SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New AK47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New AK47 Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted
I’ve been without a AK for awhile, so I bought one yesterday. I purchased a Zastava zpap m70 with walnut furniture. I have to wait until Friday to pick it up (Illinois). Seems well made, and has good reviews. The prices though..

I remember Norinco’s for $175 NIB. But I’m old!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Lol, congratulations! I remember trading a taurus pistol for a WASR 10/63, not all that long ago myself.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years ago, an LGS I used to visit had a galvanized trash can sitting at the end of one aisle. The can was stuffed full with SKSs. Take your pick. $75.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Some years ago, an LGS I used to visit had a galvanized trash can sitting at the end of one aisle. The can was stuffed full with SKSs. Take your pick. $75.

Yep, I recall seeing the same at local gun shows. And cases of ammo to match.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^
Those were the good old days. I am astounded when I see what my $300 pre-ban Norinco underfolder is worth these days. Or the Mac-90 thumbhole stock AK’s that used to be as cheap as water. Don’t get me started on 7.62x39 ammo…

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned AK's for 40+ years and distinctly remember saying I wouldn't pay more than $250 for one. Boy, was I wrong about that.

I sold my last M70 a few years back but still have 2 Z-Pap 92's. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pace40,

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
the Z-PAPS are good to go and the best deal out there right now. I picked one up last summer just bc and it quickly became one of my favorite AKs to shoot. AFTER I put the Yugo grip on it. AK prices are insane but these Z's are a good value

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wondering where the PSA G5 AK fit into the mix?

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Z-PAPS are good to go and the best deal out there right now. I picked one up last summer just bc and it quickly became one of my favorite AKs to shoot. AFTER I put the Yugo grip on it. AK prices are insane but these Z's are a good value

Completely agree.
I remember back in the 90's I bought a Chinese SKS for $79 & they threw in a case of Chinese steel core ammo for free.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I picked up the rifle. I’m impressed with the quality, fit, and finish. I installed an ALG trigger in the rifle last night.

I was please to find a pin retainer plate rather then the standard wire retainer inside. That makes disassembly and assembly so much easier!

The rife also has a lock button on the left side of the receiver that locks the recoil spring/guide in place. With that during reassembly you just set the spring guide partially in to the slot, set the cover over it then press the lock button on the side of the receiver. Everything then pops into place. Slickest setup I’ve ever seen on an AK.

I have a Zastava scope mount on the way as well as 10 mags. I like the lock back on empty feature of the factory mags. Buying the 10 factory mags from Zastava Arms USA gets a better price per mag.

I’ve got a Crimson Trace red dot that I plan on putting on the scope mount. I should be fun shooting with that setup. I’ll try to get a pic or two posted of the rifle. Oh, I almost forgot, the walnut furniture is unbelievable as well!

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
i picked up a ZPAP Serbian Red side folder, 3 mags and 1500+ rounds of ammo today as well. I sure didn't need another AK but when the price is right, its right. best AK for the money out there today.

posted Hide Post
After Arsenal (I have a stamped receiver Arsenal set up with Magpul furniture) the ZPAP's seem to be the best of the imports. I saw a Kalishnikov USA yesterday that looked pretty good. Also seeing Riley defense.

I won't touch anything from Century though.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
After Arsenal (I have a stamped receiver Arsenal set up with Magpul furniture) the ZPAP's seem to be the best of the imports. I saw a Kalishnikov USA yesterday that looked pretty good. Also seeing Riley defense.

I won't touch anything from Century though.

My last AK was an Arsenal milled receiver under folder. It was uncomfortable to shoot with that stock. I looked at a Riley at one of the LGS’s. Looked nice, but during my research on them I found out they started out with cast trunnions. After around 500 rds the wear would cause a dangerous headspace issue. They have changed to forged trunnions, but I don’t know when. I emailed them and they asked that I call them with my serial number (I didn’t buy the rifle). I don’t know why they couldn’t or wouldn’t just give me a serial number point of change. It was a nice looking rifle though.

Then I saw the ZPAP M70 at another LGS. I didn’t hesitate.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
There's something about the SKS that I just love. It just looks like a beautiful rifle.

I have no practical need for one, especially since it uses clips rather than magazines, and to this point, I have only bought guns that I believe fit specific roles.

My AK rifle role is filled by a Galil Ace Gen 2, which I picked up last month and haven't even taken to the range yet.

But I still may buy one at some point. Just because.

Post a pic of your Z when you can! I know we'd all love to see it!

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6020 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
not great pics of the Zastavas but ive since put the proper M70 grip on this one and waiting for another to come in for the side folder below.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the pic quality. My digital camera and pc don't want to play well together anymore. I had to use my phone.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Bolo4tom, I like that original grip on your M70. I just ordered one from Carolina Shooters Supply. They are new with a new screw as well for $12.95. Most other sellers were used and you weren’t sure of condition.

Have you thought about doing a para cord wrap on the side folder? That might make it a little softer on your cheek.

My scope mount and mags should be here this week. I’ll get a pic with that setup as well.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Well, as one that never leaves well enough alone, I’ve made a few updates to the AK. I added a Zastava quick release scope mount, a Crimson Trace red dot, a Magpul MS1 sling, Zastava early black plastic grip, and a VG6 Precision Epsilon AK muzzle break/flash hider combo.

I also got 10 new mags from Zastava. They were the originals and I had to modify them to be removed from the rifle more freely. Apparently the newer rifle has a smaller or tighter mag well. The mags had a hump on the back above the prong that locks into the latch. Without grinding that hump off the mag release had to be held down during the entire process of removing the magazine. The supplied “USA” mag didn’t do that. So I ground down and refinished that area of the original mags to match the one that came with the rifle. Now they all work as they should.

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
nice upgrades!! im more of a purist..a 'no optic on an AK' type guy but that's just me.
interesting on your mags..I have a bunch of surplus mags and the ones ive checked have functioned fine without any modifications. ill have to check them all now.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
My old eyes don’t do as well as they used to with open sights. A scope on an AK would be a bit much. But with the red dot mounted forward you can leave both eyes open and the scope will fade and the red dot will be bright.

On the mags, I had to hold the release lever fully in the open position while rocking the mag out of the rifle (all the way out). That’s the first time with any of the AK’s I’ve had over the years that I had to continue holding the release. The mags were jammed up tight against the release. They work fine now. I’ll work on getting some pics up Tuesday.