SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    **11/17/23 UPDATE** Page 3 (Benelli M2) with photos - Home Defense Shotguns - My (our) new intimate relationship begins
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**11/17/23 UPDATE** Page 3 (Benelli M2) with photos - Home Defense Shotguns - My (our) new intimate relationship begins Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well life (and my wife and two sons) are great.

Wife just told me that she and my two sons are going to buy me (us) a Benelli M2 for Christmas this year so for now the Mossberg 930 will go into the vault for one of my six grandkids to receive at some point in the future for bird hunting and the Tactical Nova will continue to be used until the M2 is purchased and we spend some time learning it and shooting it (4-5 range trips and a lot of back yard snap cap practice). One key point we will practice a lot is the processes for clearing a jam or a non-fired round. Wife only asked for one thing on the M2 - she wants the one with the pistol grip for extra stability.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and suggestions. Needless to say having handled a Tactical M2 in the past, to say I am excited about this future purchase is an understatement…….

As many here thought about but my oldest son said to me when I told him about the new 930 and the possible concerns mentioned here - “If the time ever comes that mom or you have to rely on a shotgun to protect or save your lives - $425.00 (this 930 price) vs. $1100.00 (estimated price for a M2 Tactical) is NOT part of the equation - period”. He went on to say he would love to “inherent” the 930 whenever I am ready to pass it down and since he is leading this Christmas purchase. I am betting he may receive the 930 sometime next year to use in his family of five when that time comes….He shoots a Benelli SBE and his wife shoots a Benelli 20ga Montefeltro when they bird hunt - and both of their Benelli’s were Birthday gifts from Ms.Sigarmsp226 and me in years past….

Posts: 3319 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The operating under pressure sequence is simpler with an M2 (extended magazine tubes):
Point shotgun, release safety, pull trigger 8 times.

With pumpgun :
Point shotgun, release safety,
pull trigger, pump without short-shucking,
pull trigger, pump without short-shucking.

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, much simpler- no short-stroking, but if you leave a chambered in a shotgun, there is danger in that, manual safety or no. If you had, say, a lever action rifle, would you chamber a round and then leave the hammer cocked? Of course not, but you can't lower the hammer on a modern shotgun. This has to be taken into consideration.

I no longer keep a shotgun for home defense, but my ever-reliable Benelli M1 Super 90 would still fill the bill.

[

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para - Short stroking our current Benelli Nova has occurred two times - once each on the last two range trips when my wife was practicing and one time she also forgot to pump the shotgun and tried to fire the shotgun with a spent shell in the chamber.

This is exactly why I have thought about this issue so much and she even mentioned that a semi-auto like her Browning Sweet 16 she used to shoot when we both dove hunted together.

This is why I am considering a semi-auto shotgun for this situation. We also have our P226 9mm at the bedside that she knows how to handle and shoot but living on 4 acres in the county lends itself to having a shotgun close as hand.

Thanks for your comments and points on advantages/disadvantages of both types. Mark

Posts: 3319 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok guys - Thinking out loud here and thinking about Para and Richard’s comments above.

Whatever we do we (wife and I) will practice this a lot. Would one option on a semi-auto shotgun be to have a shotgun chamber flag in the gun and if/when we have to grab it for potential use we remove the chamber flag while bolting the bolt to the rear position to load a round. I agree that having a round in the chamber in a semi-auto shotgun is not ideal……

Thoughts on the best way to manage this. Whatever we decide to do we will practice and practice and practice it in low light and flashlight light senarios.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Supplementing the long gun with a handgun also has advantages for home defense. The handgun can be deployed quietly, and my feeling is that in many situations, this can be a distinct advantage. Also, the handgun can be wielded with one hand, which means the other hand is free for the cellphone (calling 911), opening door knobs- any number of things.

I keep an AR15 at the ready for HD but, again, a round must be chambered to make the rifle ready, and this makes noise. A loaded handgun is ready to go, quietly as a mouse pissing on cotton. If you see someone outside your house while you are inside, the noise of chambering a round or a shell will be of no consequence, but if someone is in your house, there is unquestionable advantage to not revealing your position until necessary.

So, not long gun or handgun, but rather, long gun and handgun. Of course, all of you know this, but I am approaching this from the novice point of view.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:

Thoughts on the best way to manage this. Whatever we decide to do we will practice and practice and practice it in low light and flashlight light senarios.

And... do pattern your shotguns at home defense distances with your selected home defense buckshot loads.

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I guess I would second (third? fourth?) the position on the Benelli M2. I went the Beretta LTT route, but its a lot more than an M2 money and if you like your Nova you will love the Benelli.

I guess what I would day though is that you might want to consider either a PCC or an AR (or other .223 equivalent) as an option in conjunction with the handgun. They are a lot easier to shoot one handed, especially if slung, can get off a lot of shots faster with less recoil and can be just as lethal.

Just a option if wanting to consider something other than the M2.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2058 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Fwiw I have never short stroked a pump shotgun 870, 500,590, BPS and several other in close to 40 years of shooting shotguns.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're not an inexperienced female shooter. Notice that the man also mentioned that she once forgot to pump the shotgun at all, and that was on a shooting range. Do you think the stress of an actual shooting situation might increase the possibility of this?

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
In my opinion. Going to a semi auto is not going to fix either being inexperienced or being a female shooter.

If anyone is going to be able to handle a stressful self defense situation you need to practice. A pump shotgun imho opinion is about as easy of a manual of arms as there is.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Going to a semi auto is not going to fix either being inexperienced or being a female shooter.

Is "being a female shooter" something that needs to be fixed? Confused

I'm picking at you, orc -- I understand the intent of your statement, and I don't disagree at all that practice is key. I've been trying to increase the amount of time The Lovely Girlfriend gets behind a shotgun, and we're starting with a pump gun. It's too early to introduce stress into this [very] informal training, but snap caps and some space in the garage make for some easy "pull it all the the way back, shove it all the way forward, squeeze the trigger" time.

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
In my opinion.
Yes, and I take it as such, and I note your discounting of the practical reality of the matter, which is that there are many people in this world who have no interest in firearms and who are of small stature, and who- hold on to your hat now, because this is a shocking surprise- will never, ever train in any meaningful way. And to top all of that off- they have the same need and the same right as everyone else to defend themselves- meaning no penalty should be assessed to them because they don't show a desire to practice with tools they do not care for and will likely never need, no matter what people may think or say about that.

Once a round is chambered, pulling a trigger, instead of the necessary coordination of two hands to cock and fire- and the possibility of short-stroking or forgetting under stress to cock at all- the choice is clear, and your 40 years of yadda yadda mean zilch when you factor in all of the above.

I suppose you would choose a manual transmission over an automatic transmission for an inexperienced driver because you have never had any problems with a stick.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a couple Mossberg pumps and really like them.
I have heard and handled the superNova. Liked it and would have one no issue it I felt I needed another shotty.

I scratch my head when people talk about moving to a semi auto from a pump for a HD weapon. To me a pump is so intuitive that in a stressful situation firing and rechambering for another shot should happen without a thought. I am guessing this is more because of the thought that a spouse would have an issue with a pump under stress. Again, I get it, sort of.

Btw, I am a huge fan of a shotgun for primary HD.

I like a semi auto. Less recoil. Kind of hard to pump a shotgun if one hand is incapacitated. it can be done but takes time and space from an intruder.

Posts: 21406 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Ok, I shoot shotguns a bunch. Semi-auto, O/U, and pumps. I shoot sporting clays pretty often and I’m an avid bird hunter running somewhere around 4K-5k shells a year. I have short stroked a pump while bird hunting and on a sporting clays course. It happens when you’re trying to be quick. As stated earlier, I have 3 defensive shotguns, 2 semis and a pump. The pump served as a long gun backup to a pistol for years. I have a rifle set up in that role as of 2020. I think if I was placing a gun in that role today it would be my Benelli M4, which is something I’m considering. Our personal home safety plan is to retreat to a defensive position in our house and wait for the police to arrive. Everything is done and planned in layers. If I have a long gun in my hands I’m sure there is a threat and we are prepared to stand our ground.

Posts: 3021 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread on an important topic, Gentlemen. It's great to see all this wisdom in one place. Like Para, I don't use a shotgun as my primary weapon for home defense, but I do have a Beretta 1301 with extended magazine, Surefire x300 Ultra light, and Aimpoint T2 red dot optic set up for this purpose as a backup.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fwiw I have never short stroked a pump shotgun 870, 500,590, BPS and several other in close to 40 years of shooting shotguns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puwoUKhZQbg

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
IMO anyone who is retired and planning on using a Shotgun for Home Defense should really start shooting the Shotgun Sports. Specifically start shooting at little orange disks moving at anywhere from 15 to 80 MPH. Because Shotguns are intended to be a Point Shooting weapon. The shotgun Sports all teach you how to Point Shoot well. In addition once you start hitting it can be a lot of fun.

Bingo right there. Scooter is 100% right. This is the most important aspect of self training on a shotty for hitting ANYTHING. If this doesn't make sense, do a little research about how one hits anything with a shotty. The first clue: your eye IS the rear sight, your visual concentration IS the front sight, your body is the turret, and your unconscious BRAIN is the targeting system. Your arms and hands aren't really in the equation. This stuff is NOT the way of the handgun or the rifle.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
IMO anyone who is retired and planning on using a Shotgun for Home Defense should really start shooting the Shotgun Sports. Specifically start shooting at little orange disks moving at anywhere from 15 to 80 MPH. Because Shotguns are intended to be a Point Shooting weapon. The shotgun Sports all teach you how to Point Shoot well. In addition once you start hitting it can be a lot of fun.

Bingo right there. Scooter is 100% right. This is the most important aspect of self training on a shotty for hitting ANYTHING. If this doesn't make sense, do a little research about how one hits anything with a shotty. The first clue: your eye IS the rear sight, your visual concentration IS the front sight, your body is the turret, and your unconscious BRAIN is the targeting system. Your arms and hands aren't really in the equation. This stuff is NOT the way of the handgun or the rifle.

Disagree actually. While shotgun sports are great fun and certainly helpful to bird hunters, a shotgun in the home defense role is aimed and directed exactly the same way as a rifle. In reality from a defensive point of view it is a 75 caliber rifle. Most home defense guns will have open rifle style or ghost ring type peep sights, or as we speed through the 21st century some sort of red dot, again employed the same was a rifle is.

Posts: 3368 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I prefer an AR With a light for HD. Then a hi cap handgun with a light.

If I were to use a shotgun it would be a Remington or Mossberg pump.

I I were to use a semi auto shotgun, it would be a benelli or Beretta.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8001 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post