SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which of these Garands would you choose?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which of these Garands would you choose? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
H&R 55022XX, Winchester 1226XX, Springfield 8706XX. Similar condition.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Definitely the low number Winchester. That serial puts it at September 1941 production.

Next would be the WW2-era Springfield, whose serial puts it at September 1942.

The HRA is 1956 production, so post-Korean War. No wartime service.

But if you're after shooting capability, instead of historical/collector's value, then you'll want to examine each of them with a throat and muzzle wear gauge. Exterior condition might appear similar, but one barrel might be in noticeably better shape than the others, and therefore the rifle would have greater potential accuracy.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
So you’d choose the one that shoots the best regardless of make or serial number?

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
What’s your purpose for a Garand? Shooter or collector? Shooter=H&R. Collector=Winchester.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
All priced about the same, I'd also take the Winchester. More difficult to find and collectors sort of gravitate towards them a bit more. Next would be the Springfield because that's a classic Garand. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the H&R either. It'll shoot just like the others. I have one and it shoots a bit better than my older Springfield, yet I'd also let it go before the Springfield just because.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My first reaction says go with the Winchester, just for the collectability aspect of it being a Winchester and an early S/N. However, I have 2 M14s at work...one H&R and the other a Winchester. The H&R is rougher looking, but clearly the better shooter. I also have a couple of Springfield Garands, and one of them has a Winchester bolt. It works fine, but the machining on that Winchester part is clearly rougher than any of the SA or IHC parts on either gun.

Honestly, I think I'd have to look each of them over, examine the individual parts for fit, finish, and wear, and then decide accordingly. Either way, getting to pick from 3 Garands sounds like a good problem to have. Be sure to let us know what you decide, and post some pics!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
So you’d choose the one that shoots the best regardless of make or serial number?

Depends on what you're wanting from the Garand.

If you're strictly after a shooter, yes. Get whatever shoots best or has the best muzzle/throat readings and nicest bore.

If you're after something with greater historical value, and greater monetary value to a collector, then no. Get the Winchester.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a "collectable", I would pick the rife that was most original/correct or easiest to return to correct. No refinished receivers in other words. WRA restorations, especially early ones are an expensive proposition unless you already have the hard to find/expensive parts.

For a shooter, the one with the best throat and muzzle measurements and tightest fitting stock.

I presume that could be the H&R as it is the newest of the bunch, but if any of these are later arsenal rebuilds all bets are off there.

Got pics?

Posts: 922 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
This is a test? There is only 1 correct answer. Get all 3 !! Big Grin

Edit: I would get the Winchester, unless it’s a complete wreck

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sauer Kraut,

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Winchester all day.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Short of IHC, Winchester's bring the most money. But are in actuality, the "worst" ones. (worst is a bad choice of words of course, but machining and finish, Winchesters are usually the poorest)

Machining and finish wise, my H&R is better than all the Springfield's I've owned. I'd choose the Winchester because I don't own one. Big Grin

(Not related to the OP's question, has the price of IHC's come down some? Didn't some come back into the country in recent years?)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
(Not related to the OP's question, has the price of IHC's come down some? Didn't some come back into the country in recent years?)

Maybe a little, depending on who is selling.

Yes, MAP rifles from Turkey IIRC.

Posts: 922 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd like to own an IHC someday...not necessarily because of it's collectability or quality, but because I live in farm country and I think it would be awesome to have a rifle that was made by a tractor company to fight communists. My 1942 Springfield has an IHC bolt, and even though I know it's not correct, it makes me happy. Big Grin

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
What’s your purpose for a Garand? Shooter or collector? Shooter=H&R. Collector=Winchester.

I agree. I have two CMP Garands, both service grade. A 1954 Springfield and a 1954 H&R. For quality the edge goes to the H&R. Both shoot well but H&R was known for quality.

Now if you want history go Winchester. Only built during WWII.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post