SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli Nova 12ga thoughts, others?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli Nova 12ga thoughts, others? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I am looking for a shotgun new or used for a HD tool.

Seem's like a lot of things. 12 ga some are a bit in short supply or are going for a premium. I do not need one that bad.

But the Made in Italy Nove tactical pump seems like
a great value and has a good reputation.

So I thought I would ask and see what y'all had to say.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Supernova Tactical. They are nice guns.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
A 500 mossberg is also a good candidate on a tight budget it would seem.
Should be able to get either for under $400

posted Hide Post
I am an 870 fan, after using them all my police career. But, my HD shotgun is a SuperNova. Its fore end mounted magazine cutoff is a better design, as is its overall construction. The only drawback to the SuperNova is there are not as many custom goodies for it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I am an 870 fan, after using them all my police career. But, my HD shotgun is a SuperNova. Its fore end mounted magazine cutoff is a better design, as is its overall construction. The only drawback to the SuperNova is there are not as many custom goodies for it.

The Nova also has the magazine cutoff feature. I think the Mossberg 500 does as well.

posted Hide Post
The Benelli tactical pumps are solid guns. A couple of the guys at the shop own them, and some also rely upon the type in their field versions for hunting as well. I've shot the Super Nova in both tactical and field form; no real complaints. I do like the mag cutoff feature; great for changing up things. Like changing out a I'm more lukewarm towards the abundant amount of polymer that Benelli is so fond of using. With pumps I've gone all in with Mossberg myself. I've got a 500 that I've more or less retired in favor of using my Shockwave in the HD role instead. A standard 18.5" no frills M500 should sell for a little less than the Benelli, around $370 NIB taking into account the price hikes that Mossberg introduced this year. The Benelli Nova should fall in the low 400s NIB, with a NIB Super Nova roughly a C-note more. At that price I'd be more keen on looking at a 590 or 590A1.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I have a Benelli Nova 20GA for bird hunting and a 12GA Supernova Tactical Pistol Grip. They have done very well, my only real complaint is the trigger pull is slightly over 8 pounds on both of mine. Both of mine have chrome plated chamber and bores. Something you don't see very often on American made shotguns.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If wanting a simple pump gun for ‘home defense’ I’d at least take a peek at the used market. It seems shotguns, especially older & used can be a bargain.

Years ago I was given an older Ithaca Model 37, 16 ga. It’s very light, just over 18” barrel. My younger son carried it some grouse hunting.

One consideration is barrel swapping, hard to find one with some models. Another option is the longer barrel then cut it back some.

I wouldn’t be bothered with lack of specialty defense loads, as with a 16 ga. Some higher powered #4 shot or so would be enough.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Supernova Tactical that I am quite happy with. Like others have said, the mag cutoff is a huge plus. The only real drawback is there are less aftermarket parts/mods available for the Nova/Supernova than Remington or Mossberg shotguns. Overall I am happy with mine and would buy it again.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I agree used is a good value. Am leaning toward a 500 Mossberg for that reason. I wouldlove a 1201fp, 590 but prices seem to be at list or higher on them. A good used 500 at a couple hundred less or half the price seems like a good way to go. Still trying to figure it out. Let me know if you see or have something. Thanks guys.

posted Hide Post
My Benelli Supernova Tactical is the first new long gun I ever bought. Did a Nordic extension, Mesa side saddle. It’s been great, zero complaints. I personally have to have ghost ring open sights on a working shotgun.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I own a Nova, a 870, and 2 590s.

The Nova is a pretty solid gun, but the stock LOP is longer than I would prefer and there isn't anything you can do about it. The ghost rings are a nice feature. My real gripe with it is that you pretty much have to run the pump once (using the cut off) after you load the tube or it will dump the first round out of the magazine on the ground when you rack it. I leave my guns "car ready" (empty chamber, hammer down, safety on) and on at least this one specific example that requires a bit more effort than my other guns to be reliable.

My 870 is an Express from 2004 or so. Ive replaced the mag spring and follower and added a Surefire forend, but otherwise it's stock. Been an extremely robust and reliable shotgun over the years. The newer ones I've seen have been a bit...rougher...but honestly I'm comparing them to how I remember mine feeling before it wore in.

The 590s are both relatively new. Solid guns that feel a bit more lively in the hands than the 870. Factory LOP is long, but aftermarket stocks are available to fix it if its a problem. I prefer the safety setup on the Mossberg UNLESS I want to run a pistol grip. It's terrible for that, but my SBS is built on a 590 and is currently running a pistol grip and collapsible stock. It's workable, just not ideal.

I used to consider the 870 and 590 to be roughly equivalent in quality and a matter of preference. Given Remington quality lately, I'd go with Mossberg every time in a new or recent gun. The Nova would be in third.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Great guns to shoot.

To me, not a great gun to hunt with because of the fat receiver. Fine for sitting in a duck blind, not great to carry turkey hunting (assuming you carry it in one hand, rather than with a sling)

Nova's are cheap. Super Nova's as well. And when you compare them to Benelli autos, they're dirt cheap.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I agree used is a good value. Am leaning toward a 500 Mossberg for that reason. I wouldlove a 1201fp, 590 but prices seem to be at list or higher on them. A good used 500 at a couple hundred less or half the price seems like a good way to go. Still trying to figure it out. Let me know if you see or have something. Thanks guys.

1201fp? Do you mean the Beretta 1201fp? That’s an inertia operated semi-auto, not a pump.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a supernova tactical for a few years, I like it a lot. It has some GG&G parts, mag extension and clamp, & a spring and follower.
I inherited an old marine magnum 870 from my dad and it’s great, but I use the benelli.
The old man always gave me crap about the “plastic shotgun”.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tomgun,

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post