SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking of a Ruger American Ranch in 350 Legend, help with optics.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of a Ruger American Ranch in 350 Legend, help with optics. Login/Join 
posted
I'm thinking of picking up a Ruger American Ranch in 350 Legend, mostly because it looks fun and it would be useful to tote around while on my farm in VA. I'm thinking i won't be stretching it out past 250 yards and I was thinking a Vortex Diamondback 3-9. Those that have this rifle or rifles in this cartridge, what did you go with and why?

TS

Posts: 859 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not exactly apples apples but I have a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 that I put a Leupold VX-R 2-7 with a Firedot on. I think the 2-7 for a general purpose/ranch rifle is pretty spot on, and I wanted some type of illumination for predators in low light since we have quite a few Yote’s yipping all night around here.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Leupold makes a 350 Legend specific reticle, its part of their Freedom lineup

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Not exactly apples apples but I have a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 that I put a Leupold VX-R 2-7 with a Firedot on. I think the 2-7 for a general purpose/ranch rifle is pretty spot on, and I wanted some type of illumination for predators in low light since we have quite a few Yote’s yipping all night around here.

I pu the same on my American Ranch in 300blk

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that really a useful cartridge when you arent required to have straight wall cartridges by hunting regulation?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Is that really a useful cartridge when you arent required to have straight wall cartridges by hunting regulation?

No, but i've never really needed a reason to acquire another firearm other than, hey this looks fun to shoot.

TS

Posts: 859 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towershot:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

No, but i've never really needed a reason to acquire another firearm other than, hey this looks fun to shoot.

The Ruger American Ranch is also available in 6.5 Grendel. The Grendel has a number of advantages over the 350 Legend -- greater ammo selection, flatter trajectory, better accuracy, low-cost ammo options, better ballistics at long distance, equal or better energy on target.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Guys, the man just wants to screw around with something different and there's nothing wrong with that.

FWIW, I'll throw in another vote for Leupold 2-7s given your range requirements. If you don't necessarily want illumination, you can get a slightly cheaper Leupold but there may also still be a few Nikon MOA-reticle 2-7s around. They're nominally for rimfires, but (per Nikon US CS) they're tested to handle the recoil of much more powerful cartridges. Either way, the 2-7s from either brand are well-made and priced right for a "just screwing around to see if I like this" kind of rifle.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Guys, the man just wants to screw around with something different and there's nothing wrong with that.

I get that. The majority of firearms are purchased for want, rather than need.

However, a straight-walled cartridge often limits a rifle's all-around capabilities. It makes sense when regulations require that type of cartridge for hunting, but not when the rifle owner has cartridge options. The 350 Legend may not have used the best bore diameter, and thus has limited bullet selection.

6.5 Grendel has quite a few factory ammo options. Hunting loads, accuracy loads, cheap plinking loads. Plus the ability to shoot accurately at longer distances, should the rifle owner wish to do so.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the responses. If I need to shoot accurately at longer distances, I'll grab the either the 25-06, .308, or 300WM I have. The 350 Legend just looks fun in the Ruger American Ranch, a handy rifle for walking around the farm. Plus, it seems like a box of the Winchester plinking ammo is hovering at about $12.

TS

posted Hide Post
The Ruger Americans are pretty decent rifles, I have one in 358 Winchester.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger ranch in 450 Bushmaster. It’s my deer gun and I have a Vortex PST Gen II 2-10 on it. It’s a great deer gun imo.

The stock that comes on the rifle is total shit. I just threw a Magpul on mine because I only shoot it under 100 yards and don’t need anything special, but the factory stock flexes badly and easily touches the barrel.

Also, others have said it, but 350 legend is a meh caliber if you’re not legally required to use it. The marketing hype came out hard, but when I put it through a chrono and ran the numbers I was tremendously underwhelmed. The only use for it imo is for hunters in straight wall only states who are recoil sensitive and can’t shoot the 450. Outside of that, I can’t think of a reason to choose it.

I’d say look into other calibers. Something like a 300 blk would be far more useful imo, just one of a number of options. I have a desire to build up a sweet 450, but I really can’t find anything to change for what its purpose is. I want it fancy and cool, but my cheap little ranch works just fine.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post