SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger 44 carbine inbound! **Crappy pic added**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 44 carbine inbound! **Crappy pic added** Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I won an older tube fed ruger carbine on gb. Can’t wait for it to come in. Share any tips, tricks or pictures of yours!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad has one, it’s the deer stalker model. The receiver is not drilled for scope mounts/optics. In normal places and a scope has to ride on the receiver and part on the barrel.When he wanted to put a red dot on it he had to get some strange rail. Because you can’t just drill and tap the receiver-there s some kinda part that moves just under where you would drill for a rail. I think he had to get a cantalivered rail.

I know you’ll love yours.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will just love it.....congrats. I have owned my tube fed Ruger 44 Mag carbine (International model) for many years now. I would not take for it. They are great for deer in heavy brush.....would be good for hogs also.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool, congrats on the find! I handled one of those long ago in an LGS, but haven't seen on since. I got out of .44 Mag about 10 years ago, but recently bought myself a S&W Model 69. I'm now in the market for a carbine to go with it so I've been watching what's out there. Would love to see some pics of yours and a range report when you get it in. I don't even know how these operate...does it have a gas system, or is it some kind of recoil driven action?

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one in my hands at the LGS last year but the $1200 price tag kept it away from me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that has one w/ I believe the magazine feed. Built an intergal(sp, sorry)suppressor in/on it like the MP5SD. Very quiet carbine.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger pinch rail on my desk.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a RUger Deerfield with the rotary magazine as well as a 10-round magazine. Very fun gun, but it IS a bit finicky on the ammo it likes/shoots.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Super cool guns. Needs standard, full power loads. No cast bullets, they will foul the gas port. You can find scope mounts for them pretty easy, I put a Leupold HogPlex on mine, 1 to 4 power. I also added a ammunition carrier in butt cuff style. I've taken to loading and topping off like a shotgun to keep it fed. The .44 magnum punches above its weight class from the 18 inch barrel. I haven't taken mine down past the normal field strip, but I'm told they aren't too bad. Accuracy from mine is okay, nothing to write home about and probably doesn't compare favorably to many rifles. However, there is nothing in the market quite like these guns.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
Super cool guns. Needs standard, full power loads. No cast bullets, they will foul the gas port. You can find scope mounts for them pretty easy, I put a Leupold HogPlex on mine, 1 to 4 power. I also added a ammunition carrier in butt cuff style. I've taken to loading and topping off like a shotgun to keep it fed. The .44 magnum punches above its weight class from the 18 inch barrel. I haven't taken mine down past the normal field strip, but I'm told they aren't too bad. Accuracy from mine is okay, nothing to write home about and probably doesn't compare favorably to many rifles. However, there is nothing in the market quite like these guns.

Understood on what to shoot through the Deerfield. I've got a rail and Holosun reflex sight on mine, since it is basically a 100 yard carbine. I had RLO leather make me a 1" leather stock cheek riser.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are a very neat little gun !! Fun to shoot.... as said before, don't shoot lead. The only suggestion is to pick up extra parts for it when you get the chance. Ruger was not only un-helpful but actually rude when I was looking for a part. They don't want anything to do with you....
Btw....I could usually find parts ( new and/or used) at Numrich Arms. They were a life saver.... I sold my little Ruger have regretted it many times... I wish someone would offer a re-make of this little gun !

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only shoot 240 grain jacketed bullets out of it. Detail cleaning it is a PITA. I have a fixed 3x leupold on mine and it’s super fun and very accurate to 50-100 yards.

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So has it arrived yet? We need pics and a range report!

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
So has it arrived yet? We need pics and a range report!

Thursday I think. My ffl screwed around and didn’t send his license until I asked a second time.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Only shoot 240 grain jacketed bullets out of it. Detail cleaning it is a PITA. I have a fixed 3x leupold on mine and it’s super fun and very accurate to 50-100 yards.

That's why I put a Holosun red dot/reflex on mine. My eyes can handle 100 yards. I have one on my M1 carbine too. That stated, a fixed high quality, low power scope would be a fine choice for a Deerfield.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Picked it up. It’s in great shape! Wish I could post some pictures.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Brother in law had one, don't think I ever saw it get through a full tube without issue.

I don't know the history nor maintenance on his, so that could've been part of it.

Fun little carbine though.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Picked it up. It’s in great shape! Wish I could post some pictures.

Postimages.org

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Here’s a quick pic.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

posted Hide Post
Very nice. My full tricked-out newer style Deerfield is on another recent thread.