SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up a Savage 99F
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a Savage 99F Login/Join 
Picture of KPSquared
posted
Picked up a Savage 99F a few months ago. It’s chambered in .308 and was built in 1956. It also came with a Weaver scope!

I took it to the range and it put a few rounds through it and got it zeroed at 100 yards, both iron sights and then scope.

I really like it! This is my second type of lever action, my Winchester 1895 my first.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Classic American rifle. Nice addition.

I bought a tang safety Ruger M77 in 257 Bob a few years ago that came with a Weaver K12. Really cool scope with an amazing fine crosshair but not practical at all for me. Flipped it for $150.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
One of my grail guns! Very nice.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I bought one a few months ago, early 50’s in 300 Sav. It was kinda an impulse buy, $750, fine shape, local store.

I loaded up a few modest rounds, testing was all fine. I had thoughts of one for a good while, they sure did have a long production run.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Well done sir. Beautiful rifle.

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Super nice rifle.

I picked up a model 99 about 10 years ago at a local gunshow. Made in 1947 (my birth year) and chambered in 300 Savage. I would never sell it and yeah, they are getting hard to find.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
An American Classic.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Nice find KPS! That is a friends favorite rifle.
His started shooting wonky, I suspect a bad crown from him not knowing about muzzle protectors during cleaning.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the comments. I had been looking at Savage 99s for a while but all were 300 or 250 Savage chambered. I would like to shoot these cartridges but am not a reloader. When I found one in .308 I jumped on it.

As a featherweight it has a slimmed barrel, slimmed down lever, and the buttstock has been drilled out more than just for the retaining screw.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post