SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So lets talk about an affordable weapon mounted light for a rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So lets talk about an affordable weapon mounted light for a rifle Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
Why would you want a weapon mounted light constantly on?
If your off hand is otherwise occupied, such as with a cell phone or opening doors, moving objects out of your way, etc, and if your position has already been revealed. A sling, too, can be a great aid in the above described scenario. Again I'll ask the question- how many hands do you have?

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Here’s a Midwest industries front sight rail. No gunsmithing.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...003375327?pid=968824

I used this same setup on my carbine and it worked great. The tape switch I just strapped onto the handguard with a pair of wide rubber bands. Bicycle inner tube pieces would work for that too. Or as someone mentioned, Gorilla tape. The hole behind the rail slots on either side is a QD socket where you can mount a sling, too. I used it that way for a few years, light on the right side and sling on the left, and it worked great.

If I had it to do again though, I'd probably ditch the tape switch and use a constant on/off tailcap switch instead, mounted on the left side so I can hit it with my thumb, and some other way of attaching the sling. Maybe a loop style attachment.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good points guys. I am leaning toward the IWL mount ($40) Then the StreamLight HL-X light with tape switch.
I agree with a constant on feature and the need. But think the light on the right side and the tape switch on the left is the best set up for me.

Still thinking on it.

Thanks for all the great input guys.

Merry Christmas. Be safe!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Ever had to clear a dark building at night with a rifle and had to use one of your hands to open a door, move an object out of the way, or get on a radio while still covering a threat? I have.

I want constant on as an option.

As far as throw vs spill, both are important. I LOVE the OWL on a full size carbine as it puts light WAY downrange. It's just not the best choice for clearing rooms. The HL-X is actually a really nice light for most purposes. It's just a little bulky by current standards.

When it comes to placement, my light is on the right on an offset mount that puts it tight up alongside the front sight. The tape switch is on the top rail I really like it there as it is a natural place for my thumb to land and I can reach it with either hand in the event I find myself shooting from the off side.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
does the HL-X have a constant on function. If not what other light should I consider for IWL front sight mount. Thanks guys and Merry Christmas.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
does the HL-X have a constant on function. If not what other light should I consider for IWL front sight mount. Thanks guys and Merry Christmas.

This version listed on their website has a tapeswitch that includes a momentary pad and a constant button toward the wire end. The older models have a different tapeswitch with the momentary pad only.

https://www.streamlight.com/pr...otac-rail-mount-hl-x

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rustpot. I am thinking that is how I am going to go. I appreciate it.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It's actually a pretty nice setup. There is a long pressure pad that is momentary and a small but obvious button that is constant. You arent' going to hit it by accident, but you aren't going to miss it either. On my setup I've got the tape switch on top and the constant on button is right up against the front sight base.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crimson Trace Rail Master Pro.
A hair over $200 and has constant on option with remote switch. M LOK and pic rail adaptable.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Crimson Trace also makes a CWL-102 (500 Lumens) and a CWL-202 (900 Lumens).
They come with a mount, a light and a tape switch.
The tape switch has a momentary pad and an on/off button.
The mount can be mounted on a picatinny rail and has provisions for MLOK/Keymod mounting.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
My SBR uppers use the inforce wml, which is well within your budget, and my old “issued” surefire M952v, that I’ve seen sell for $150.

Very happy with both

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of the new TRL-RM2. I am using it on an AUG and on an AK (MI M-LOK rail). If you aren't going to go nuts on a cloud defensive/modlite/surefire system, this is the way: https://www.streamlight.com/pr...detail/index/tlr-rm2 There are a few guys on the classifieds who are Streamlight dealers that should be able to help you out.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 Christmas’s ago my wife bought me an Olight mini Odin (I believe). Under 150 and it comes ready to go with flashlight, mount, and tape switch. It’s a rechargeable which I like and a quick push is constant on and a constant push is intermittent.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Some great discussion and suggestions here guys. Thank you.
To this point 12131 hooked me up with a like new Surefire M600-DF light for a great price and is a fantastic light. I still need a FSB mount and a tape switch. I am thinking of going with the IWC mount discussed here.

I do have a question on the IWC mount. My M600 has a pictinny rail mount with a thumb screw. Will it attach to this unit without changing anything? Thanks

Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

This version listed on their website has a tapeswitch that includes a momentary pad and a constant button toward the wire end. The older models have a different tapeswitch with the momentary pad only.

https://www.streamlight.com/pr...otac-rail-mount-hl-x

I have three of these on different long guns and love them. Not sure if mentioned yet but they are patterned to fit Surefire Scout mounts so mounting options are endless.

All three of mine are setup offhand in an offset mount with the tape switch on the top rail.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
so since I got the Surefire from 12131 and looking to order a front sight mount for it something was telling me to go through some of my stuff. Well I did and this is what I found.

A Daniel defense rail mount holder
A TDI Arms rail mount Made in Israel
A Elzetta front sight mount. Made in USA.

I now remember buying the Elzetta a few years ago based on recommendations here. Doh.

Kind of surprised no one mentioned it. I am going to give it a try.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So the Elzetta is a good mount. Is an easy install. Seems solid. Can accommodate a 3/4" to a 1" light.
I used my SF G2 just to test it. The swing swivel with a sling on it activates the tailcap.
They provide a plastic adaptor to use for a 3/4" light. I will be checking that out for my SF M600 soon.

I am going to look to see if they make a mount for my Mossberg 500/590.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Hello Legal Beagle...

I am curious to hear more about your experience with the TRL-RM2. I currently have an ElZetta Alpha in an offset (11 o'clock) mount on my lightweight AR. But I'd like to get a WML with more lumens and mount it an 12 o'clock if possible.

I use an LPVO in a 1.93" mount and was curious how much the TRL-RM2 would obstruct your vision when using an LPVO or red dot. Can you describe your experience?

And thank you, old rugged cross, for starting this thread. It's been helpful for me as well.

Chris

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post