SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Question about a scope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Question about a scope Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
Leupold VX Freedom (I gather this is a lower-end model), 3-9X40, came with a rifle/scope package. Designed and assembled in the US, but parts origin is not specified.



The elevation adjustment is fine, turning with normal effort and clicks that can be both heard and felt. But the windage adjustment is weird. Besides the odd marking, it turns hard and feels like against a clock spring no matter which direction. To get the adjustment where I want it, it actually has to be turned slightly past the desired position so it springs back. Is this normal? It caused no serious problem with getting a zero.
 
Posts: 32047 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
But the windage adjustment is weird... To get the adjustment where I want it, it actually has to be turned slightly past the desired position so it springs back. Is this normal? It caused no serious problem with getting a zero.

It's known as turret lash, and was common with Leupold scopes for years. I had two Mark IVs with this design/manufacturing problem -- and was one of the reasons I got rid of Leupold. Leaving the turrets dialed to one setting is the best way with scopes such as this.

Otherwise, just get used to dialing past the desired setting a couple of clicks, then come back to the desired setting.
 
Posts: 8494 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
It's okay for a hunting scope that is set once and left forever. I had one on one of my Vintage Sniper rifles and quickly sold it due to the difficulty and mushy feeling of the Leupold knobs. I went with the Trijicon Huron scope instead.

That being said, if I needed one for a hunting rifle, it would have stayed. As it is, I have plenty of better scopes.

Tony.


Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
 
Posts: 6035 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
These are the kind of real people, real experience answers you can't get from AI. Smile There are still things one must try for oneself, however.
quote:
Trijicon Huron scope

Surprisingly for Trijicon, relatively affordable for my budget. Might happen some day.

Partly because of this issue and based on prior experience with the brand, I replaced it with a Sightron 4-12x40, with an external parallax adjustment, even. (I don't really need this capability under current circumstances, but they may change, and besides, why not?) In the same roughly mid-$200s price range, it also has a clearer image than this or a Vortex Diamondback (no longer have, long story).
 
Posts: 32047 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'd send it to Leupold.. They have a lifetime warranty that transfers with the scope regardless if you bought it new or 2nd hand. You never know they might just send you a brand new, current model scope as a replacement. At the very least, I'm sure they'll fix or upgrade the turret.

.
 
Posts: 2778 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think Leupold will fix the turret lash problem, as it has existed for many models for many years. You might get it replaced with a newer model, however that would depends on Leupold's decision that years of turret lash was a problem.
 
Posts: 8494 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I agree, send it back to Leupold. They'll go over it.
 
Posts: 969 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Question about a scope

© SIGforum 2026