SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "The Army just got closer to ditching the M4 and SAW for a ‘next-generation’ weapon"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Army just got closer to ditching the M4 and SAW for a ‘next-generation’ weapon" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It will be interesting to see if this project finally results in a durable and reliable caseless cartridge. Textron seems pretty confident at this point, but they’re not the first to have made the attempt.

They're a Daisy if they do!

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the SIG rifle a gas piston design? I could not tell.

Posts: 548 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Surprised that (evidently that I can find) no one else has posted this yet. Was it announced before and I missed or forgot it? The last I recall it was still up in the air. This article is dated today:

“Army chooses Sig Sauer to build its Next Generation Squad Weapon”

https://www.armytimes.com/news...tm_campaign=army-dnr

Somewhat more information, especially about the cartridge here:

https://taskandpurpose.com/mil...ration-squad-weapon/

Better picture of the XM250 machine gun replacement:

https://www.defensedaily.com/s...-squad-weapons/army/

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 6.8 x 51 sounds very interesting. 80,000 psi is a lot, but Sig states 12,000 rounds before having the replace the barrel.

Has there been any word on whether the ammo will be available to the general public. Probably no dimensions on the round have been published. I am guessing 3,500 fps and 120 grain weight. Would be very lethal on persons or game.
----
More info: 277 Sig Fury is the commercial version of the ammo. Rifle will be available in 6.5 Creedmoor and .308/7.62x51.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It will be interesting to see if this project finally results in a durable and reliable caseless cartridge. Textron seems pretty confident at this point, but they’re not the first to have made the attempt.

Step 1: develop caseless ammo to reduce weight.

Step 2: develop heavy, water jacket system to absorb heat from barrel that was once sunk into brass cases.

Step 3: profit off of that sweet DOD cheddar.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
So a 20 or 25 round mag capacity?

Looks interesting.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post