SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What scope are you using on your 7.62 battle rifle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What scope are you using on your 7.62 battle rifle? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
I have a Scar 17, and I have a Vortex Razor 1x6 on it. The optic is well regarded and proven, and I have had no issues at all. But I’m thinking I’d like a little more magnification. Possibly mount a red dot on top of a higher power scope? What are you guys using, or wanting?

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2520 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pepsiblue and all,

The scope used depends on usage/mission. A 1 X 6 LVPO or something similar would be a good general-purpose scope. Optics used on a M-14/M1A DMR would generally be something like a Leupold M3 MK IV 3.5 x 10 to gain accuracy. Here's what I use on my custom LRB M-14 DMR:

For longer range work with the M-14 I use "Reacher" my double lugged, McMillan stocked, Walther barreled LRB custom. The optics are a Kahle's 525i 5 x 25. Super optics on a super rifle. Here she is:

Match your optics to the mission and you'll be in good shape.

Semper Fi,

Wes

Posts: 2454 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Here's a picture of "Reacher" with the Kahle's 525i scope. The previous post is a picture of "Reacher" with a earlier MK IV Leupold.

"Reacher" as currently configured:

Wes

Posts: 2454 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my Black Rain Ordnance AR-10 I mounted a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x8, and on my M1a I have a Leupold Vari-Xiii 3.5x10x40 (IIRC).

Posts: 2560 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
As far as magnified optics, an old 3.5X ACOG. I got a good deal on a Vortex 1-10, but was eyeing the Primary Arms PLXc. Unfortunately I won’t be able to build the AR10 I want until I leave my state, so it’s on a DD 16” 5.56 upper. When I do build it, I’ll get a PLXc (or anything better in the category that comes out) and either go more lightweight on the AR10, or move the Vortex over. If you’re not concerned with high magnification, the LED .308 ACOG with a piggyback enclosed red dot would be hard to top.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a red dot mounted, keeps it around 9 pounds.
I have a 4-16x50 on a QD mount for it when I don't mind the extra 3 pounds.
The NF 2.5-10x42 works well with it, compact and doesn't weigh a ton.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint Micro H1

I don't plan on shooting it much past a couple hundred yards, and don't want added weight on an already heavy rifle.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Match your optics to the mission
Wes led the way with the underlying theme of all these sort of posts.

I wonder what might define a battle rifle optic. I think anything more than 4x on the bottom end would be out-of-line. A wide FOV and decent eye relief would likely be preferred, to aid in quicker shots at closer ranges. I think something might stop being labelled a "battle rifle" when it lends itself more to long range than nearer ranges. Most folks historically use the term to describe a general purpose full caliber rifle.

My AR10 is in a DMR configuration, with a Leupold VX3i LRP 8.5-25x50, bipod, direct thread silencer, and UBR stock. Though it be an AR10, a battle rifle it is not.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
Match your optics to the mission
Wes led the way with the underlying theme of all these sort of posts.

I wonder what might define a battle rifle optic. I think anything more than 4x on the bottom end would be out-of-line. A wide FOV and decent eye relief would likely be preferred, to aid in quicker shots at closer ranges. I think something might stop being labelled a "battle rifle" when it lends itself more to long range than nearer ranges. Most folks historically use the term to describe a general purpose full caliber rifle.

My AR10 is in a DMR configuration, with a Leupold VX3i LRP 8.5-25x50, bipod, direct thread silencer, and UBR stock. Though it be an AR10, a battle rifle it is not.

I agree, in my view the difference is within the optic magnification and the precision capabilities.
I have three AR10's 20,18,16 with US Optics and Nightforce from 3x17 to 2x10.
Don't really consider them battle rifles, but do have a PTR91 with a non magnified Aimpoint on it ~ which would be more qualified as a battle rifle.
Battle rifle, IMO implies more close(r) quarter of sorts.
Of course they can reach out farther but not going to have the same results of a DMR build.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SCAR 17 currently wears a Trijicon VCOG. If I had to do it today I might go for a more modern 1-8 Credo perhaps, but I know the VCOG is as tough as it gets.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 989 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

If I was scoping a rifle today I would go for a Night Force 1 x 8 or 2 x 10 magnification scope for a general purpose "battle rifle". Just my thoughts on the matter.

Wes

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
When I first bought my Scar 17 I was very impressed with the longer range accuracy.
I bought a scope that would be a good compromise of low power and high power.
https://www.swarovskioptik.com...8x56/z8i-2p3-18x56-p
I added the ballistic turrets. The elevation turret is set up for 308, Federal match ammo, 168 grains.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is nothing thats better for an "all around" do it all solution on a SCAR17 than the ATACR 1-8. That covers almost any range that would be considered "battle" distance. And its as tough and reliable. I love mine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Aimpoint Micro H1

I don't plan on shooting it much past a couple hundred yards, and don't want added weight on an already heavy rifle.

Same... I bought (from Q) a nice AccuPower 1-8X on a Bobro mount and tried it for one match but it's too much optic for my needs. Plus it's heavy as balls.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3284 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I put a Primary Arms 3x micro prism on mine. I had a Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14 on there but it was too big and bulky on an already behemoth of a weapon. The PA is perfect out to any reasonable range. If I need precision long distance I'll grab the Weatherby.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Confusing me on that one a little. What gun is exactly a "behemoth" of a weapon. Because it surely is not a Scar 17 which compared to the other options in .308 is on the lighter end of the scale.
And for 'battle rifle' distances I am either too incompetent, old, feeble, or otherwise unfit to get decent hits at 200-400+y with an aimpoint or some silly 3x. But that's just me.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Based on what I would consider a 7.62 “battle” rifle to be, the most recent one I had in active service was equipped with a 2-10× Leupold.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47647 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Iron sights. Because it's an old school FAL and not my primary for anything. I've been pondering an SFAR though. Would probably get a 1-6x Razor.

Posts: 14153 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A Kahles K16i in a Bobro mount

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Confusing me on that one a little. What gun is exactly a "behemoth" of a weapon.

To be fair, I do have a bipod and a suppressor mounted on it. That, coupled with a loaded 20 round mag, makes it a behemoth to me.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post