SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FAL Newb With DSA “Fusion” Magazines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAL Newb With DSA “Fusion” Magazines Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I’m a relative neophyte to the realm of the fabled FAL. A couple of years back I’d secured a DSA version, only to sell it back off in deference to another shiny thing - before I’d even fired it!

More recently, I’ve become the owner of a Century R1A1 Imbel-marked gun. My understanding (keep in mind, neophyte here haha) is that this is hardly considered the premium FAL version to be had. The gun came with one decent steel-bodied magazine, a few polymer Thermold mags, and even another steel mag which I quickly came to realize was configured for an inch-pattern FAL versus my metric.

While the steel mag functioned mostly fine, the Thermolds were misfeed-prone every shot or three. Thus began the search for more magazines.

Surplus mags are, from what I’ve read, the most sought-after. Perhaps I’m looking for surplus mags in all the wrong places, but that supply appears to have skyrocketed in price since my previous almost-experience with an FAL. I actually thought I had a “deal” lined up on a few on another forum; alas, they were already gone as the ad had not been updated!

I had seen some at least nice-looking polymer magazines on DSA’s site, DSA-branded Fusion magazines that were even molded to look more like a factory / surplus steel magazine. They were readily-available and reasonably-priced, so I ordered a few and headed to the range.

While this is hardly a definitive review, I found success with these DSA mags. Zero issues. Well, almost zero. In working with the first one, I found I was getting single-shots out of the rifle for the first few rounds. I’d not experienced this in my previous range session, but quickly / thankfully found that adjusting the gas setting had the gun up and running smoothly in short order.

I restricted myself to 100 rounds even this session but, again, was pleased to find no feeding, ejection, or other problems using the DSA Fusion magazines exclusively. I found in pre-range dry-practice that these magazines initially required a little more effort to seat properly. They don’t give that audible “click” like a metal magazine does. Virtually all of my prior centerfire long-gun experience is with assorted ARs, so I have had (still have) EVERYTHING to learn about the FAL, including getting familiar with magazine-changes.

More to come as future range visits transpire with these magazines. Perhaps they will prove themselves to be a “Magpul-equivalent” a’la the AR world? More to come…

Real riflemen of SF (and I know there are many), please be gentle with me here. This target was shot at a whopping 25 yards haha - I’m sure the gun is capable of far better than this. I was just trying to keep ‘em in the white while also confirming gun and magazine function.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Nice to see they have mags that work now.
I really like the FAL and wish I still had mine.

I always thought they were the coolest looking rifle, beautifully lethal.
Had Imbel and STG kits but no receivers for a while just to have them, they were pretty cheap back then and warehouses of them.
DSA and a couple others had receivers with most being total crap.
DSA ones were about $400 for a type II but I used New Imbel type III Gear Logo ones that I was getting for about $200.
Not counting the tooling it cost me about $300 (with 922R) for Imbels and around $400 for a premium STG.
Milsurp ammo was around $100 for 1,600 rounds delivered so it was cheap to feed the beast too.

Only FAL thing I have now is the left side Rhodie handguard that I just found when I put up new shelving and was going through stuff.
Those were cool kits and had history.

My last version was an Imbel kit with a South African Para lower that was well used.
I reamed the pin holes and installed brass bushings for the folder and it was like new, only older.
I picked up some Aussie handguards, steamed out the dents, cleaned them with wood soap and some Linseed oil to finish.
Looked great and didn't get smoking hot.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Nice to see they have mags that work now.

…didn't get smoking hot.

Yes, indeed - I’ve read some less-than-flattering remarks on some earlier versions of these mags.

As for the heat - you ain’t kidding! May bring an oven mitt the next time I shoot more than 40 rounds at a session haha. Or just another gun to plink with while this one cools!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
Get a set of Imbel handguards and you'll be good to go. The STG handguards are cool, but not really practical.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thank you and shall-do!

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Surplus steel mags are your best bet. Join the falfiles forum and peruse the Marketplace. Surplus mags come up for sale frequently. You can also post a want to buy ad, and you’ll find some.

I also found a few old FAL mags at gun shows.

Good luck and enjoy you riFAL!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thank you - I’m newly-registered over there and will have a look!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,