SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Beretta 1301 owners- come on in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 1301 owners- come on in Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a new Shotgun. Currently my only Scattergun is a Remington 870. It's what I learned on, and I know that puppy inside an out. Nothing wrong with it, it's a great old work horse, but it's time to diversify my shotguns.

I'm looking at the Beretta 1301's, more than likely the pistol grip stock:

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/...n-family/1301-family

For those of you with the Beretta's, how do you like them? Any downside to them? Wish you would have gotten something else? Outside of a WML & sling, what else would you toss on it? Just a personal note, I'm not a big fan of RDS on a shotgun. I'll probably toss a tritium front sight on it.

And to answer the question: General Purpose- maybe at the furthest out to 100 Yds. A little skeet / trap, mostly HD use.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have had mine maybe 2-3 years. I got the model with the marine finish and black synthetic stock, and if I recall it was around $12-1300. It feels way lighter than my 870’s, and the recoil seems less as well. Maybe that’s just my mind trying to justify the purchase, lol…. I have since added the Nordic mag tube extension, Aridus / Magpul forearm, and a Magpul Mossberg 590 butstock using the Aridus adapter. I have around 300 flawless rounds, no issues whatsoever. Zero buyers remorse, would definitely buy it again. I’ve never had a dot on a shotgun, but I am considering it for this one.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm also contemplating but looking at the LTT. Seems to be a slightly better deal (same $1799 base price but with Magpul furniture and trigger job).

https://langdontactical.com/lt...n-w-ltt-trigger-job/

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 2 that's decked out with Aridus goodies (CROM, stock adapter, Zukov forearm) and a Magpul stock. It had the factory extended magazine tube with the plastic cover that I replaced with an aluminum cover and clamp from GG&G. I have a Holosun 507C mounted on the CROM. My WML is a Cloud Defensive Micro Rein. Has Velcro for Esstac cards on the receiver and a Magpul sling.

It came from the factory with the pistol grip stock and I hated it.

It has functioned flawlessly with everything I've put through it.

I'll buy another one when I come across the right deal.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The factory finish on the Marine is crap...scuffs very easily and is just paint/cerakote by another name. I had mine professionally refinished after it wore poorly and I wanted to color-match the Nordic parts and spare A400 LITE VR barrel I bought for it.

These are terrific gauges but sadly, pricing has gone through the roof now that the A300 Patrol slots nicely in the price range the 1301 used to be at.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Competition 24" vent rib and magazine exrension, short non pistol grip stock.

Very good per former in competitions against other shotgunners. Very low recoil impulse and very fast & manageable on multiple targets.

In my experience, vent ribs and standard stocks on shotguns are much better than pistol grips and dots/rifle sights for everything (except maybe slug launching past 25 yards.)

The only disappointment in 1301 is there are no availble longer barrels. I would have liked to shoot clays with it.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

The only disappointment in 1301 is there are no availble longer barrels. I would have liked to shoot clays with it.

28" VR barrel from the A400 LITE fits perfectly (since the 1301 is based on the A400 LITE). SKU = JB400SD28

Cost as much as my first two 1301's but yeah...available lol. Practical challenge is the sight setups. The 1301 has the raised tower of the Benelli M4 including a taller rear to match. So need to remove some stuff off the receiver to run the VR barrel with simple bead sight.

posted Hide Post
I've got a 1301. It's a great gun. Very reliable and fast. Good aftermarket for it. If I was buying today, though, I'd look at the A300 Patrol. The A300 is probably 90% of the shotgun the 1301 is, but much cheaper. Still has a good aftermarket and it will only improve. I have a buddy with an A300 and I have shot it. It's not quite as fast but both are faster than a pump if you do your part.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I've got the LTT, which I guess makes it Gen 1 (I got it in Dec. 2019).

I love the hell out of it, but didn't care for the CROM mount. Not its fault, just not right for me.

I wish I had gotten another stock model back then when prices were less crazy. For me, the Magpul is perfect, I don't like pistol grips for shotguns.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
https://www.aimsurplus.com/pro...o-12ga-shotgun-185in

Aim surplus has them on sale..don't hesitate or they will be gone. they already sold out of the ultima patrol.

I went with the patrol.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have an LE SKU Benelli M4 with collapsing stock and pistol grip; first thing I did was order a normal fixed stock for it. One's for show, the other for go.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Do you know if the 1301 Comp and 1301 Tactical use the same barrel? I have a 1301 Comp, and I'd like to turn it into a trap gun.

quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
28" VR barrel from the A400 LITE fits perfectly (since the 1301 is based on the A400 LITE). SKU = JB400SD28

Cost as much as my first two 1301's but yeah...available lol. Practical challenge is the sight setups. The 1301 has the raised tower of the Benelli M4 including a taller rear to match. So need to remove some stuff off the receiver to run the VR barrel with simple bead sight.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Comp uses a 3.5" extension on it so is not compatible with the normal 1301 Tactical which is a 3" extension

more info here: https://pistol-forum.com/showt...301-Tactical/page400

For reference, e_stern is Erik Stern, formerly the Product Manager for Beretta semi-auto shotguns. He now works for FNH USA in SC. (He's also a personal friend of mine)

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Are you aware of any 3.5" extension barrels that would fit the 1301 Comp?

quote:
Comp uses a 3.5" extension on it so is not compatible with the normal 1301 Tactical which is a 3" extension

more info here: https://pistol-forum.com/showt...301-Tactical/page400

For reference, e_stern is Erik Stern, formerly the Product Manager for Beretta semi-auto shotguns. He now works for FNH USA in SC. (He's also a personal friend of mine)

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The regular A400 barrels should work; any non-LITE version but I'd call Beretta to be sure.

posted Hide Post
I’ve had a 1301 Tactical for a year or so now. It’s the LE model so has a fixed choke, but has the 7 shot mag extension. And I believe it is a Gen 2.

I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet as the only ranges nearby (indoor) only allow slugs, and I’ve been too lazy to take a drive out to the desert to pattern it. Eventually I’ll break it in and use it to augment other HD guns. I plan on using Federal LE 8 shot OO buck with Flite Control that I have a case of. That round printed 3 inches at 10 yards out of an old 870 I used to have.

The Beretta seems well built and is light compared to my 870. Plus the sights are better. I don’t plan on changing/adding anything to it (I did have a Magpul stock on my 870) other than the Esstac cards.

As for pistol grips on a SG, my only experience with them was on an HK marked Benelli M1 Super 90 I had back in the early 90’s. It sucked for me and I quickly sold it. It just never felt right.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I just picked one up a few weeks ago and it eats magnums and super light reloads like a hungry dog, I really enjoy it, two main players are gg&g and aridus if you plan on modifying it aridus has little to nothing in stock as they were the original makers of most of the parts ggg from what I have heard copied them. one thing I dont like is the plastic chessy magazine cover it just looks like a toy but ggg makes an aluminum one. one thing I did have to do is remove the plastic magazine spring retainer to get the 7th round in the magazine, the new model coming out has the magazine lifter and a new forearm. the lifter keeps you from pinching your fingers.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2nd gen 1301 and it is awesome. I bought it from a guy on another forum essentially in the Langdon Tactical configuration. Magpul 870 (or 590) stock, Zukhov hand guard, Aridus CROM. It’s an incredibly light, reliable, and speedy gun.

I shot the Symtac Consulting 2 day shotgun course with it last year and ended up taking top shot. I don’t think you can go wrong with the 1301 or the A300, although the A300 is cheaper and has a nicer hand guard.

I don’t love pistol grips on shotguns and think the Magpul shotgun stocks are about the best thing that company has ever produced. All of the best features of a pistol grip and a traditional stock.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The factory finish on the Marine is crap...scuffs very easily and is just paint/cerakote by another name. I had mine professionally refinished after it wore poorly and I wanted to color-match the Nordic parts and spare A400 LITE VR barrel I bought for it.

You're not the first person I've heard that from about the Marine finish.
Which is sad, because that would have been my 1st choice. I'm not going to go out and get a new gun refinished.

Me? I like the pistol grip... what can I say, I'm weird like that

Nice to know I can switch out a barrel on it.

I'm figuring a GG&G Side Saddle, Inforce WML and a decent sling, I should be good-to-go.

I'm looking at this for a choke:

https://www.kicks-ind.com/page...buckshot-choke-tubes

I'm not worried about recoil management, but tightening up the patterns looks interesting. Anyone have any experience?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CPD SIG,

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post