SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Favorite Cantilever throw-lever mount?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Cantilever throw-lever mount? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I already have an American Defense AD-RECON-30 mount, but I'm looking to mount another scope. Is there anything better, or should I just go with another one of the same mount I already have? 30mm tube.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry it matters, to mount what on what?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
20" AR, free floated heavy barrel. Leupold MK4 ER/T 4.5-14x50

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
American Defense AD-RECON-30

In the scheme of things personally I don't see much need for QD on this kind of situation and so prefer the Geissle version.
And if I would prefer QD I think the Bobro QD is way better than the AD one. And the mount itself is higher quality but more money.
You can look at those as options to consider.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
... if I would prefer QD I think the Bobro QD is way better than the AD one.
That's what I went with for my needs: Economical Picatinny QD Mount For 1 in. Rifle Scope?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll look into the Bobro or the Geissele.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
GG&G
Warne
LaRue
Vortex
Burris
Vortex
JP

Nightforce mounts and removes quickly with an inexpensive torque wrench. And this is fast enough for the vast majority of users. IMO lever mounts are overrated.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with fritz; levers are typically unnecessary. The added bulk and snag hazard isn't worth the "perk" of "QD" functionality. Keep relevant tools in your range bag and/or kit. My favorite general-purpose optic (Elcan SpecterDR) only comes with QD levers, and I wish it didn't.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yep, depends on your use. I have a 6.5 Grendel upper that's used for hunting. American Defense QD mount that has only been off once in 8 years, when I changed upper receivers on the upper.

Conversely, I have a LaRue on my optics match rifle that the scope has come off every single time I use it for the last 15 years. Threw it on last week because I thought I was going to get to go coyote hunting with it. 200 yard zero was dead on. I really didn't need to test it, I learned to trust it long ago, but figured why not.

I can't say I've experienced any snagging issues, the levers tuck in tight. I HAVE had that happen with the big ol' cool tactical over sized "heavy duty" knobs/nuts some makers feel the need to put on the non QD ones.
(but again, not really a big deal)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I should have just asked which mounts to stay away from. Smile I like the WARNE offering as well as the GGG. Warne is about a 20 minute drive for me, so maybe I should look there.

posted Hide Post
It bothers me to argue with fritz as he is my normal goto guy on much of this. But from personal experience I can say that the GG&G and Burris are not particularly high quality and I wouldn't recommend them. The Larue is fine and I have used both versions for quite awhile but have no experience on the new tooless version but the bobro QD is way better IMO.
But as I said above ditch the QD idea.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
But from personal experience I can say that the GG&G and Burris are not particularly high quality and I wouldn't recommend them.

My experience with Burris is only with demo rifles -- no long term use. Burris products to tend to be lower on the totem pole.

I have personal history with GG&G, owning four of their QD units. First one was probably purchased in 2008 or 2009 -- still on the same 24" AR15, I think the second scope. Currently NF 3.5-15x F1 NXS. My GG&G mounts are all 30mm tube size, so they are generally with older optics.

#2 has bounced between a few ARs, currently on a 16" AR15, also with a NF 3.5-15x F1 NXS. This one shows some heavy use in 2-rifle competitions. The Thunderbeast suppressor that I won in competition with this rifle should be get out of jail any time now.

#3 is now on an 11" 300 blackout, with a NF 1-8x NX8. This mount has been on a few rifles, remounted quite a few times, still doing its job.

#4 is on an 8" AR9 (9mm SBR) with a Vortex 1-4x Viper. I've shot this SBR in the "Sigforum Postal Match" thread. Picture on page 13, results on subsequent pages. IMO the Appleseed target on page 18 shows that it is up to the task.

Twice I've been concerned that the GG&G mounts weren't doing their jobs -- that zeros were wandering. #1 occurred as I shot out my first AR15 barrel. I thought the accuracy issues might be the mount, but the barrel was toast. #2 ultimately was a problem with my inconsistent cheek welds with Magpul UBR stocks. Ditched the stock and my zero was again stable.

Now I don't put GG&G mounts in the same league as my my Nightforce and JP models, but they've worked for me.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Burris P.E.P.R. I forgot all about it until I went looking at old photos trying to date the AmD mount. It was functional, but I guess felt kind of cheap. (of course that's comparing them to things costing several times as much, so in that way YES it was) I don't think I'd put one on say a match rifle that's going to see tons of rounds and hard use, I wouldn't want to take one into battle, but for general occasional recreational shooting it's far from the worst thing on the market.

I forgot all about this mount and this scope I owned briefly. (Wish I still had it, I'm looking for something affordable to put on a rifle I'm giving away.) I put an old K-dot on it and needed a 30mm mount and went to the AmD. I remembered changing the upper receiver. Forgot I changed the scope, the mount AND the barrel at some point after this photo.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Favorite: Bobro
Best Value: American Defense
Least Favorite: Larue

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
American Defense are solid, and Geissele are my top choices.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
As far as QD or not I don't mind either one.
For non QD I like ones that don't have large thumb screws, looks much cleaner without those knobs sticking out.

I have a couple of ADM mounts that are nice, you about need three hands to hold the clam shells, scope and install the screws though.

I've been looking at 34mm 1.93" mounts and while a Spuhr would be really slick, at $400 I'm gonna have to pass on that one.
I went with a Midwest Industries mount, not terribly expensive, not too heavy and seems solid.

Primary Arms has a decent selection of mounts at the moment.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good answers so far.

ADM, Bobro, and Geissele are all good. Unity and Scalarworks,too. Midwest and Warne if you're on more of a budget.

I really like some of the stuff Scalarworks has done that makes their LEAP mount pretty foolproof although you're not the guy that's going to mess it up.

Edit to remove Scalarworks...not throw lever.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DaBigBR,

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Go with LaRue. Spendy, but worth it...top notch no issues.

Wes

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Just a quick crappy pic because the oppertunity presented itself, reference the QD levers being a snag hazard. It's kind of a silly idea, on the AmD mount especially. They tuck in tight and are both locked. So even if something did manage to get in behind them, they're not opening. The older LaRue design does present more of a theoretical snag hazard, sticking out farther and only the rear lever is locking. Of course the scope turret, cat-tail and over sized charging handle on the match rifle all stick out much farther than the levers do.

posted Hide Post
I like Scalarworks for everything on my AR's. The QD ratcheting dial is fine, and it doesn't stick out, plus the mounts are very light, and very high quality.

I also have ADM Red Dot mounts on my 10/22's - a low mount on a Takedown Backpacker rifle and a HK/Vltor height one on a Charger in an Odin chassis with an SB 1913 brace.

The Charger needed an odd height - AR absolute was too tall, and low was too low. The HK 416-ish height was best and ADM makes one that isn't too pricey. I like the ADM levers better than LaRue.

But I would also be OK with Geissele or Nighforce mounts that use the 65 in-lb nuts. I have a pre-set T-handle torque driver for those now, so it's pretty easy to remove/reinstall.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post