SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger Scout Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Scout Rifle Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
But, there is a lot to be said for a light, well-balanced bolt gun.

There is.
Although I thought it was more than a little strange way back when Jeff Cooper justified the “scout” rifle concept based on a 1930s Junior ROTC manual, I still appreciate handling a rifle that’s easy to mount and acquire the target quickly with. Most of my rifles these days have become unwieldly beasts: heavy with large, bulky scopes that require high stock combs to see through properly. That’s fine for most of my shooting that involves prepared positions and supports, but I also had occasion recently to handle my much older sleek Ruger 77/22 and I was reminded of what a joy it is to hold and shoot.

The traditional “pistol grip” stock helps with fast, confident control of the rifle as compared with the “saw handle” grip (Cooper’s term) of the AK and AR platforms, and the same is true of having sight(s) that are as close as possible to the bore line.

I don’t have any use for a scout type bolt action rifle myself because other guns serve my purposes better, but I understand its appeal—assuming it’s not turned into another clunky monstrosity. If we’re going to do that, there are other clunky monstrosities that offer other advantages.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does that stock pack add a cheek riser? If so, does it make it difficult to get low enough to use the peep sight correctly?

Yes it is a small riser. I have to "scrunch" down a little to use the peep but it's not difficult at all.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Always curious about stock additions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post