SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Time to upgrade my M1 carbine red dot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to upgrade my M1 carbine red dot Login/Join 
posted
Folks, my tacti-cool M1 carbine with forward rail and Choate pistol grip stock is a joy to shoot. I got it in 2013 as a completely re-sprung and re-parkerized mixmaster shooter. Flawless fun.

But, the optic I have on it is dated. From 2013. A first generation Vortex SPARC. Small window, blue-ish, and for the small window, a bit big. To its credit, it has been rock-solid and held zero for 8 years.

I'm thinking of an upgraded red dot, 2 MOA or so, tube or reflex. I have a Holosun 510 for my Ruger Deerfield, and I'm very impressed. But it is a tad big for the slight M1 carbine. I'd need a low mount, and quick-release is NOT necessary. Ideally, I'd like something a little bigger glass-wise, but compact. Budget-wise, I think up to $300 is about right for a range toy.

Suggestiions?

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
For that budget, you might take a look at Primary Arms.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, for $300, you're looking at something like a Primary Arms micro red dot or a newer generation Vortex Sparc.

For a bit more ($500ish), you could get into an Trijicon MRO. That'll have a wider field of view than the various other micro red dots.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
PSA has the Romeo 5 on sale for $129, I run it on my AK and it's held up well, clear glass good optics.

PAS Rome0 5

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
I'd go with one of the Vortex offerings for the unlimited lifetime warranty.

Posts: 2680 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for input. I might go with a Holosun 503CU (20mm tube) with solar power, battery, and dot and circle reticule. Much more sleek than my old (old) Vortex SPARC. I really like that reticle on my bigger Holosun, and if it does not work out, I can just use the dot.

In fact, I just picked one up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post