SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Pros and cons: AR pistol vs bullpup in 5.56
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pros and cons: AR pistol vs bullpup in 5.56 Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Wow, this thread has made me want to avoid it all and just go with another 16" AR. Smile

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Wow, this thread has made me want to avoid it all and just go with another 16" AR. Smile

Yeah. Wow that turned into a shit show. Good job everyone. Big Grin

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I really don't find any disadvantage to having the pistol over an sbr other than more choice of stocks which doesn't seem to bother me one bit.
The less I have to include big brother into my life the better.
Anything that I can do that can be construed as an F.U. to the gov is always my choice.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Sorry for shitting up your thread, Chris.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
This thread made me realize I may still have a use for an AR pistol, rustled jimmies aside.

And hey, a 16" AR is a versatile beast!

Posts: 5224 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris17404:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Wow, this thread has made me want to avoid it all and just go with another 16" AR. Smile[/QUOTE

There are places a pistol - tube only - AR will fit that other things don't. For example, an 8" AR in 300AAC stowed the back floorboard of a compact sedan with an extra mag and a simple sling.

Not that I'd ever have need of such a thing, but it's possible to have such a thing. Wink

I don't have much experience with bullpup designs apart from one magazine through a buddy's AUG - which was excellent - and some heavy petting of a Tavor in the store.

They definitely have some advantages, especially in 5.56, over a similar OAL AR pistol. If 5.56 was the limiting factor and bullpups were more affordable, I may have gone that route.

But I had a lot of AR parts lying about...and you know where that path leads.

Posts: 10804 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
The noise and muzzle flash of 5.56 w/rifle powder out of 7-10" barrel is significant. Almost guarantees hearing issues in a car or indoors. I'm another vote for 300blk in pistol, even if you do not use a suppressor. Subs eliminate the sonic crack, albeit the energy is now closer to a hot 40 S&W load.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2075 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I had the Steyr AUG some years ago. I wanted to like that bullpup but could never get used its LOP. Was a little too long for me, so the balance was off, and my arm got tired quickly.

Had the FN FS2000. The ergo was horrible.

And the Bushmaster M17S's ergo was also uncomfortable.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
"AR pistols" are trash for actual practical use. Go ahead and be patient while the courts sort out this brace/sbr nonsense, or just do the paper for an sbr.

At some point I'll do my "modern bullpup head-to-head," but of course you can just soak up youtube.

Overall weight
Ergos
Manual of arms
Legal jeopardy

Overall, I would say a bullpup would be the choice for simplicity and no legal headaches. A "pistol" or SBR will be a bit shorter than that bullpup, and is the size or weight that is important?

Somebody lamented AUGs aren't offered with AR mags, untrue, just get a NATO stock.

I've long been a fan of bullpups, and in the past few years dove into SBRs. A proper AR SBR will be a bit more compact than a bullpup, but the advantage is weight unless you add too many condiments.

My advice would be to try to find examples of what you want to actually shoot.

After your first Form 1, they are easy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27119 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Hi, all.

Just thought I'd give an update. I visited a LGS that had an IWI X95, Springfield Hellion, and KelTec RDB in stock, along with a few AR pistols. I'm glad I went to check them out.

To me, the X95 had by far the best ergonomics and manual of arms. I liked it. But it was quite heavy. Yes, the majority of the weight is in back and when shouldered its quite comfortable to aim with a red dot. But when simulating mag changes, it taxed my wrist a bit holding it level (stock off my shoulder). I didn't care for the Hellion or KelTec at all. And I honestly didn't see very much advantage in the X95 over a lightweight 14.5" AR size-wise, and in handling.

The AR pistols surprised me. Surprised me how much I disliked them. I understand the cheek weld shooting concept and tried to simulate it at the shop. It was "ok", but I certainly missed a stock against my shoulder. The AR pistol also felt a bit front heavy. This one had an 10.5" barrel. The only advantage I see in an AR pistol is that it's still a pistol.

So in conclusion, if I had money to burn I'd get an X95 tomorrow. But I think I am now going to start looking for a 14.5" lightweight AR to put a red dot on to compliment my 16" AR with an LPVO. The balance and ergos of the AR are just very good. Anything shorter and it's SBR time.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I'm glad I explored this option.

Chris

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post