SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If one wanted to standardize the same sling on several 'practical' long guns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If one wanted to standardize the same sling on several 'practical' long guns? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Leave out the Perazzi trap guns, Anschutz smallbore match rifles, high country ultralight hunting rifles ...

But for the AR's, Mini-14's, home defense shotguns, pistol caliber carbines, and understudy/little brothers like M&P 15-22's, Ruger 10-22's, etc.,

Which specific practical sling would you suggest?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Blue Force Gear Vickers

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Blue Force Gear Vickers

Another vote for the Vickers. I have four of them on various guns from a 5" 9mm SBR to a 20" AR. I'll be ordering another one soon for an AK.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll agree that the Vickers is good. Definitely no pad for me though.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Blue Force Gear Vickers slings are what I have on all my modern rifles.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Blue Force Vickers sling is great, especially from a standpoint of low cost and low weight. I use them on my lighter carbines.

For a heavier rifle that is carried over long distances, the Carbine/Multi-Use sling from Rifles Only really stands out. This is what I use for competitions where I carry an AR for 1-5 hours, from walking to jogging, across variable terrain.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for BFG Vickers sling

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'll be the dissenter here: either the Ferro Concepts Slingster or the Haley Strategic.

The Vickers is too bulky and not as easy to manipulate the quick pull as either of the aforementioned slings compared to others. The Ferro Concepts is way better in this regard. The HSP also has the added bonus of being able to quickly convert from two point to single point, but it's slider isn't as quick to adjust as the Ferro Concepts.

PS: I do own some Vickers slings on various rifles and shotguns, but I'm transitioning away from them. I'll keep it on my Benelli, probably, because of the difficulty of attaching to the stock.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I have a Vickers sling but I have 6 Viking Tactics MK2's..by far my favorite sling. before you buy, check them out

VTAC MK2

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of BFG Vickers sling devotees
Smile

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overlooked and under appreciated but the old school m1907 leather sling. With proper practice can be used for carrying in multiple positions or used as the best marksmanship aid ever devised.
From what I can tell, the oldest item in us military inventory still in active combat use today 114 years after first adoption.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magpul MS4 QDM; Quick adjustments, quick disconnect, single point or dual point on the fly.

It has been my go to sling for years.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Blue Force Gear Vickers

[/THREAD]

Love mine on my AR

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had to redo it, BFG Vickers. (I've used VTAC for a long time so I haven't switched out from them.)

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep. Blue Force Gear Vickers slings are what I have on all my modern rifles.

Padded.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37080 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Magpul MS4 QDM; Quick adjustments, quick disconnect, single point or dual point on the fly.

It has been my go to sling for years.

Andrew

This. I have one on my AUG and am very impressed with the mounting system and quick adjust slider.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I have a couple of Magpul MS4 QDM Slings for everything stated above, but found the sling was digging into my neck/uncomfortable when wearing a Plate Carrier. I switched to the Magpul MS1 Padded Sling for Plate Carrier Duty and that worked much better for me, though I had to add the QD Adapter(s) separately to duplicate the all of the features of the MS4 QDM. I really like the way Magpul builds the 'padded' sling/webbing section and prefer it to the other padded premium slings on the market.

Sooo, I've standardized on Magpul and have multiples of the MS4 QDM and built up configurations of the MS1 Padded w/ the MS4 QDM features.

That said, another Sling to consider is the Savvy Sniper, which has a dedicated albeit smaller following. They offer a number of unique design variations and I kinda like their 'cuff style' adjustment slider design, though it 'could' be a potential snag point. Savvy Sniper also offers a number of options, including Cobra Buckle QD's, etc so you can build up your individual 'gucci style' sling configuration. I don't own one, but someday I might... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post