SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Another AR question: Rifle length buffer and spring?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another AR question: Rifle length buffer and spring? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Since I've gone all-out on my service rifle/precision AR, It dawned on me that I'm using a 22 year old buffer spring from my original AR. I have new carbine buffers and springs, but no spare buffer springs.

Should I go with Wolff, JP, Tubbs, something else?

What's the latest standard in buffers? My original is from a 1999-era Bushmaster A2 lower.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I like Colt OEM action springs, but, given the state of Colt these days, I mght be inclined to purchase from Wolff.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a zillion good ones. But I happen to be happiest with geissle.
I'd go with one of the other high end suppliers like JP (I have their 'silent' version but not a normal spring) as my backup.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No more Geissele stuff for me.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
You can check whether AR buffer springs are still good by checking their free length. Remove the spring from the gun and measure the length at rest, GI/TDP spec calls out a range of 11.75" - 13.5" for rifle springs. If you're below 11.75" it needs replacement.

My favorite springs are Sprinco brand as they're pretty much a lifetime replacement, but their rifle length spring, the 'green' spring, is slightly stronger than a generic GI rifle buffer spring. Sometimes that's an improvement, sometimes it can take a gun that was on the edge of operability and throw it out of whack.

(Edit: for reference the carbine spring measurement is 10.0625" - 11.25")

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Springco or Wolff make quality. That would be where I start.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have two Green springs and a Tubbs flatwire.
Not so sure the Tubbs was worth the extra money.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
And Geissele can fucking pound sand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No more Geissele stuff for me.

I don't know what did it for you, but the mag debacle really soured me to the company. I'll still consider their offerings, particularly in triggers, but I no longer trust them as a company.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JP makes very good springs.
There are good options from other companies, too. Springs are a wear part on a rifle, and a rifle performs better with newer springs.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
And Geissele can fucking pound sand.

What did I miss?
I almost exclusively use their poor man ALG triggers.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Geissele was charging $22 for Geisselle rebranded D&H mags.

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll probably go with Wolff or JP. Any reason to replace my standard buffer?

Tony.

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Any reason to replace my standard buffer?

Check that the bumper isn't hardened or cracked and its roll pin is free of corrosion. The face will get a little worn from it rotating slightly against the tail of the bolt carrier, you shouldn't have any deep gouges, worn grooves, or wear other than superficial. The weights should move freely inside if you give it a little shake.

Otherwise, good to go.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
Geissele was charging $22 for Geisselle rebranded D&H mags.

Is that not what Colt does with $30 Metalform 9mm stick mags and charge $75 for them.

————————————————

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
What did I miss?
Their COVID mandate policy BS, which they were forced to backtrack because of the reaction they got. Yeah, well, too late. I don't ever again want to hear about that company yammering about "freedom".

It may not matter to anyone else, but it matters to me.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What did I miss?
Their COVID mandate policy BS, which they were forced to backtrack because of the reaction they got. Yeah, well, too late. I don't ever again want to hear about that company yammering about "freedom".

I did not hear about that. This is the first I'm hearing of it. Good to know, though.

Ordered a couple of Wolff extra power springs.

Tony.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What did I miss?

Had not heard this either.
Wish this thread had come up last week as I just picked up an ALG for my current build.
Won’t be using their charging handle.

————————————————

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
You can check whether AR buffer springs are still good by checking their free length. Remove the spring from the gun and measure the length at rest, GI/TDP spec calls out a range of 11.75" - 13.5" for rifle springs. If you're below 11.75" it needs replacement.

My favorite springs are Sprinco brand as they're pretty much a lifetime replacement, but their rifle length spring, the 'green' spring, is slightly stronger than a generic GI rifle buffer spring. Sometimes that's an improvement, sometimes it can take a gun that was on the edge of operability and throw it out of whack.

(Edit: for reference the carbine spring measurement is 10.0625" - 11.25")

The length check covers it and double check the rules on parts - I simply don't know enough about service rifle to state "any" spring is ok. I do know they allow a free float which takes the stock clip in handguards. Aint cheap or light, either.

Spring rates can affect cyclic speed - one too stiff will shove the bolt carrier forward so fast it may put the bolt over the mag before the next round can lift up in the column to get stripped off. This is where mag springs are important, too. They need to cooperate.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What did I miss?

Fuck, I had not heard this. Big fan of their triggers, or was. Add them to the list with Carhartt. Masqueraders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post