SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger Scout Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Scout Rifle Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a basically new in the box Ruger scout rifle in .308. Never had a bolt rifle in .308 but the deal was to good to pass up.

Can anyone recommend a scope that will fit in the factory scope rings. I would prefer to buy once cry once.

Thank you!

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2507 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What size are the rings?
And is the scope mounted forward on the barrel in the "scout" position?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
What size are the rings?
And is the scope mounted forward on the barrel in the "scout" position?

So I am a big novice when it comes to bolt guns, hoping to learn more.

The gun came with scope rings, seem very well made, and yes, I would like to the scope mounted in the scout position.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2507 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good forward mounted scout scopes can be hard to find. I've owned several scout scopes and loved the concept of the light quick handling rifle from the beginning of the concept.

I'm NOT a fan of the forward mounted scope though. The ONLY advantages are if 1, you load with a stripper clip or 2 keeping the scope away from your eyebrow.

When Cooper developed the Scout rifle concept we didn't have the Superior 1x to 4x up to 1x to 8x scopes we have now. most 1x scopes with a straight objective end will easily fit onto the Ruger Scout. Compare the FOV of a 1x-6 scope to a forward mounted scope and you'll see what I mean. I had a Vortex Razor 1x-6 on my Ruger Scout and was consistently ringing the 600yd gong with the ranging reticle and could shoot with both eyes open and an illuminated reticle at close range.

The forward mounted scope might just be an itch you need to scratch but in the long run there's no reason to use them compared to optically superior scopes that are now available.

Leupold makes some nice low powered variables that fit the 1" rings included and there are some GREAT Low Powered variables with 30mm tubes.

IMHO the Ruger Scout is an underrated rifle, don't put an optically inferior scope on it! :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Good forward mounted scout scopes can be hard to find. I've owned several scout scopes and loved the concept of the light quick handling rifle from the beginning of the concept.

I'm NOT a fan of the forward mounted scope though. The ONLY advantages are if 1, you load with a stripper clip or 2 keeping the scope away from your eyebrow.

When Cooper developed the Scout rifle concept we didn't have the Superior 1x to 4x up to 1x to 8x scopes we have now. most 1x scopes with a straight objective end will easily fit onto the Ruger Scout. Compare the FOV of a 1x-6 scope to a forward mounted scope and you'll see what I mean. I had a Vortex Razor 1x-6 on my Ruger Scout and was consistently ringing the 600yd gong with the ranging reticle and could shoot with both eyes open and an illuminated reticle at close range.

The forward mounted scope might just be an itch you need to scratch but in the long run there's no reason to use them compared to optically superior scopes that are now available.

Leupold makes some nice low powered variables that fit the 1" rings included and there are some GREAT Low Powered variables with 30mm tubes.

IMHO the Ruger Scout is an underrated rifle, don't put an optically inferior scope on it! :-)

Ok. So that’s new info I did not know. Thank you!

Can you link to some good rings that would fit on the Ruger and a scope. I guess I’m not married to the forward scope prospect if there are better options.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I have a forward mounted IER Leupold 2.5X on my 336. It is easy to shoot with both eyes open and works well for the range the rifle is capable of.

That said I could see a 1-6x or 1-8x making more sense with .308.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I went with this after briefly trying a 1-4 scope in the traditional location:
https://www.burrisoptics.com/s...riflescope-2.75x20mm

I mounted it on this rail:
https://www.xssights.com/Detai...PROD=993608&CAT=8286

Multiple mounting options plus ghost ring iron sights.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:

Can you link to some good rings that would fit on the Ruger and a scope. I guess I’m not married to the forward scope prospect if there are better options.

On my Ruger Scout I used the factory Ruger 30mm Rings. My advice would be to pick out the scope first and then figure out which rings will mount it properly next.

https://www.eurooptic.com/sear...ord=vortex+1x+scopes

I was using the Viper PST gen II 1x-6x mounted in 30mm Ruger rings to hit the 600yd gong. for $599 its a very nice scope if a little heavy. I have a couple of the Razor II's which are even better but noticeably heavier.

On my Steyr Scout 308 I've use a Swarovski 1-6x BRT illuminated for years. Just a fantastic scope! Now that the 1-8x is available you might be able to find a Z6 1-6x for a non-stupid expensive price. The Z8's are even better but are up in the the stupid expensive range. At the range I've looked through some GREAT Kahles low powered variables and there are others.

A buddy of mine had a Leupold 1-4something 1" tube on his Scar 17 that I thought was a very nice scope, I shot it sub-MOA to 300yds. Something like that would make a lighter weight choice that fits in the rings you already have.

If it were ME with your rifle, I would shop around for the best 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 scope that I could afford, order some Ruger 30mm rings from Brownells and have a Fantastic Scout/Hunting rifle!

just FWIW my 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger is 1/2 to 3/4 MOA to 600yds and my nephews 308 I worked up was nipping at its heels. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:

On my Ruger Scout I used the factory Ruger 30mm Rings. My advice would be to pick out the scope first and then figure out which rings will mount it properly next.

https://www.eurooptic.com/sear...ord=vortex+1x+scopes

I was using the Viper PST gen II 1x-6x mounted in 30mm Ruger rings to hit the 600yd gong. for $599 its a very nice scope if a little heavy. I have a couple of the Razor II's which are even better but noticeably heavier.

On my Steyr Scout 308 I've use a Swarovski 1-6x BRT illuminated for years. Just a fantastic scope! Now that the 1-8x is available you might be able to find a Z6 1-6x for a non-stupid expensive price. The Z8's are even better but are up in the the stupid expensive range. At the range I've looked through some GREAT Kahles low powered variables and there are others.

A buddy of mine had a Leupold 1-4something 1" tube on his Scar 17 that I thought was a very nice scope, I shot it sub-MOA to 300yds. Something like that would make a lighter weight choice that fits in the rings you already have.

If it were ME with your rifle, I would shop around for the best 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 scope that I could afford, order some Ruger 30mm rings from Brownells and have a Fantastic Scout/Hunting rifle!

just FWIW my 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger is 1/2 to 3/4 MOA to 600yds and my nephews 308 I worked up was nipping at its heels. :-)

Alright. I think I am getting it more:

https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-9...inless/dp/B00162T9TY

and Im gonna spend 500 something bucks on a good scope?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
Also, some shooters like the 2-7x32 handgun scope mounted as a scout scope. Reading through the CMP Garand forum you'll find a number of guys that use the Ultimak or Amega mounts in place of the forward handguard and put either a Burris or Leupold on it.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/s...ndgun-scope-2-7x32mm

https://www.leupold.com/scopes...3-handgun-2-5-8x32mm

I have a Burris on order for my Mini-G ( http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/ ) with Ultimak. If this combination works for me, I'll be modifying a .308 Garand to Ultimak and Leupold.

My eyes aren't what they used to be so I'm having to use optics as my crutch. Smile

One of the reasons that Garand shooters like the handgun scopes instead of the scout scopes is that the former have greater eye relief than the latter, and it's a fair amount of distance from your cheek-weld to the forward end of the receiver.

Just more stuff to consider.

Edit to add:

The Burris I have linked above is around $350 from my local gun store. I checked online and their price was better than anywhere else I could find. I was going to buy from them anyway just to support my LGS as they are good people, but it's nice to know that if they aren't the best price, at least they are competitive.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Also, some shooters like the 2-7x32 handgun scope mounted as a scout scope. Reading through the CMP Garand forum you'll find a number of guys that use the Ultimak or Amega mounts in place of the forward handguard and put either a Burris or Leupold on it.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/s...ndgun-scope-2-7x32mm

https://www.leupold.com/scopes...3-handgun-2-5-8x32mm

I have a Burris on order for my Mini-G ( http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/ ) with Ultimak. If this combination works for me, I'll be modifying a .308 Garand to Ultimak and Leupold.

My eyes aren't what they used to be so I'm having to use optics as my crutch. Smile

One of the reasons that Garand shooters like the handgun scopes instead of the scout scopes is that the former have greater eye relief than the latter, and it's a fair amount of distance from your cheek-weld to the forward end of the receiver.

Just more stuff to consider.

Someone recommended this to me. Does it use 30mm?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
Unless I'm mistaken, you're going to need 1" rings for the Burris and Leupold. I intend to get some quick detachable rings from Warne or somebody. Have to figure that out yet.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Unless I'm mistaken, you're going to need 1" rings for the Burris and Leupold. I intend to get some quick detachable rings from Warne or somebody. Have to figure that out yet.

Oh.. I like those QD rings. Amazon has them.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The 2-7 scopes are nice and versatile, if a bit heavier.
The fixed power scopes are lighter and more in tune with the "scout scope concept".
If that isn't your focus, ignore it. But, there is a lot to be said for a light, well-balanced bolt gun. Saving ounces where you can will help.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I went with a forward mounted scope so that I didn’t have to remove the rear iron sight. I like having the back up sights. Mine is a leupold 1.5-4x I think. It’s illuminated for close up. It may be the “hog hunter” model. I use quick detach rings.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
The fixed power scopes are lighter and more in tune with the "scout scope concept".
If that isn't your focus, ignore it. But, there is a lot to be said for a light, well-balanced bolt gun. Saving ounces where you can will help.

Can you suggest one?
Bruce

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Burris makes an excellent 2-7x scout scope. I have it mounted on my sons Ruger GSR in 6.5 CM. 1" QD Warne rings. Works great for up close or at distance if need be. I also have a Leupold 1-4 fire dot reticle on my 308 GSR. I wanted it mounted in the "regular" fashion but didn't want to lose my rear peep sight so I added an XS sight rail. It has built in Rear Peep. Pics for reference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Delta-3,

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Can you suggest one?
Bruce

I linked to the Burris 2.75 fixed power scope, above. That's the one I went with after the traditional scope was heavy and ruined the balance.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/s...riflescope-2.75x20mm

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris 2.75x Scout Scope with a heavy-plex reticle in Burris Xtreme rings on mine.

I have a set of Warne 30mm QD rings that fit the receiver. I tried a Burris MTAC on it for awhile. But didn't like that set up.

Does anyone with this rifle have an incredibly, almost too-light, trigger pull? My rifle has a trigger that has to be 2 lbs or under. It is ridiculously light. I wouldn't mind it in a target rifle. But I think it is too light for the type of rifle this is.

I love Ruger rifles, but this one is on my short list to sell. I thought I would love it and I pretty much can't stand it.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
I wanted it mounted in the "regular" fashion but didn't want to lose my rear peep sight so I added an XS sight rail.

Does that stock pack add a cheek riser? If so, does it make it difficult to get low enough to use the peep sight correctly?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post