chambered with authority.

Based on that freshly cleaned and oiled performance, I'd never doubt it's ability to chamber the first round off a 30rd mag. However, it is obvious that, when filth builds up a bit, and lube burns off a bit, I can't always count on that performance.

Considering my use of a silencer, I may start downloading to 28 rounds per mag. The maintenance and oil addition regimen with the can is likely not practical to keep up with, if I want to use 30rd mags fully-loaded, and depend on paddle reload performance.

Posts: 2294 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
28 because I use pmags and I don't trust the lips long term loaded with the full 30.

My AR has no issues stripping the top round when I've loaded all 30 though, but it's hard to load a full mag on a closed bolt as everyone else has said.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3538 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The maintenance and oil addition regimen with the can is likely not practical to keep up with

That sort of begs the question of what is a good routine suppressed to stay ahead of reliability issues including this one. Maybe a new thread over at suppressed. But I am 100% sure that if you don't clean enough then the bolt isn't going to close on 30 rds. and after enough time maybe less...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11051 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
GI aluminum mags are really tight on a closed bolt with 30 rounds. I’d definitely download GI aluminum mags to 28.

Magpul gen 3 mags on the other hand, are properly designed and have extra space built into the mag to accommodate a full 30 rounds plus a little extra wiggle room. They easily lock in on a closed bolt because of the extra space. Load these to 30 rounds.

Posts: 6674 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Load to 28. My Twenty round mags loaded to 19

Posts: 13836 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i got 20rd mags. no problems

Posts: 1576 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! Mags are made for 30rd, they're loaded to 30, and a proper working rifle should be cycling them without issue. Never any issues using Pmags & Duramags for all my AR rifles in multi cals.

Posts: 78 | Registered: January 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post