SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So lets talk about an affordable weapon mounted light for a rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So lets talk about an affordable weapon mounted light for a rifle Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I cannot spend $300 or more. I would like to be around $100-$125.
I want to mount to an AR15. preferably to a standard round hg. No rail. It does have a fixed front site post.
I am thinking something with a switch. This is a bump in the night set up

DabigBR has the Streamlight HL-X with tape switch for $110. Would that be a good set up. If so, How would I mount it on the AR?

Is there a better set up?

I really want to get this in the works.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated. Especially if you have first hand knowledge.

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Current setup is an OLight PL2 mounted on a rail. Its positioned in such a way that my forward thumb is in position to turn it on/off.
No tape or pressure switch needed.

I think they discontinued the PL2, but this looks like the same light with the built in charging pad on the bottom.

https://m.olightstore.com/pl-pro-valkyrie.html

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This is a good mount for the A2 front sight for light/laser attachment.
https://www.gggaz.com/the-dual...accessory-mount.html

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
IWC makes great stuff. Here you go, mounts directly to the top handguard.

https://www.impactweaponscompo...-light-mount-n-slot/

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will echo the IWC endorsement. I have that exact mount on my "car carbine", which wears mid-length CAR handguards. Where the light is concerned, I'd just do my damnedest to get one that's made in America.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The HL-X rail mount that you are considering is a good light, and the pressure switch works well. I have 8 of them at work and have received no complaints so far. As to mounting it on your gun, that depends on your current handguard setup. The light comes with a rail mount attached, and with mounting clips for the pressure switch that attach to a picatinny rail, and some small zip ties for wire management.

If you have an existing rail on your handguard, it will mount right to that, but it sounds like you don't, so anything you do for any light is gonna be kinda kludgy. I know you can get rail segments that attach to a FSB, or even ones that tie into the round holes at the top and bottom of a Mil-Spec handguard (that IWC mount posted above looks pretty cool, if you are truly married to that handguard style). If it was me, though, and I wasn't wanting to go to a free-float tube, I'd buy a Magpul MOE handguard and install that, as it's got mlock slots on it that you can install rail segments on as needed. It doesn't have all the options that most free-float mlock tubes give you, but they're pretty inexpensive, and IMO a much better option that trying to make stuff work with a round Mil-Spec handguard. That said, back in the day, even the guys from the high-speed-low-drag outfits used to attach stuff with bike iner-tubes and duct-tape...but thankfully there are better options available today.

Also, just a shout out for DaBigBR...I've done business with him in the past and he's a stand-up guy with good prices. If there something you need and he's got it, IMO that's a good route to go.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I like the look of that IWC setup.

My Viking Tactics arrangement here is…dated… (Yes - circa 2005 has in fact called wanting their WML back haha) but it does work. I think the IWC setup would work better. I don’t remember who made the little section of rail that’s attached to my carbine’s handguard. I bought all that back in 2009 save for the light, which is a more recent LED upgrade from the original incandescent SureFire G2 that came with the VTAC mount.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Here’s a Midwest industries front sight rail. No gunsmithing.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...003375327?pid=968824

I used a similar one to the gg&g system for years.. https://www.gggaz.com/the-dual...accessory-mount.html
The cool thing was I used a TLR https://www.streamlight.com/pr...s/detail/index/tlr-1 WML for a pistol that I already had…hung the light on the left rail and I could move the switch with my left thumb.

But I free-floated my AR after retirement and put a rail on the tube for a light.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Having a Picatinny rail segment available for mounting opens up more opportunities. If it’s a traditional military style handguard with ventilation holes there are any number of adapters that provide a rail base. One thing to consider is that depending upon how we anticipate using the light, it can be very valuable to have a constant-on setting rather than just momentary that requires keeping pressure on something like a tail cap switch.

I really like the INFORCE lights. They are easy to operate and switch between momentary and constant on and use a simple mechanical block to prevent unintentional light activations. For a rail mounted light they are also quick and easy to attach and remove, unlike some types. They even have a strobe function that I consider to be worse than useless, but it’s there to use if desired.

https://inforce-mil.com/produc...ghts/wml-wmlx-white/

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that a constant-on functionality ought to be a priority.

A thing to keep in mind on the plastic handguards is, depending on who made it, the holes' size and spacing may be different than "mil-spec".

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still rocking the vtac mount with a 6p and malkoff head for my HD gun. I have a OWL but that's out of the range you listed. I think the HLX is a great option, I have the handheld version of that for my plainclothes light and its pretty great without spending Cloud or Modlight money. Alternatively you could put a TLR1 or similar pistol light on a rail.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
The streamlight will be hard to beat in your budget, add a fsb mount and you should be good to go.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
At the low end, a Streamlight Polytac and Gorilla Tape will do the job.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I didn’t mention it, but the Streamlight Tlr-1 HL is what I have on my FS2000. It’s a “pistol light,” but it works well, is plenty bright, and I can active the switch with my thumb on the hand holding a vertical fore grip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Here’s a Midwest industries front sight rail. No gunsmithing.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...003375327?pid=968824

I used a similar one to the gg&g system for years.. https://www.gggaz.com/the-dual...accessory-mount.html
The cool thing was I used a TLR https://www.streamlight.com/pr...s/detail/index/tlr-1 WML for a pistol that I already had…hung the light on the left rail and I could move the switch with my left thumb.

But I free-floated my AR after retirement and put a rail on the tube for a light.

The MI mount like the above and a GI surplus weapon light with a tape switch including batteries was about $60 total. I'd have bought a GG&G, but found an MI local before I found a GG&G.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Having a Picatinny rail segment available for mounting opens up more opportunities. If it’s a traditional military style handguard with ventilation holes there are any number of adapters that provide a rail base. One thing to consider is that depending upon how we anticipate using the light, it can be very valuable to have a constant-on setting rather than just momentary that requires keeping pressure on something like a tail cap switch.

I really like the INFORCE lights. They are easy to operate and switch between momentary and constant on and use a simple mechanical block to prevent unintentional light activations. For a rail mounted light they are also quick and easy to attach and remove, unlike some types. They even have a strobe function that I consider to be worse than useless, but it’s there to use if desired.

https://inforce-mil.com/produc...ghts/wml-wmlx-white/

Yep. Survived for ten years on my PD AR15. Good light 400-800 lumens depending on the model. 400 is plenty for close in the home use. one model even has an IR mode for night vision if you like.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, some really great posts on the subject.
The IWL mount seems like a winner. So does the one linked to on Midway.

Thanks 92f on the HL-X. Good to hear.

The constant on is an important topic. Does this stream light with tape switch have this as an option, Thanking not.

I need to spend more time going over your guys thoughts. Thanks again. All of your posts have great info.

Thanks again guys

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve got that HLX on one of my SBRs. The other has a Cloud OWL. The Streamlight is actually really nice. It doesn’t have the same insane throw as the OWL but it has better spill. Plenty of usable light. And it does have a constant on switch on the pressure strip.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I’ve got that HLX on one of my SBRs. The other has a Cloud OWL. The Streamlight is actually really nice. It doesn’t have the same insane throw as the OWL but it has better spill. Plenty of usable light. And it does have a constant on switch on the pressure strip.

That's a really good oft-overlooked point. We all think we want the throwiest light but spotlighting one bad guy leaves you blind to the rest. Spill can be really useful to keep track of everything not just that one very specific point. Doesn't mean we all want a romantic fireplace on the end of a rifle but a good balance of the two is ideal.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:

Why would you want a weapon mounted light constantly on?

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post