SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    TA33 ACOG for lightweight, all-purpose AR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TA33 ACOG for lightweight, all-purpose AR? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi, all.

This rifle is my only AR. It's a BCM 16" mid-length original LW profile barrel with LW KMR handguard. Basic. It's an all-around AR for fun, learning, and defense if ever needed. My AR has worn several different optics over the years, including: Aimpoint PRO, Trijicon TR25 1-6x, Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x, Aimpoint T2, Trijicon TR24R 1-4x. Now it's back to the Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x. I am exploring other options.

While the Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x serves its purpose very well, I dislike the weight. It's quite heavy, and to me doesn't fit the theme of a lightweight AR. No, I'm not humping the rifle for hours on end. It's a range weapon and may be used for defense if ever needed. Yes, the LPVO is quite versatile, and is very good at 1x as well as magnified. I do not shoot past 200 yards much at all. The magnification is for PID and taking a precision shot at closer distance, not really distant shots. I tend to not go over 4x unless I'm zeroing.

I have done a lot of research on ACOGs and have found the TA33 seems to be the favorite ACOG in terms of a general-purpose optic. I have read several reviews on them, and I feel that I understand its unique qualities and it's pros/cons. I simply have never owned one so I can't really determine if it could work well for me. For anyone who has a TA33 currently or used one in the past, I was wondering if you have a minute to provide your thoughts on the TA33, how you use and manage it's strengths and weaknesses, especially when being used at closer distances (inside 25 yards). I value your thoughts based on reality. I am familiar with the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC), but I'm not sold on it. I am aware that some recommend using a front lens cover when shooting short distances to aid in using the BAC. Of course, I could always mount a small red dot using the RMR footprint if I chose.

Trying to find a do-all optic that’s lightweight much more challenging than it should be. Perhaps I should consider Aimpoint again (perhaps a new Duty RDS). But I found I don’t care for magnifiers behind it. So it would be relegated to 1x only. I also appreciate a very clear image.

I also prefer optics where the exterior ring of the ocular lens essentially disappears leaving just the image. I was wondering given the TA33’s eye relief and very small FOV if that would happen and if mounted forward enough that’ll allow me to use the BAC for close shooting and when I want to really focus on a precise shot I can close an eye and get closer to the optic. Thoughts on that?

Thank you for your time.

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Just picked up one and it fits the bill for lightweight. It is indeed the best all around ACOG.

I'd recommend the TA11 series for overall best ACOG but they ARE heavy.

Where you lost me was at only AR. With your only AR I would definitely go LPVO. I don't have really good reasoning but it's just much more all encompassing for the ONLY one you have. Gonna be a bit more heavy but it's worth it. A Leupold 1.5-4, Trijicon TR24, Something along those lines if you wanna stay in the same price range as the TA33.

Only one? Go big and grab a Kahles 1-6. You'll thank me later. Talk about NO ring!!!

To answer some of your questions, the eye relief isn't bad on the TA33, little more than listed on Trijicon's website, but the FOV feels TINY! I wouldn't allow it to serve as my only AR optic for that reason alone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get an aimpoint. If you have only one AR then by definition its your go to gun, and the only decent answer for that is an aimpoint.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my needs a TA33 is fine but I have 4 AR’s - one 6.8 sbr with an elcan 1-4x, one 556 sbr with the TA33, and two sbr’s (one 300 blk and one 556) with rds. I personally don’t shoot the TA33 beyond 200 yards, and it works great for that. Great eye relief and nice reticle.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Get an aimpoint. If you have only one AR then by definition its your go to gun, and the only decent answer for that is an aimpoint.

Have to agree with Jon and add that maybe check out an EoTech.

I just went through an optic journey here lately and ditched the fixed 3x prism optic for an Aimpoint. I really like it. I will say that I like the EoTech more as I have a few more reference points than a single dot with the Aimpoint but the glass is crystal clear and like the EoTech, eye relief/FOV is excellent.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I wish Aimpoint would make either a donut of death reticle or EoTech make a red dot sight. I've really gotten use to the Holosun optics with that feature and my only recourse for an American option is the MRO HD or the enormous Sig Romeo 8.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any experience with the TA33 but I bought a TA01NSN ACOG (4x32) for an AR years ago when I was looking for a lite weight all-purpose optic, and for reasons I can’t explain I didn’t like it, because it was everything I was looking for. After trying it on several different I finally found I did/do like it on my SiG P556 SBR, it’s still my truck gun, at least 10 years later.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one AR and it has an ACOG 3.5x. Glass is just so clear and I like the reticle. For me, it is as close to a one-size fits all optic and I doubled down on it (got one NIB for an amazing price too). That said, I tried an LVPO but 3-4 years ago, when I got the AR, they were all relatively bulky and heavy. I've not kept up: have LVPOs gotten lighter and more compact?

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
have LVPOs gotten lighter and more compact?

Yes, to a point, and above a certain price point. Lower end LVPOs are still chunky, but there are comparatively lighter and smaller options available these days for more money. However, LVPOs can't be as compact as a prismatic, due to the way they function.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. Appreciate it. Yes, I do need to get a 2nd AR to customize their uses. One day. Like I said, my current LPVO does very well to meet my needs, but wanted to explore another route to save some weight.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. Appreciate it. Yes, I do need to get a 2nd AR to customize their uses. One day. Like I said, my current LPVO does very well to meet my needs, but wanted to explore another route to save some weight.

I had a TA33 and I loved the glass quality and the weight. Didn't love the reticle for shooting smallish targets at 185-250 yards as the chevron obscured too much target area. Would work fine on torso sized targets.

Had issues with it retaining zero, and issues with it tracking properly.

Swapped it out for a Vortex Razor 1-6 with the JM1 reticle and IMHO that is the best of both worlds.
Excellent glass, excellent reticle. Tracks perfectly and I have never once had a problem with my Razors not retaining zero.

Yes, weight penalty. Worth it for me. Others may indeed find otherwise.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi, all.

This rifle is my only AR. It's a BCM 16" mid-length original LW profile barrel with LW KMR handguard. Basic. It's an all-around AR for fun, learning, and defense if ever needed. My AR has worn several different optics over the years, including: Aimpoint PRO, Trijicon TR25 1-6x, Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x, Aimpoint T2, Trijicon TR24R 1-4x. Now it's back to the Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x. I am exploring other options.

While the Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x serves its purpose very well, I dislike the weight. It's quite heavy, and to me doesn't fit the theme of a lightweight AR. No, I'm not humping the rifle for hours on end. It's a range weapon and may be used for defense if ever needed. Yes, the LPVO is quite versatile, and is very good at 1x as well as magnified. I do not shoot past 200 yards much at all. The magnification is for PID and taking a precision shot at closer distance, not really distant shots. I tend to not go over 4x unless I'm zeroing.

I have done a lot of research on ACOGs and have found the TA33 seems to be the favorite ACOG in terms of a general-purpose optic. I have read several reviews on them, and I feel that I understand its unique qualities and it's pros/cons. I simply have never owned one so I can't really determine if it could work well for me. For anyone who has a TA33 currently or used one in the past, I was wondering if you have a minute to provide your thoughts on the TA33, how you use and manage it's strengths and weaknesses, especially when being used at closer distances (inside 25 yards). I value your thoughts based on reality. I am familiar with the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC), but I'm not sold on it. I am aware that some recommend using a front lens cover when shooting short distances to aid in using the BAC. Of course, I could always mount a small red dot using the RMR footprint if I chose.

Trying to find a do-all optic that’s lightweight much more challenging than it should be. Perhaps I should consider Aimpoint again (perhaps a new Duty RDS). But I found I don’t care for magnifiers behind it. So it would be relegated to 1x only. I also appreciate a very clear image.

I also prefer optics where the exterior ring of the ocular lens essentially disappears leaving just the image. I was wondering given the TA33’s eye relief and very small FOV if that would happen and if mounted forward enough that’ll allow me to use the BAC for close shooting and when I want to really focus on a precise shot I can close an eye and get closer to the optic. Thoughts on that?

Thank you for your time.

Chris

The TA-33 would be good for a light weight build. But man, it’s like looking through a straw.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trij...t-TA33-C-400373.aspx

9.9 oz

Versus the ACOG I prefer to use.

https://www.eurooptic.com/trij...51-mount-100394.aspx

18.1 oz

I’ll take shorter eye relief and 8 extra ounces. Not too mention it runs off a CR123 battery, it’s disgustingly bright, and has something like 12,000 hours on setting 4 which is (in my opinion frickin bright).

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I don’t have any experience with the TA33 but I bought a TA01NSN ACOG (4x32) for an AR years ago when I was looking for a lite weight all-purpose optic, and for reasons I can’t explain I didn’t like it, because it was everything I was looking for. After trying it on several different I finally found I did/do like it on my SiG P556 SBR, it’s still my truck gun, at least 10 years later.

Ok. That is bad ass period. Slick, smooth, and reliable w/o a bunch of garbage hanging off of it. A great “work gun” package. Nicely done.

Posts: 4019 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:

I had a TA33 and I loved the glass quality and the weight. Didn't love the reticle for shooting smallish targets at 185-250 yards as the chevron obscured too much target area. Would work fine on torso sized targets.

Had issues with it retaining zero, and issues with it tracking properly.

Swapped it out for a Vortex Razor 1-6 with the JM1 reticle and IMHO that is the best of both worlds.
Excellent glass, excellent reticle. Tracks perfectly and I have never once had a problem with my Razors not retaining zero.

Yes, weight penalty. Worth it for me. Others may indeed find otherwise.

After hearing a bad experience from almost everyone who's bought a lower end Vortex, the high-end stuff scares the crap out of me. They really look awesome on paper.

Yours is GTG?
(I want to believe)

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I love my TA33 ACOG. Good glass, light weight, accurate and easy to use. My only complaint is that under bright sun light the fiber optic is almost to bright. Nothing a little electric tape can't fix. I have my ACOG mounted on my SIG 553 long barrel. Probably my favorite rifle and optic.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post