SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    **11/17/23 UPDATE** Page 3 (Benelli M2) with photos - Home Defense Shotguns - My (our) new intimate relationship begins
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**11/17/23 UPDATE** Page 3 (Benelli M2) with photos - Home Defense Shotguns - My (our) new intimate relationship begins Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've been following the 1301 thread, and this one. Tons of great information. Para made comments regarding shotgun setup including a
sling as a necessary addition. I'm currently set up with a 590 and handgun. The next addition is a semi auto shotgun. All of that being stated, can someone provide basic setup for the shotgun? Why a sling?
I'm geared by nature for multiple layers of defense. I love options, particularly when under stress.
Training isn't a discussion item at this time. It's covered.

I'm looking to complete my current shotgun setup and acquire another.
I've read all of the threads on the forum about this. If this needs to be another thread, let me know. But this discussion seems to be traveling towards experienced user setups. Logical explanation of what is used and why. Recommendations on specific items, and why they work as opposed to others.

Thanks!

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 25, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dented - I too have been following XLT’s thread on the 1301 which made me go to YouTube to watch shotgun compassions. I am now torn between the Benelli M2 vs. the Beretta A300.

Price to price on the Beretta A300 vs. Benelli M2 is almost the same but in order to have the added capacity on the M2, the tube extension, nut, and barrel clam will cost me over $100 extra where as all of these items plus a few other nice extras (rail for mounting red dot and oversized bolt release button) come stock on the A300.

I Cannot go the Beretta 1301 route due to cost and I will not be shooting this specific shotgun in competition, therefore I am seriously looking at the Beretta A300 as my next purchase.

ALSO - Because it is getting close to deer hunting season the availability of 00 buckshot has been limited but I continue to watch on line and check my local stores for different brands with plans on having at least 10-15 rounds of four or five different brands on hand to pattern once I get my home defense semi-auto shotgun. Once I determine what load patterns best, I will plan to buy what I can when I see it available until I get at least 50-100 rounds in my inventory….

Posts: 3319 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dented:
The next addition is a semi auto shotgun. All of that being stated, can someone provide basic setup for the shotgun? Why a sling?

I would assume, thinking about the sling on my AR, so you have the ability to gain use of your hands without having to put the shotgun down, you drop to the sling & have hand use, and regain the shotgun quickly.

With my AR, I can drop it & it'll rest muzzle down with the sling across the chest, also drops to straddle a holster, so both the rifle & handgun are accessible with the strong hand.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

And... do pattern your shotguns at home defense distances with your selected home defense buckshot loads.

5 yds, 9 pellet OOBuck, Mossberg Maverick 18” cyl barrel

You definitely have to aim

I have been loading 00Buck in short shells and playing with them and reduced recoil slugs.

And I’ve started writing on the target, cause I forget what is what when I get home.

Today I took 5 shots at the head with slugs and all were on it at 20 yds. And the target says 5 in the center it was actually 8

The black center is 4”x4”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike - Thanks for posting the pictures. I reload centerfire ammo, I never bought a shot shell reloaded, though many times I seriously considered it (that 20/20 hindsight thing).

I am in the process now of purchasing 4-5 different makes of buckshot with the Federal Flight Control shells in transit now. Having watched 20-30 videos on buckshot patterning upon arrival of the Flight Control rounds my plan is to head to the range with several different choke tubes to start my research.

I will do it all over again once I get my Benelli M2 (or maybe a Beretta A300 instead). Have to manage that discussion carefully since my wife and son have already started planning for the purchase of the M2 as my Birthday and Christmas present this year.

Pictures will be forthcoming once I get the shells and make it to the range. Thanks also for the dummy rounds - Wife and I have already been practicing with them in the Nova. Mark

Posts: 3319 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I shoot HD shotguns more than a sane person should. From my experience and plenty of classes, this is what works and what doesn't.

Sling - Not a good idea. If you keep your shotgun in the corner of a closet, it can hang up on things getting it out. If you need to move through your house, around corners and other movements, the sling catches on doorknobs/handles, countertops and dresser corners too. If you need to pick up a kid with one hand and holding the shotgun with the other and moving, the sling swings and the kid might also move it and it catches things.

Ammo - Up to around 7 yds the ammo doesn't matter. Beyond that out to around 35 yds there is single answer - Federal FliteControl 132-00 9 pellet. 8 pellet works too. It will make a fist sized group at 7 yds and still very tight groups out to 30 or so yds.

Patterning - It's vital. I shot some Rem LE ammo with buffered buckshot at 25 yards and it made a circle about 30 inches in diameter. Safest place to be was behind the target. You have to pattern.

Misc - Consider a XS Big Dot over the front sight bead. It makes a big difference. JB Weld will hold it on. Mag extension is nice. I like Vang because they are one piece units with nothing to break. Side Saddle from Mesa is a solid product. I don't like the 8 round models because it's a heavy weight and 4 shot only helps a little. 6 rounds is my sweet spot with 3 rounds being slugs. That gives me 9 rounds of buck and 3 slugs.

Posts: 4243 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
While most of what you said makes sense, what you say about a sling seems to be more about improper use of a sling.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
While most of what you said makes sense, what you say about a sling seems to be more about improper use of a sling.

In theory it is but most often, people have a two point sling and it's of little value. It just hangs when people move. They use come from when you have to sling the gun to transition to a pistol, climb or grab something that requires two hands. I have a set up for both a single point and two point attachment and I found that the single works better, except when it dangles and smacks you in the the nuthut when you move.

Posts: 4243 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have an XS front sight on mine. It’s BIGLY, it glows in the dark, and I too anchored it with JB Weld to fill in the tiny gap and hold it to the original sight.

I have a two point sling, but it’s taut and only would get used if I had to hike somewhere with it. I’m used to using it as we used the shotgun on boardings and a sling was needed for climbing and debarking a boat/ship.

I have ammo card Velcroed to the receiver and two others on my old body armor nearby.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a number of Shotguns, all 12ga. both pump and semi auto.
I had my choice years ago when I went to NRA LE instructor school for my Handgun/shotgun certification sponsored by the St Louis Police Dept.
I looked at all my choices and grabbed my old Winchester mdl 12.
My Grandfather bought it new in 1928, several years later he bought a matching 410 for my Mother. I have handled it since I was 5yrs old.

I found a 24"barrel with a adjustable choke installed, sent it to Simmons and had them fit the barrel and add the serial number matching the receiver and the factory barrel.

It is my first line of home defense.
Absolute reliability for almost 100 years and I still get a smile on my face every time I pull the trigger and pump the next round in.

When it HAS to go BOOM, the Winchester mdl. 12 will.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Dented - I too have been following XLT’s thread on the 1301 which made me go to YouTube to watch shotgun compassions. I am now torn between the Benelli M2 vs. the Beretta A300.

Price to price on the Beretta A300 vs. Benelli M2 is almost the same but in order to have the added capacity on the M2, the tube extension, nut, and barrel clam will cost me over $100 extra where as all of these items plus a few other nice extras (rail for mounting red dot and oversized bolt release button) come stock on the A300.

I Cannot go the Beretta 1301 route due to cost and I will not be shooting this specific shotgun in competition, therefore I am seriously looking at the Beretta A300 as my next purchase.

ALSO - Because it is getting close to deer hunting season the availability of 00 buckshot has been limited but I continue to watch on line and check my local stores for different brands with plans on having at least 10-15 rounds of four or five different brands on hand to pattern once I get my home defense semi-auto shotgun. Once I determine what load patterns best, I will plan to buy what I can when I see it available until I get at least 50-100 rounds in my inventory….

https://palmettostatearmory.co...shot-250-rounds.html

Posts: 7863 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ronin - Thank you Sir for this link. OO Buckshot for just over $0.50 a round is a crazy great price. Mark

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Ronin - Thank you Sir for this link. OO Buckshot for just over $0.50 a round is a crazy great price. Mark

I thought it is a good deal considering the cost of other brands. I bought a case

Posts: 7863 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many forum friends took the time to share your thoughts and recommendations - AND I LISTENED.

As a result of your comments and recommendations my wife and son told me to find the model Benelli M2 that I wanted for Christmas so the hunt began 4+ weeks ago and below is the result. The photos reflect several add on items that I pre-purchased (Nordic mag tube extension and clamp and the ESSTAC Velcro saddle that SigM4 recommended). It also shows the Training/Dummy rounds that forum member MikeinNC kindly sent to me for our (wife and my) dry fire training sessions.

I was fortunate to get this NIB shotgun for $816.00 (after shipping and taxes the final “bring it home” price was $913 before the aforementioned add-on items). Now the home training begins and then we will be off to the range for live fire training and patterning several different factory buckshot and slug loads.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread, helping me better understand so many variables. The Mossberg 930 JM I started this journey with is now in the hands of a new very excited owner because I passed that shotgun on for what I had in it (because I received a great deal from a forum member on this shotgun).

The great news is when Ms. Sig used to dove hunt with me, she shot a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga. which we still have today so she has some prior handling/use of a semi-auto shotgun. Short cycle concerns are now in our rear view mirror and the home and range training begins.

One funny thing - My wife thought I was crazy for putting a huge piece of Velcro on the side of this new shotgun until I grabbed a six shell saddle and slapped it on the side. The light came on and she said - Now that is freaking cool. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
That’s a good looking setup.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Looks fantastic! You got a great deal on that.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2058 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post