SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ar-15 rifle poll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ar-15 rifle poll Login/Join 
posted
I have read many many articles and watched many many youtube vids, as homework prior to making the decision to purchasing an A.r. type battle weapon.

and have a question for those with a lot more experience , than I

Question:
If you have shot 1 a.r.-15 type rifle, scoped or not,
haven't you shot them all ?

Choices:
yes, thats correct
more often than not, but some are more accurate than others
no, not at all correct, and here is why ( see explination below)
can not answer, I am an sks guy

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Changing a single part on these guns change their characteristics and capabilities. Change the gas system it recoil different, change the trigger and the gun becomes more predictable and faster to break the shot. The optic changing is even more of a game changer. With a large scope it becomes easy aim small, with a small variable power you get a mixture of a fast optic and the ability to take precise shots on a rifle you are not resting on something, dot sights are fast but take a large workload to hit small targets with when compared to larger magified optics.

Even irons can be great under ideal circumstances. Some optics are better under non ideal circumstances.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
As guardianangel762 said above, and I'll add that the different barrel lengths available make these an almost infinitely adjustable platform.

But maybe you were thinking just the plain-jane AR-15 (16" barrel, DI, carry handle sight, standard carbine butt stock)... are those all the same?
Again, no. While the differences will be more minute, there are noticeable differences in fit and finish between a Colt 6290 and a Del-Ton or PSA.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3354 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You have 4 or 5 different types of gas systems, 3 or 4 different types of buffer systems, dozens or stock and pistol grip choices, perhaps a dozen different calibers, free float vs non free float barrels. 4140,4150,410,or 416 barrel steel. They are all unique.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, sure. Much the same way that if you've drive one car, you've driven them all. They have four wheels (most of the time), and a motor. How different could they be?

Posts: 17145 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more one shoots different ARs, the more one understands the common features and functions centered around the receiver set.

The more one shoots different ARs, the more one realizes how furniture, barrel, sighting systems, trigger, gas systems, and assembly makes different ARs.....different.

Posts: 7877 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
If you've fired one, you've fired them all?

Kinda.

Lot's of good replies here.

Now, since you said you've done your online/reading homework, you need to start going around to gun stores, gun shows, friends/fellow shooters who own various brands of ARs and kick some tires, so to speak. Go handle them, feel them, shoulder them, dry fire them, ( ask first an clear it! ) etc. As you do so, you will begin to see the differences between DPMSs, S&Ws, Rugers, Colts, SIGs, LWRCs, Daniel Defense and so on.

Also, ask the above folks for their feedback. In some cases, you're likely to get fan boy repsonses, Ford versus Chevy, etc. Make sure you know roughly what your budget is going into this quest. Know what you want to do with this AR.

Remember that accessory items such as additional magazines, ammo, sights, cleaning equipment, etc, should be factored into some of your AR budget.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have shot 1 a.r.-15 type rifle, scoped or not, haven't you shot them all ?

That’s the question I answered, not “Are there differences in the features, reliability, etc., among different AR-type rifles?”

I suppose we can debate the definition of “shot,” but to me it refers to what happens when I actually fire the gun. Within my definition, accuracy varies as does felt recoil and even noise due to things like muzzle devices and gun weight, but nothing else I can think of—at least nothing significant.

If, however, we are indeed asking about reliability and various features such as fit and finish, then of course there are differences.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Drop in a high quality trigger to replace the lowest bidder milspec one and you'll answer your own question.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Due to their modularity and sheer number of available parts, the AR-15 is probably the firearm with the most diverse number of configuration ever.

You're really going to tell me that an AR "pistol" is the same as a 26" bull-barreled varmint rifle?

Even narrowing to "Scoped AR-15 rifles" there is a tremendous handling difference between an ultra-light 14.5" and a 20" HBAR.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
No, I don't believe they are all the same. As others have stated, it is probably the most versatile weapon system on the planet - particularly if you count AR-10 variants.

My short, suppressed piston gun is a totally different weapon than my 18" DI SPR build, which is a completely different animal from a purpose-built 3-gun match carbine, which feels nothing like the M4 I carried overseas, which doesn't even remotely handle like a big varmint rig, which is completely unlike a shorty PDW, which... Wink

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Kinda like asking "If you have slept with one woman, haven't you slept with them all?"

Ahem, no Bendable.

No. Smile

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just like any rifle,you have different grades.From off the shelf to match grade. Good triggers,mediocre triggers,bad triggers. Off the shelf barrels to match barrels.They might or might not look the same,or shoot with the same accuracy.

Posts: 12688 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 4. My Sig 716 with its SSA-E trigger, LMT marksman stock and Nightforce scope is the same but different from my Colt LE6920 with Trijicon MRO, which is different than my Colt A3 Tactical Carbine with carry handle sight is different than my Troy with its Leupold 1-4 VXR Patrol. They all do the same thing, they just do it different. Is one better than the other? Sure, depending what you need or want done. Any one of them will do in a pinch, but if I had the opportunity to develop a plan, I would pick the one that would accomplish what I needed to do the best. Like they say, variety is the spice of life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marcushoss,

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Most the people who will tell you that they are all the same with no real differences between them, haven't shot a wide variety.

There is a vast disparity for example, between a Colt 6920 and a JP CTR-02.

Every single AR I have ever owned or handled, benefits tremendously from a quality improved trigger. I've tried quite a few. Geissele, CMC, JP, Larue, Timney, AR Gold, Hiperfire.

My favorite is still my adjustable JP single stage but for a non adjustable and simple install the Larue MBT is excellent and very affordable.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wouldn't it be wonderful for a dozen members to get together with a dozen different rifles , just to see the way they all behave

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
wouldn't it be wonderful for a dozen AR enthusiast members to get together with a dozen different their 100-plus rifles...

fixed

Posts: 7877 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
wouldn't it be wonderful for a dozen AR enthusiast members to get together with a dozen different their 100-plus rifles...

fixed

Heh. Yeah. I'm not even that far gone and I have three complete AR-15s, an extra lower, an extra stripped lower, a complete AR-10, and an extra stripped AR-10 upper.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
A group of coworkers went to the range a few years ago. I brought my MP15 and another guy brought his MP15. I had changed the grip (CAA), the stock (CTR), handguard (free float quad of some kind), VFG, a rail mounted light and an Aimpoint Comp 4. His was a stock flat top Optics Ready model with iron sight, A2 stock, grip and handguard.

Of course the Aimpoint was a significant difference but everyone commented on how much softer mine shot and how much easier it was to shoot. The barrel, upper receiver, lower receiver and fire control group were both stock and identical.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lewis machine offers what they call a Quick change barrel system.

Does anyone here ever change the barrel from one twist rate to another ,
for one distance ,
I guess you would change the bullet weight as well.

bbl # 1 for out to 250 yards and
bbl # 2 for 250 to 400 yards ?

vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjO4QuiU38&t=1s