SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cloud Defensive Optimized Weapon Light (OWL) - Who has used it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cloud Defensive Optimized Weapon Light (OWL) - Who has used it? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
And what is your verdict? Seems a perfect WML everything in one neat package. Everything seems to be in their natural location, at least on paper. Your thumb right on top of the on/off tab, where the picatinny rail is. Only problem is, it's pretty expensive, $100 more than the Surefire M600DF Scout.

https://www.clouddefensive.com/product/owl/

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does look like a better light than the Surefire Scout. However, it's pretty expensive (I know, new technology), and the Scout is well proven and works really well for me. Hopefully the price point will go down over time, and it will spur more innovation in competitors.

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, even Primary Arms sells at full retail. Don't need it, but want it, of course. But not $400 want. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you utilize any kind of NV equipment, it wouldn't play well with a mounted laser, and has no IR capability, like the Vampire Scouts.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't like having a switch at the 12:00 position. I shoot with my thumb over top of the handguard, and with a 12:00 pad there's no good place to clamp down your thumb on top when you don't want to use the light, without changing your hand position to scoot further down the handguard and behind the pad.

Instead, by having the activation pad offset at 45*, you can keep your thumb firmly planted at 12:00 when the light isn't needed, and then merely by shifting your thumb over to 10:30ish you can activate the light.

Plus, for $400, you can get two Inforce WMLx lights with 45* offset mounts, and have basically the same functionality (albeit with 800 isntead of 1250 lumens) on two rifles.

And unlike the OWL, the WMLx is available with IR capability.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And that built-in pad switch is going to require either scooching the light back, to make room for your front sight, which will create more shadow, or mounting your front BUIS behind the light switch, which I am not down with.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Compared the OWL to the Modlite PLHV2/Modbutton/Arisika mounted on rifles inside and outside.... Preferred the Modlite's light as well as the mounting flexibility of the Arisika/Modbutton especially suppressed.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen them in operation but not used them. Check out their REIN light as well. It looks like it gives you more mounting freedom as its not just a 1 pc.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have one on my 9”, 300Blk AR. I like it so far. It’s somewhat big diameter wise, but not too big. I have not shot with it yet so I can’t give any real definitive info. I do like how obscenely rugged it is and the fact that it’s a self contained unit… no wires hanging around to route. I’ll post up some pics

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the OWLs and just got a REIN. I love both styles. The OWLs seem match up better with pistol length ARs. The front sight is a little tricky, I am running on the inside of the Owl on a mk18. Not ideal but it works. The Rein is mounted on a 16” rifle and works great with the pressure pad. The ability to easily control the wires is excellent. Battery life seems to be really good as well. Another plus is if you can’t find a hammer you could always drive nails with these.

Watch for blem sales at cloud defensive. They usually have them for $299. Mine had a small ding. Or Lanbo’s usually has them at a decent price.

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, Cloud Defensive is having a 4th of July sale.

http://c.bm324.com/public/view...9e049ed67f92509017ed

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I had an OWL on my v7s AR Pistol and it was just real heavy. I swapped for a Surefire Scout light and enjoy it better.but the Owl’s durability and customization all in one package is pretty neat. I can absolutely recommend it, with the weight caveat.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Garand Thumb on YouTube did a video a few years ago "Best weapon light ever? Cloud Defensive OWL (Weapon light comparison)". Quite a bit of good information.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ That was where I learned of them.

posted Hide Post
Have one and like it, but like their REIN more. The REIN uses Scout mounts, includes a tape switch with great cable management (if you buy the full kit), and is available in 18650 and 18350 variants. I think the REIN is a little more versatile but still like the OWL as well.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to dry-fly, I got one for a discount. And, after mounting it the "normal" way on the top rail of ARs with different forearm lengths, I was getting a little dismayed at how unnatural it was to actually to use the thumb to press down from top to switch on/off. Looks good on paper but not so good in practice. Then I decided to try mounting it at the 9 o'clock position, and man, everything came together. Much more natural / easier to switch on/off (to me anyway). Except for it being a little fatter and heavier than the Surefire M600DF Scout, I like it.

Q

posted Hide Post
Given the issues with damaging free float rails when dropping the rifle with a big weight hanging off the end (MAWL and Geissele MK16) I am a little Leary of the OWL.

I like the Surefire Dual Fuel Scout and newer Scout Pro for rifle length barrels, along with the shorty 1 cell Scout for short barrels. Depending on mounting position hitting the standard end cap button is not hard, but I might add a remote switch.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
And what is your verdict? Seems a perfect WML everything in one neat package. Everything seems to be in their natural location, at least on paper. Your thumb right on top of the on/off tab, where the picatinny rail is. Only problem is, it's pretty expensive, $100 more than the Surefire M600DF Scout.

https://www.clouddefensive.com/product/owl/

You need to factor in the cost of extra rechargeable batteries. For real world use wyou will need 3 or 4, 1 in the light, 1 or 2 charged spares and one charging at all times.

DF's ability to also use 123's is attractive in the real world.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cloud Defensive recommends Samsung 30Q unprotected 18650s. You can get them for $5. Buy a bunch.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post