SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bolt action rifle and scope combo ** 0 choices now**
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt action rifle and scope combo ** 0 choices now** Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
With spring coming around I'm getting the itch to buy a new gun. This would be used 90% of the time as a range toy but being able to lug it around on a once-every-few-years-hunt would be a nice feature. My local range goes to 200m and there are some 700yd ones within a few hours drive. Right now I'm thinking of a Begara B-14HMR in 308 with Nightforce scope mainly because I don't have either of those. I have the obligatory AR, a .243 bolt action, and a few .22s and even a BB gun so it's easier to rationalize a 30 caliber rifle. The Wizard In Finances & Expenditures has authorized a rough budget of $3k so that should probably be my cap. I have started compiling the tools to reload so that is an option for any suggestions for more uncommon rounds. That's all that I know. Just curious what 30 caliber (+/-) gun others would buy if you were me.

UPDATE:
We are down to three options:

1) Tikka T3x CTR w/ Nightforce NX8 4-32 (This is my budget failure option.)
2) Tikka T3x UPR w/ Bushnell XTR III 3.3-18 (This is my fiscally responsible adult option.)
3) Tilka T3x CTR w/ Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18 (This is my middle of the road cost option.)

The Winner is the budget failure option. Since I can't take the cash with me when I die I went with the CTR topped with the Nightforce. Aaaannnndd due to a distinct lack of .308s on the shelves and after I finally started listening to everyone on the internet I went with 6.5 Creedmoor. One day I'll have a .30 caliber but this rifle isn't it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CEShooter,

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i would buy Tikka over Begara. I would also buy a Magnum caliber. 7mmRM, .300WSM are two of my favorites. A nightforce is not what I would call a hunting scope. Maybe spend the big bucks on S&B optic. That should be an outstanding set up.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'll 2nd the Tikka suggestion.
No experience with Bergara but love my T3x.
Mine's a T3x Lite Stainless in 270WIN.

First time out, at 100yds, managed 5 shots in 3 holes with a bit over 1" spread.

Similar experience at 200yds, nice groups under 2", which is the farthest I've shot it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be nice to discuss what caliber is needed for this "hunt"?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Be nice to discuss what caliber is needed for this "hunt"?

I don't really have any particular game in mind, it's more if I stumbled upon an opportunity to chase larger N. American game that my .243 wouldn't work for then I would have a rifle that I could use. I'm only a hunter in the most technical use of the word in that once every few years I will go hunt something. In the past with rifles it's been coyotes and deer.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Much of the time a 308 is a great choice, then you mentioned wanting a 30 cal.

Yes, type of hunting could matter, though this is mostly for the range. I’m not keen on taking a heavy & long barreled rifle out hunting, walking a fair bit. Then back at the range, no reason for more recoiled than needed.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
both the Tikka and Begara are great rifles

the B-14 HMR is a fantastic rifle, I've sold a pile of them with 0 complaints from customers,

may be a big heavy for a walkabout type hunt, however those I sold them to were more of the entry level Long Range type,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Upgrade the man card.

30-06 pre 64 Model 70.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you will be hunting once every few years, range time probably won't be 90% -- it might be more like 99-plus-percent.

How much target shooting do you intend to do? Frequency and number of rounds per session. Do you expect to produce really tight groups on your targets, or is just sorta close to the point of aim OK?

What might you consider big game in NA? Small black bear, that might top out at 200 pounds. Big black bear, the 400-plus-pounders that have pig-like diets. Elk, moose. The smaller inland grizzly bears, or the larger coastal grizzlies that gorge on fish. There's substantial difference in the size of these animals and the more appropriate calibers.

Calibers for the truly big game will not be fun to shoot during extended paper/steel target sessions. Recoil will be punishing, and you may even develop bad shooting habits. Lighter recoiling calibers are easier to punch holes in paper, but might have limited effect on a big bear.

Bergara seems like a nice rifle. At this price range, Tikka is a good option, too. Depending on rifle price, sling, magazines, rings, and whatever else -- you'll have less than $2,000 available for the scope. Probably more along the lines of $1600 to $1800. Many respectable scopes are available in this price range. Nightforce makes good range and hunting scopes, but you will be quite limited on NF options in this price range. Same for other premium optics brands. Carefully consider your desired magnification range and your preferred reticle type. Reticles optimized for target practice may not be the best for hunting, and vice versa.

On the caliber side of things, 308 works for both target and medium NA game. Not really a big game caliber. Not the best for truly high-volume target shooting. Although getting a bit long in the tooth, 308 is a reasonable compromise for dual roles.

30-cal magnums aren't fun for extended target practice, especially at the short distances you listed. Bergara is available in 300 WM and 300 PRC. If you truly want kinetic energy on the animal or the ability to shoot targets beyond a mile, 300 PRC is hands down better at the task than 300 WM. Tikka's website shows options of 300 WM and 300 WSM.

IMO you need to better define your rifle use. Form follows function.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
If you will be hunting once every few years, range time probably won't be 90% -- it might be more like 99-plus-percent.

How much target shooting do you intend to do? Frequency and number of rounds per session. Do you expect to produce really tight groups on your targets, or is just sorta close to the point of aim OK?

What might you consider big game in NA? Small black bear, that might top out at 200 pounds. Big black bear, the 400-plus-pounders that have pig-like diets. Elk, moose. The smaller inland grizzly bears, or the larger coastal grizzlies that gorge on fish. There's substantial difference in the size of these animals and the more appropriate calibers.

Calibers for the truly big game will not be fun to shoot during extended paper/steel target sessions. Recoil will be punishing, and you may even develop bad shooting habits. Lighter recoiling calibers are easier to punch holes in paper, but might have limited effect on a big bear.

Bergara seems like a nice rifle. At this price range, Tikka is a good option, too. Depending on rifle price, sling, magazines, rings, and whatever else -- you'll have less than $2,000 available for the scope. Probably more along the lines of $1600 to $1800. Many respectable scopes are available in this price range. Nightforce makes good range and hunting scopes, but you will be quite limited on NF options in this price range. Same for other premium optics brands. Carefully consider your desired magnification range and your preferred reticle type. Reticles optimized for target practice may not be the best for hunting, and vice versa.

On the caliber side of things, 308 works for both target and medium NA game. Not really a big game caliber. Not the best for truly high-volume target shooting. Although getting a bit long in the tooth, 308 is a reasonable compromise for dual roles.

30-cal magnums aren't fun for extended target practice, especially at the short distances you listed. Bergara is available in 300 WM and 300 PRC. If you truly want kinetic energy on the animal or the ability to shoot targets beyond a mile, 300 PRC is hands down better at the task than 300 WM. Tikka's website shows options of 300 WM and 300 WSM.

IMO you need to better define your rifle use. Form follows function.

1) The frequency would probably be 1 time a month during the summer. I'd like to go more but until the kids go to graduate high school in a few years my free time on the weekends is a bit limited. The number of rounds a session would be an average of 100 right now. I would like to shoot more but again, the whole time thing.

2) A moose would probably be the biggest that I would realistically chase. The big game reason is somewhat of a rationalization to my self in that by all rational measures, I don't NEED another rifle, but if I get one in a larger caliber than what I have now then I can say I'm filling a void in the safe and that there is some utilization there. (It would probably help if I just convinced myself that I've worked hard to have disposable income so just dispose of it as I wish but that's a post for another day. Roll Eyes)

3) My .243 is a Tikka and I've bene pretty happy with it so far. On paper the NX-8 seems to be a decent contender but I haven't been able to look through one in real life yet. Plus my knowledge of what is out there for scopes is pretty limited.

I agree that form follows function and that's probably my problem in that I know that I feel like buying a new gun but after that I don't have any hard and fast boxes to check, I just want a new toy to play with. I may have more of a "money is burning a hole in my pocket" problem than anything.

---------------

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I shoot center fire rifles quite a bit. I have never shot 100 rds through one in a single session, never.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:
The number of rounds a session would be an average of 100 right now. I would like to shoot more but again, the whole time thing.

100 rounds of 22lr is a nice easy day. One can shoot a lot more than that.

100 rounds of 223 is no big deal. Probably close to a normal day of AR15 training for me. 200-300 rounds isn't all that difficult in a day, especially with some breaks here and there.

100 rounds of any centerfire chambering that won't fit in an AR15 is a big day of shooting. Well, maybe not all that bad for a 6BR, but pretty much everything else. Few shooters are willing to shoot at this level -- there's ammo cost, there's fatigue from just being behind a rifle, there's fatigue from recoil.

Large regional and national steel matches often require 100-120 rounds in a day, for 2 or 3 days. I've done this numerous times. I feel beat up at the end of the day, even with a suppressed, heavy 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. This is one of the reasons I had a 6 Creedmoor built last year, in order to reduce recoil.

I've shot 100 rounds a day for a 5-day course with a suppressed, heavy 308. It was brutal. My shoulders, back, and hips were sore. Many students dry fired some drills to avoid the pounding. 100 rounds in a day with a 308 -- especially a lighter rifle without a can or brake -- is a big day. I don't often shoot more than 60-80 rounds per day, when I'm training with my 308.

100 rounds with a 30-cal magnum can bruise the most manly of shoulders. This is why ELR matches have low round counts per day.

I lay odds you won't shoot 100 rounds a day with a rifle bigger than your 243.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:
The number of rounds a session would be an average of 100 right now. I would like to shoot more but again, the whole time thing.

100 rounds of 22lr is a nice easy day. One can shoot a lot more than that.

100 rounds of 223 is no big deal. Probably close to a normal day of AR15 training for me. 200-300 rounds isn't all that difficult in a day, especially with some breaks here and there.

100 rounds of any centerfire chambering that won't fit in an AR15 is a big day of shooting. Well, maybe not all that bad for a 6BR, but pretty much everything else. Few shooters are willing to shoot at this level -- there's ammo cost, there's fatigue from just being behind a rifle, there's fatigue from recoil.

Large regional and national steel matches often require 100-120 rounds in a day, for 2 or 3 days. I've done this numerous times. I feel beat up at the end of the day, even with a suppressed, heavy 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. This is one of the reasons I had a 6 Creedmoor built last year, in order to reduce recoil.

I've shot 100 rounds a day for a 5-day course with a suppressed, heavy 308. It was brutal. My shoulders, back, and hips were sore. Many students dry fired some drills to avoid the pounding. 100 rounds in a day with a 308 -- especially a lighter rifle without a can or brake -- is a big day. I don't often shoot more than 60-80 rounds per day, when I'm training with my 308.

100 rounds with a 30-cal magnum can bruise the most manly of shoulders. This is why ELR matches have low round counts per day.

I lay odds you won't shoot 100 rounds a day with a rifle bigger than your 243.

You and old rugged cross are correct in that I'm not shooting 100 rds of larger centerfire rounds in one trip. That 100 rds is typically a combo of .223 and .22 rounds and bolt action rounds. I misinterpreted the initial question.

---------------