SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Killer Price on a Steiner MRS!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer Price on a Steiner MRS!! Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A "dark into light" problem? Is it going off, or just auto dimming to the point you don't see it.

Not an uncommon problem for auto adjusting sights dots sight (or reflex sights in general) to do that. It dims down because you're in the "dark", but your target is still in the full light and washes it out. Is that what's happening?

Mine is still in the box if anyone wants another. lol

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I walked around in the house and it stays on, in all the various lighting conditions. So went into the back yard, bright sunshine, I was in the sunshine as was my target (bushes actually) and it stayed on, I stepped into the shadow of the house and in the shadow, with a target (planter) also in the shadow it stayed on, but when I pointed back out to the bushes (in bright sun) the dot disappeared. This is very undesirable. However when I pointed back at the planter (in the shade) the dot re-appeared.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I walked around in the house and it stays on, in all the various lighting conditions. So went into the back yard, bright sunshine, I was in the sunshine as was my target (bushes actually) and it stayed on, I stepped into the shadow of the house and in the shadow, with a target (planter) also in the shadow it stayed on, but when I pointed back out to the bushes (in bright sun) the dot disappeared. This is very undesirable. However when I pointed back at the planter (in the shade) the dot re-appeared.

I have tested my 2 in a whole bunch of light transitions in and around the house and have yet to have the dot shut off completely. When I went from almost total darkness to full Sun the dot is super dim for a split second but still visible then becomes normal again.
Also tested my buddy’s before I got mine with similar results. All of my tests were just random light and dark differences for where I was standing and also targets in shade or full sun and targets at different distances.
The only thing mine does (and I believe it is actually my eyes as it did not replicate this for a buddy) but if I transition from a target at a distance out past 25 yards to a target closer than 25 yards the dot looses its crispness and grows a bit of a drop tail, but as soon as I transition back to a target of distance the dot is crisp as can be.
With The close proximity of the target the drop tail will not really effect accuracy.
All these unscientific tests were done prior to your post.

I just did the scenarios you described as best as possible with both sights I have and while the dot certainly auto adjusts at no time in any transition be it dark to light where I was standing or the target being in dark, light, or shade could I make the dot fully disappear.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25355 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I’m going to the range tomorrow and I’ll take it with me and pay more attention … it’s possible it was washed out but even after 20-30 seconds it never became visible again when I was in the shade and aiming at a target in bright light no matter if the target was 10 feet away or 100 feet unless I pressed the power button, but then it was only on (visible) for a few seconds.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I didn’t make it on the 13th but going to try again today … in the meantime I didn’t really like it on the AR because I had to use a riser so I could see the dot. I decided to put the Steiner on my SBR’d P553; I almost replaced the ACOG on my P556 but decided against it. I recently picked up a Holosun HS512C which has battery and solar power and put on the AR.

The stock on the P556 is from the SiG MCX, I like it because it has a much thinner profile than the folding stock and spends a lot of time behind the backseat of my truck … it’s kind of my SHTF gun.
Hopefully I’ll get them both out to the range before it gets up to the 102 degrees the weatherman is calling for this afternoon.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
How do you like that Holosun???
I was just looking at those for 2 more 5.56 ARs that could use an optic.
I like the Stiener for my PCCs but want a little more field of view and the circle dot reticle for the 5.56s that may see 200 yards.

————————————————

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
How do you like that Holosun???
I was just looking at those for 2 more 5.56 ARs that could use an optic.
I like the Stiener for my PCCs but want a little more field of view and the circle dot reticle for the 5.56s that may see 200 yards.

I didn’t get to the range this afternoon, I got called into work … but I can tell you this much.
For no bigger than its kinda piggy, however I really like the sight picture. The controls are easy, it has shake-awake & auto off, the 2moa dot & 65moa circle. The mount is very solid and I do get a solid cheek weld.
Tomorrow the wife is dragging me to a wedding so it’ll probably be Monday before I get to try it out.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Seemed large in your picture but figure it was because your AR is pretty small.
The videos and pics I have seen it did not seem as large. Guess it is not really any bigger than some EOTechs.

————————————————

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seemed large in your picture but figure it was because your AR is pretty small.
The videos and pics I have seen it did not seem as large. Guess it is not really any bigger than some EOTechs.

It measures about 3.25” long, 2” tall and 1.75” wide … and you’re right, the AR it’s on is short as it’s only got a 8” barrel, and pictured with the stock collapsed … I was thinking of putting a Law Tactical hinge on it, but then it would just be short & fat, like me Razz

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I finally got to the range yesterday and switched & shot the Steiner on my Nelson 1911-22. I’m not sure if there’s something wrong with it as it goes through 3 batteries in less than an hour, or if I’ve got a bad batch of batteries … I ordered some Energizers and we’ll see. When it was working I was happy with it.

Also shot the Holosun 512C (closed emitter w/solar backup)on my 8” AR, it worked very well and I got a couple pictures of it. Although I like it, I’m not sure if I’m going to keep it. I also bought a 510C which is an open emitter (so it looks a bit smaller) and also has solar back up; it’s supposed to be here today.

I put a quarter on it for a size reference.

The 510C is about the same dimensions but not as boxy

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not sure if there’s something wrong with it as it goes through 3 batteries in less than an hour...

Well then I've got to get to using mine, that's not something I want to find out too many months from now, or at the wrong time.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I finally got to the range yesterday and switched & shot the Steiner on my Nelson 1911-22. I’m not sure if there’s something wrong with it as it goes through 3 batteries in less than an hour, or if I’ve got a bad batch of batteries … I ordered some Energizers and we’ll see. When it was working I was happy with it.

This is the same one that seemed to shut off in certain lighting conditions?
I wonder if you got a bad unit with a short in it or something?

————————————————

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the same one that seemed to shut off in certain lighting conditions?
I wonder if you got a bad unit with a short in it or something?

Yep, same one.
If these new Energizers don’t solve my issues I’ll be contacting Steiner. They’re supposed to be delivered sometime Wednesday, I’ll be making a trip to the range the end of the week to check it out and get the Holosuns zeroed.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I think this will be my last post on this page unless I need to answer questions …

I’ve moved the Steiner over to my Nelson’s Custom 22 conversion and have it mounted on my Kimber Stainless Gold Match frame until I get a dedicated frame built for it.

I think I got a old package of batteries to start with and I definitely don’t like the auto adjust brightness level. But when it works, it works. This is from 25 yards and supported on a rest. I had intended it to be a 10 round group but for reasons I still don’t understand it shut off after 5 rounds. If I did something I don’t know what it was.

Lastly, I don’t have a lot of experience with this type of sight but I’m glad I got it at the killer price. If you have one, make sure you have it shut off when you put it away or better yet, pull the battery. At this point I wouldn’t recommend it or buy another.

I have bought a Holosun 510 and 512 for my 8” Jack AR and SiG 553 SBR’s since I ventured into this world of electronic sights,I’m very satisfied with both and why they have a 50,000 hour battery life and the Steiner will die overnight like an Energizer did … I just don’t understand, but it’s something I’ll be looking for in my next purchase