SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Update page 2...So I Went Shooting (ELR)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update page 2...So I Went Shooting (ELR) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hah, Hah, 7/12 is a really good day!

That is some skill. I am lucky to get 50/50 hits on the broad side of a barn, if I am inside it.

I rarely stretch more than 200. That is due to my limited safe shooting lane on my property, it is also due to my lack of fundamentals.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have said it once and I will say it again.

I couldn't hit those targets if I Fedex'd the round there.

Awesome shooting and looked pretty socially distant too. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where is the range you're shooting at? Also, I can't even begin to fathom shots like this, what scope is on your rifle?

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towershot:
Where is the range you're shooting at? Also, I can't even begin to fathom shots like this, what scope is on your rifle? TS

I don't shoot at ranges much anymore. I'm in Southern California and drive east a couple of hours to BLM land; there are just a few places that allow the distances I like to shoot. The desert has a few places also but they can be spotty with all the ATV'ers running around.

The scope I'm using right now is the Gen 2 Vortex 4.5-27x56 Razor. I typically shoot around 15x magnification because of mirage so I'm not needing more power. I wish the scope had more internal travel but I'm zeroed at 1000 yards and can dial most of what this caliber can shoot but may go to another optic when I build a "big boomer" for 3000 yards plus.

**Note to Bendable - You asked about hit percentages and I mentioned that some days can be a challenge. I went out a couple of days ago and went 10 for 30; at 1852 (4/12) and 2232 (6/18) yards. Wind was calm, 4-6mph, BUT temps were in the 90's and mirage was brutal. Oh well, if it was easy, I wouldn't have anything to look forward to.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a 7SAUM off and on for the last several years. Last barrel 30" to squeeze out velocity, 180 Berger Hybrids at 3000fps. Have access to a private ranch. Shot quite a bit there at 1460, 1660, and 1760 with the 7SAUM. What keeps me in check regarding hit percentage is the inches of wind drift for 1 mph at those distances. For example at 1660yds my bullet drifts about 13.4" for every 1 mph L-R wind, 1760 drifts 15.2". Shoot, flight time, see impact hit or miss, react to the impact, shoot again, wind changes 1 mph.... Some days decent hit percentage, other days a beat down chasing the wind thinking I need a bigger caliber!

Sig Marine what is the wind drift at 1 mph in inches at the distances you're shooting? What are you going to build for your big boomer?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:

The scope I'm using right now is the Gen 2 Vortex 4.5-27x56 Razor. I typically shoot around 15x magnification because of mirage so I'm not needing more power. I wish the scope had more internal travel but I'm zeroed at 1000 yards and can dial most of what this caliber can shoot but may go to another optic when I build a "big boomer" for 3000 yards plus.

**Note to Bendable - You asked about hit percentages and I mentioned that some days can be a challenge. I went out a couple of days ago and went 10 for 30; at 1852 (4/12) and 2232 (6/18) yards. Wind was calm, 4-6mph, BUT temps were in the 90's and mirage was brutal. Oh well, if it was easy, I wouldn't have anything to look forward to.

Your zero is at 1000? again- DAMN! Eek

A few years back, my lil bro (current member of the Uncle Sugar's Magic Circus) was stationed at 29 stumps and running the infantry side of CAX out there. I was able to spend a few days with him and his instructors during "instructor development week". One of his SSgts invited me to shoot with him. I learned more that day about shooting rifles than any other day outside of snapping in during boot camp.
I was happy as all get-out playing around with a .338 and hitting things at a grand.
Then the young SSgt started to ping steel at 1200, 1500 and 1700 on a regular basis.
Truly impressed!

I can't imagine 2K+!!!!!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
I've been shooting a 7SAUM off and on for the last several years. Last barrel 30" to squeeze out velocity, 180 Berger Hybrids at 3000fps. Have access to a private ranch. Shot quite a bit there at 1460, 1660, and 1760 with the 7SAUM. What keeps me in check regarding hit percentage is the inches of wind drift for 1 mph at those distances. For example at 1660yds my bullet drifts about 13.4" for every 1 mph L-R wind, 1760 drifts 15.2". Shoot, flight time, see impact hit or miss, react to the impact, shoot again, wind changes 1 mph.... Some days decent hit percentage, other days a beat down chasing the wind thinking I need a bigger caliber!

Sig Marine what is the wind drift at 1 mph in inches at the distances you're shooting? What are you going to build for your big boomer?

Offgrid – There are several shooters on the forum, like you, Fritz, Nikon User, etc., that have solid fundamentals. Fundamentals so good that the only reason you miss a shot is because of…wind. You are absolutely correct in having to know how much 1 mph of error will do to your bullet at the target. With this particular rifle/bullet combination, 300 Norma with 225 ELD-Ms, this calculates to 27.8 inches at 2232 yards and at 2373 yards, it’s 32.5 inches. The targets I’ve been using are usually between 1.25 and 1.5 MOA so it leaves little room for error. I have targets in various sizes but most often use a 24” square at 1500-1850 yards, 30” round at 1850 – 2250 yards, 36” square at 2250-2650 yards and a 40” square for targets beyond 2650 yards.

I’m getting ready to build a 375 CheyTac for shooting beyond 2650. The calibers I have now will get there but it’s beyond reasonable, consistent expectations without going to solids. Since my barrels have twist rates best suited for jacketed bullets, I don't see any reason to spend the money on solids for marginal results. So, I figure if going to use monolithic bullets, build a rifle with a barrel having the right twist rate (1:7) and length, most guys run at least 34”-36”, to take advantage of the additional BC (G1 is 0.930 – G7 is 0.445) the solids offer; some guys I know are driving the Cutting Edge 400gr Lasers over 3100 fps. Wind call error of 1 mph with this round at 2373 yards would be 21 inches AND it would still be supersonic; the round would not go subsonic until 2975 yards. Of course, when shooting at very long distances, all bullets must travel through transonic, the key is finding one that does it well. Some do better than others but Cutting Edge bullets have a proven track record so I’ll build the rifle around that bullet.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m getting ready to build a 375 CheyTac for shooting beyond 2650. The calibers I have now will get there but it’s beyond reasonable, consistent expectations without going to solids. Since my barrels have twist rates best suited for jacketed bullets, I don't see any reason to spend the money on solids for marginal results. So, I figure if going to use monolithic bullets, build a rifle with a barrel having the right twist rate (1:7) and length, most guys run at least 34”-36”, to take advantage of the additional BC (G1 is 0.930 – G7 is 0.445) the solids offer; some guys I know are driving the Cutting Edge 400gr Lasers over 3100 fps. Wind call error of 1 mph with this round at 2373 yards would be 21 inches AND it would still be supersonic; the round would not go subsonic until 2975 yards. Of course, when shooting at very long distances, all bullets must travel through transonic, the key is finding one that does it well. Some do better than others but Cutting Edge bullets have a proven track record so I’ll build the rifle around that bullet.

Please post updates to your 375 Cheytac build as you progress.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd give this thread an update...

Although I've been shooting on a regular basis between 1860 yards and 2600 yards for the last couple of years (and out to 3643 on a ULR road trip), we were finally able to get out and clear a couple of target areas beyond 3000 yards where we shoot 2.5 hours from home. The picture below shows one area (left circle) that is 3231 yards (1.835 miles) and the other (right circle) is 3580 yards (2.03 miles). We only had time to set up 1 target at the 3231 yardage which is the 40"x40" white square (1.23 MOA) shown in a picture looking through the spotter. Shooting was a little difficult as the winds were gusting between 10 - 20 mph over terrain that wrecks havoc with air flow but we got impact on the 9th shot. Had several just off the edges but the wind had other ideas. Plans are to set permanent targets out at these 3000+ target areas and use portable targets at 1650, 1860 and 2400 yards for shooters with less "gun".

Rifle is a 33XC shooting Berger 300 Hybrids in an Accuracy AXMC under a Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 with a Charlie Tarac.

Edited to add: for the guys who like numbers, the 40" square plate at 3231 yards with my rifle has a maximum of 10 fps vertical and a 0.7 mph wind horizontal. This target gives us 20" of plate up and 20" down from center (elevation) as well as 20" of plate left and 20" right from center (windage). What this means is the muzzle velocity HAS to be within 5 fps +/- of the average AND the wind call HAS to be within +/- 0.35 mph to hit the target

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig Marine,

posted Hide Post
I can't imagine your kind of skill. But then again, the longest place we have found around here is 450 yards. But me and the cousin are pretty efficient at that range.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

Please post updates to your 375 Cheytac build as you progress.

Yes please!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post