SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Put a red dot on my new Ruger 10/22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Put a red dot on my new Ruger 10/22 Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
I bought a new Ruger 10/22 with the synthetic stock for $239 during Ruger Days last October 22. During the the holidays I bought a Vortex Crossfire 2 red dot for $89 and finally got around to putting it on my new 10/22.

Took it to the range today to sight in. Target below is the result of 10 shots at 30 feet. The first group of shots to the low and right was my first attempt while standing. I saw the range has a stool so I sat on that and used my range bag as a rest. On the fourth magazine I think I got it where I want it. I was shooting cheap Winchester bulk 333 pack ammo and pretty happy with the result. My new 10/22 with the synthetic stock is really light at 4.4 pounds am Hoping to get the wife interested in shooting it for fun too.

Been quite a while since I have been shooting 22LR rifle and almost forgot how much fun it is. Next time I am going to shoot at 75 feet to see how it does and curious how on target it will be at that distance as it is shooting just a tad high at 30 feet but easy enough to adjust if need be. Will try a variety of ammo too. My first red dot on a rifle. Will definitely have to get to the outdoor range too sometime soon now that it is finally warming up around here.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Good price on a 10/22. It looks like you've got it dialed in pretty well. I often forget the fun factor of shooting my 22's, they're hard to beat.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger 10/22 with a red dot on it and it was an absolute blast to shoot. It was ridiculously easy to shoot at a rapid pace and make hits every time. I may have to pick up another one as I foolishly sold mine.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I bought my Ruger 10/22 because last year my son and I went to an outdoor range and I took my Marlin 99 (early version of Marlin 60) along that I bought when I was in junior high school during the mid 60s and had not shot in decades.

I cleaned and lubed the Marlin 99 but it had a fair number of jams but was a tack driver when it was shooting. I spent some more time trying to get it to work but finally gave up on it, for a while at which point I bought the 10/22. Then I bought some used parts for it on Ebay including an action assembly with the new style feed throat/ejector. Took the feed throat parts I needed and put them in the Marlin 99 action assembly plus new ejector spring and recoil spring from Mcarbo. After some tweaking it works again too as it really bugged me that my beloved first firearm no longer worked as it should. Glad to have both rifles

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Shootin'. The 10/22 is hard to beat, especially with an optic. The problem I have with the 10/22 when I go shooting with my son is I can't load the mags quick enough. He goes through them and looks like an expert shot. The 10/22 is a keeper and a lot of fun to shoot.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you're not using Ruger BX-25 magazines (25 rds), get some, it will make loading mags less of a chore.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you're not using Ruger BX-25 magazines (25 rds), get some, it will make loading mags less of a chore.

Thanks but banned in Illinois. Roll Eyes

Pretty confident it will be overturned at some point though and possibly an injunction by May.

posted Hide Post
Nice gun and nice shooting as well. My buddy was shooting a 10/22 takedown today and it was shooting shotgun patterns at 50yds. I think the tensioning nut was probably too loose.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post