SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    That fave .30 cal battle rifle got me thinking.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That fave .30 cal battle rifle got me thinking..... Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I don't have a semi-auto .308. Seems like I oughta.

Recommendations under say $1,500? Kinda thinking some kind of M1A would be sweet, but I'm open to suggestions. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No experience with any of them, but an RFB can be had in 2/3 that budget, looking on one of the sale sites. Prices looked to be 999-1400 ish.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M1 Garand runs great in .308. The USN used them in 7.62 NATO for years.

The M14 platform is nice too.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ar-10

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
The M-14/M1A is a fine choice. You can definitely purchase a Springfield Armory M1A for under $1500. I'm not sure about a James River Armory M-14? Another to consider would be a James River BM-59. Think M1 Garand/M14 hybrid. They're under $1500 and unique.

Honestly though look at the CMP Garands. It's easy to qualify for purchase and they're just so dang fun.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore currently has M1A Loaded rifles on sale for ~$1400, which is ~$500 off normal retail price. Free shipping too.

Stainless Steel Barrel: https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...oducts2.cfm/ID/50246

Carbon Steel Barrel: https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...oducts2.cfm/ID/50245

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I’ve always wanted an M1, but I’m quite fond of my M&P-10 .308. It’s a great rifle for a bit over $1300. That’s LE/MIL pricing

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the ‘Scout-Squad’ M1A, 18” barrel. The price may be near your limit, easy to find, slightly broken in too.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Oh, two other caveats....

Should have a removable muzzle device (so I can put the Silencerco thingy on there for my can) and NOT have to have an optic. LOL The Scout-Squad is looking tempting.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have an Armalite AR-10 and a Springfield Armory loaded stainless M1A in 7.62X51mm/.308. They are both great rifles. If I were to use a can, it would be on the AR-10 with the higher sights.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Oh, two other caveats....

Should have a removable muzzle device (so I can put the Silencerco thingy on there for my can) and NOT have to have an optic. LOL The Scout-Squad is looking tempting.

In that case, the Scout-Squad is a great option. The shorter barrel will help compensate for the suppresor length.

Note that while the muzzle device on a M14/M1A is removable, it requires a special tool to do so, is kind of a PITA, and also means removing your front sight.

So if you plan on attaching a suppressor without also having to use an optic exclusively, you'll want to replace the combo front sight/flash hider with a gas lock front sight from Smith Enterprises.

Also keep in mind that the muzzle of the M1A has a funky 5/8"-24 threading, so you may need a thread adapter for your suppressor "thingy". Or you could get a M14 compatible muzzle device with QD suppressor attachment. (Smith, Surefire, and AAC all offer M14 compatible muzzle devices with suppressor QD capability.)

You'll end up with something similar to my Scout-Squad, which has the Smith Enterprises gas lock front sight as well as an AAC Blackout 51T.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
After all these years, I've finally found myself a M14. Been looking at them for years, but got distracted buying up Ruger No.1 rifles.

I happen to have found a James River, original pattern, M14. I love history, and this was the one I wanted more so than any of the newer variants, being original pattern. Fiberglass need not apply, we have walnut from top to bottom!

It's depressing to see the prices in this thread from just a few years ago. I am very happy to land this used copy from the Cabelas gun library for $1400. It doesn't hurt that I have about $800 in points accumulated. This is a screen grab from the ad. I should have the rifle in hand in a few weeks.

Allen never did report back. Did he end up with a 308 battle rifle?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigcrazy7,

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I really like my Austrian FAL but they are hard to find. DSA is always an option.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1500 will get you close , but for a little more a lightweight POF Rogue will get 'er done !
Check her out , I'm in love with mine !!!!!

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I really like my Austrian FAL but they are hard to find. DSA is always an option.

I was going to mention the FAL, as well. Mine is a recent new-to-me acquisition that was just a shade over the OP’s dollar threshold.

This is my first .308 and it’s a hoot!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The M14 showed up yesterday. Other than missing the stripper clip base, it looks nice. I ordered a new base. The original owner probably removed it for a scope mount.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thoughts on the HK G3 / PTR 91...I enjoy mine although it does a have a Springfield trigger and buffer upgrade. Mags used to be cheap but still can be had for less than $10 each if you shop around. With the trigger upgrade, Magpul PRS stock and lower, picatinny rail it came in just over $1600 or so. I had to shop around and picked up the lower and rail from Robert Johnson.

Some complain about its weight and that felt recoil is too much but you have to remember this is a battle rifle (originally designed in the 50's) and not a bench rifle or M4 clone.

FWIW I really enjoy mine but your YMMV.

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK91 / FAL

Posts: 81 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
$1500 will get you close , but for a little more a lightweight POF Rogue will get 'er done !
Check her out , I'm in love with mine !!!!!

A Big plus 1 one the POF Rouge. I've had a number of M1A's and still have a Devine TX Match grade but even it doesn't shoot as well as the POF.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Lots of great suggestions in this thread.

For that budget, you can get a SIG 716 as just a basic battle rifle, or a handful of others (S&W, Windham, etc.) in the AR pattern. For just a bit more, you could get a Galil Ace Gen 2 in either 7.62x39 or 7.62x51/.308.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post