SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions for a Patrol rifle...Updated
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a Patrol rifle...Updated Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A Basic Noveske Recce in mid-length would also be an excellent choice.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19092 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
In my professional opinion, The Bravo Company BCM4 is the best milspec AR on the market. There are some really nice custom outfits but BCM is tops for a good patrol rifle.

As of late, Colts fit and finish has left A LOT to be desired. They are riding on their long standing reputation but there are better manufacturers out there now for sure.

YMMV

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions.

I'm going to plug the best sling I've ever used: TAB Gear Carbine Sling.

It is a 2-point sling but the best part is that it has a very flexible and easy cinch mechanism which holds the rifle snug against your body. This greatly helps during handcuffing, medical aid/treatment, and those potentially embarrassing fence-crossing evolutions! :-) Yet, the sling has a double-shock-cord section, covered in the sling (through a tunnel) which allows you to just grab the rifle and push forward to deploy (without worrying about the cinch mechanism. It's VERY easy and quick; much more so than describing it in writing.

Also, if you can, feel a carbine with a Magpul K2+ grip. It is pretty vertical, which is better in the squarded-up stance, covered in rubber so no slip when wet/bloody, and has a beavertail to position your trigger finger better.

Those are 2 must-haves on all of my carbines.

Lancer mags have become my favorite by far. Most mags work, and I use old, used GI mags for practice, because I don't care dropping them and the occasional mag-induced stoppage in training gives me malfunction drill practice, but on the plate carrier and in the rifle are Lancers.

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I didn't think that I'd ever like the thing but...the M400 Tread. For the money it's surprisingly good. The forend isn't pretty but it actually feels great in hand. Slender, easy to grasp and get solid purchase on and maneuver with. And unlike all of the fancy skeletonized handguards these days (ok, I admit I own a few of those), the Tread's aluminum looks and feels like it's sturdy enough to take serious punishment if need be. The bones of the receiver is the M400; not a bad choice to start with.

And for once I kinda LIKE a graphic done on a NH SIG, this one in the form of the stylized snake folded into a form of our country's flag, found on the left side of the handguard.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigfreund:

...Twenty-round magazines are also much more comfortable to carry on a duty belt than 30-rounders (assuming there’s room, of course)...

Although designed for a cell phone, a 20rd mag
fits in this:

https://www.galls.com/boston-l...rbox-and-galaxy-siii

Thanks. Great idea. I ordered one and am gonna try it out soon.

Posts: 434 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
OP, not sure if you purchased already or not, you can't go wrong with a 6920, 6720, BCM, but may as well throw PSA deal in to the mix. I have Colt, BCM, PSA, and they all work fine, but for serious needs you have to make that decision.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...ifle-5165450254.html

Hope some of you guys got to see it before it went to "Out of Stock " status...not uncommon for PSA.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anbu_yoshi
posted Hide Post
Realistically, it is a patrol rifle. You need something light, durable, and dependable. A basic A2 carbine design with the ability to mount a weapon light and a red dot or holo is all that you need. Don't forget a sling. That is essentially any of the Colts and M400 basic models mentioned.

Ask yourself if you really NEED the free float and extra stuff. Patrol deployment ranges with rifles is anywhere up to 100 yards typically. I don't see common engagements out to the maximum effect range of carbines, but if you are in that situation you should be getting to cover and calling for back-up, ya know?

If your department allows anything shorter than 16" that's even better, but every agency has it's own set of rules. Some departments "own" the officer acquired rifles to maintain clearance with ATF/NFA regs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: anbu_yoshi,

Stay safe and walk tall, my friends.

Posts: 35 | Location: CA | Registered: August 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not in Law Enforcement but armed psychologist. I love my SIG m400 Enhanced. I jamm in 4100 rounds. I like BCM even better The Colt 6720 with the thin barrel is available on Grab A Gun for around 826 and the Colt Trooper, no A2 front sight post, and Centurion Arms rail, is going for 868. Good Shooting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
Not in Law Enforcement but armed psychologist.

One of the best personal introductions EVER!!!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25336 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just got my Colt 6920-R Trooper in and it would make a fine Patrol rifle for $850.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Updated with pics.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I had a DS upper that sucked balls. Hopefully yours is better.

If it was assembled correctly, it will probably be an OK gun.

You can very easily swap out that hunky dory trigger guard with something else. Your dept armorer or local guns store will swap the part out if you are not good with tools.

Make sure the gas keys are staked nice, the buffer tube is staked nice.

Check the gas block. Is it pinned in place? (doubt it). Pinning is the real, proper way to mount a duty gas block. If not, at the very least it needs at least one of the set screws to be screwed into a dimpled hole (one screw deeper than the other usually). And also that they were permanently loc-tite in place.

If you mount a red dot, make sure to loc tite the mounting screws. I took a brand new Aimpoint Pro to a carbine class and the screws backed out and the sight started flopping around loosely in the mount. Glad it happened during training, and not in real scenario. Taught me a valuable lesson, everything bolted to the gun absolutely has to be loc tited down.

Take the flash light off, and loc tite the screws for the MLOK rail in place, then put the flashlight back on. Lots of people poo poo that light. I am indifferent, but do prefer a Surefire scout for a duty light.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite...eywords=loctite+blue

Oh, and I personally liked my rear sling swivel to be in the B5 stock, not where you have it. Try and see what works for you.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
The only thing I would change is the pistol grip.
I'm a big fan of the BCM GunFighter grip.
I have a small box full of standard ar grips.
Any body needs one or two they're all yours.
YMMV

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I had a DS upper that sucked balls. Hopefully yours is better.

If it was assembled correctly, it will probably be an OK gun.

You can very easily swap out that hunky dory trigger guard with something else. Your dept armorer or local guns store will swap the part out if you are not good with tools.

Make sure the gas keys are staked nice, the buffer tube is staked nice.

Check the gas block. Is it pinned in place? (doubt it). Pinning is the real, proper way to mount a duty gas block. If not, at the very least it needs at least one of the set screws to be screwed into a dimpled hole (one screw deeper than the other usually). And also that they were permanently loc-tite in place.

If you mount a red dot, make sure to loc tite the mounting screws. I took a brand new Aimpoint Pro to a carbine class and the screws backed out and the sight started flopping around loosely in the mount. Glad it happened during training, and not in real scenario. Taught me a valuable lesson, everything bolted to the gun absolutely has to be loc tited down.

Take the flash light off, and loc tite the screws for the MLOK rail in place, then put the flashlight back on. Lots of people poo poo that light. I am indifferent, but do prefer a Surefire scout for a duty light.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite...eywords=loctite+blue

Oh, and I personally liked my rear sling swivel to be in the B5 stock, not where you have it. Try and see what works for you.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be checking that out. I'm going to put a few rounds through it this weekend. I'll mount the optic later and mess around with the adjustment of the sling as well.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dbltap:
The only thing I would change is the pistol grip.
I'm a big fan of the BCM GunFighter grip.
I have a small box full of standard ar grips.
Any body needs one or two they're all yours.
YMMV

I was looking at different grips as well since I'm not a huge fan of the finger grooves. I'll check out the BCM grip.

The Working Police.....

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Only real change I made to my Colt Trooper was BCM furniture (VFG, Grip, Stock) and PNT Trigger, plus an Aimpoint H2 from Natchez for $525 and a QD point to use one of my many VCAS slings.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Bubbatime, I performed a check of the gas block and it's not pinned as you suspected. It is set screwed and staked. I did call DS Arms and the said they did use loc-tite and if there is any issues they will take care of it free of charge. They are working on pinning all future low profile gas blocks and will pin mine for free if I so desire. No timetable as to when they'll be able to do it, as they are remodeling some areas in the manufacturing department.

The Working Police.....

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Good deal on the gas block. Just monitor it to make sure it doesn’t move and it’s not a bad idea to take them up on the free pinning job in 6 months when they get their tooling on line for that. For what it’s worth BCM doesn’t pin their blocks and they are considered good to go... me personally, I prefer that they be pinned, but I’m a stickler.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Good. Now go buy an Aimpoint PRO for it, look around and you can find it sub 400 bucks...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klusk2:
Bubbatime, I performed a check of the gas block and it's not pinned as you suspected. It is set screwed and staked. I did call DS Arms and the said they did use loc-tite and if there is any issues they will take care of it free of charge. They are working on pinning all future low profile gas blocks and will pin mine for free if I so desire. No timetable as to when they'll be able to do it, as they are remodeling some areas in the manufacturing department.

It wouldn't concern me. I have used both clamp on and set screw gas blocks through a lot of heat/cold cycles and I have never had one even give an inkling of moving.

The more you shoot it the more carbon build up will find it's way in the tiniest of nooks and crannies and I suspect after a year you could remove the set screws entirely and it would not move without some effort.

I favor clamping type but I have a few set screws and it doesn't worry me. Especially considering that your gas block is shrouded within the handguard, it should'nt be getting smacked into anything that might want to move it.

Loctite and a recessed dimple in the barrel is a good idea. I loctite all my gas block screws.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post