SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Impulse buy...1942 Remington 1903A3 Sporter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impulse buy...1942 Remington 1903A3 Sporter Login/Join 
posted
I was at my LGS picking something up last Sunday. I told myself to go STRAIGHT to the counter...DO NOT....LOOK...AROUND....

Did I take my own advice....fuck no. I spotted a classic looking hunting rifle in the used case that was in immaculate condition. Not a scratch or scuff on it. Looked at the tag...."1903A3". Price - $369.

Hauled ass to the counter, asked an associate to see the rifle. Inspected everything for a few minutes. Asked him to get the paperwork.

Stock is an old Fajen. Someone had this professionally done, definitely not the work of Bubba. Bore is immaculate, appears to be 2-Groove. Serial number on the receiver is 502****. Scope isn't the greatest, but it's a 4-12x40mm Vortex with Vortex rings...so not the worst either. I tossed a level on the receiver and the scope was actually level...further confirming the previous owner was "smarter than the average bear".

Popped the bolt out, cleaned it, inspected it. Tested loading and feeding with dummy rounds. All checked good.

I have 200 rounds of Norma Whitetail on the way, looking forward to putting some rounds through it.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You stole that rifle!

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dayum, keep looking out the window for the cherries and berries. some one is going to be coming to find out when you are going to pay the rest of the ballance.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$369? I would have sprained my wrist pulling out my wallet.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
$369? I would have sprained my wrist pulling out my wallet.

True story!

When I was filling out the paperwork, they said they had just taken it in the day before. Luckily, I showed up bright and early to pick up another purchase.

I know Sporters aren't worth much, not earth shattering by any means...made my day though.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no, sporter or not, it looks to me like that was done properly. Have you pulled it from the stock? Is it properly bedded?

I am jealous.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats - smoking deal, especially this time of year. The scope and rings would have set you back at least a couple hundred. Beautiful example of a sporterized -03.

Posts: 264 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
no, sporter or not, it looks to me like that was done properly. Have you pulled it from the stock? Is it properly bedded?

I am jealous.

There is some bedding, not fully bedded. May have been to fill if excess material was removed. Checked the clearance of the barrel and forend before I bought it, no rubbing between the two.

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Old school cool. Beautiful rifle.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I think the sporterizing was well done.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would have went home with me too. My father has been shooting a sporterized 1903 since the mid-80’s. That rifle has taken coyote, bear, whitetail, and elk.

Posts: 225 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful! Excellent score! I wouldn't have been able to leave the shop without it at that price, either.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats! While it's unfortunate any of these ever got sporterized, I think the ones that did still deserve a little respect and enjoyment. That's a great price on a great rifle. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A well done basic sporterizing job.
Scope bolt handle, barrel cut off to remove front sight spline, scope safety, good blue job, milled 03 trigger guard.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Needs an older weaver or redfield on it Wink

Superb looking rifle.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Needs an older weaver or redfield on it Wink

Superb looking rifle.

Ironically enough, I've been looking at them the last two days.

Any specific models of either I should look for?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, a Weaver K4 or Lyman Alaskan would be pretty appropriate for the era.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyHorse5.0:

GAT?

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyHorse5.0:

GAT?