SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    US Army looking for new submachine gun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Army looking for new submachine gun Login/Join 
Picture of CHLP290
posted
I made a prediction when the US Army first issued the RFI for the replacement handgun that the Sig Sauer P320 would win the award. I wonder if I'll be right about this one as well.

The U.S. Army Is Testing 10 New Submachine Guns
One may go on to equip U.S. soldiers with the first sub-gun since World War II.

By Kyle Mizokami - Popular Mechanics

The Army has awarded contracts to ten companies to submit submachine guns for the service to evaluate. The service has not purchased a new submachine gun for more than seventy years, and is reportedly considering them for units tasked with protecting senior Army leaders.

The U.S. Army has awarded approximately $200,000 to ten companies for evaluation weapons under the Sub Compact Weapon (SCW) program. The service posted a Request for Information (RFI) in May 2018 for a SCW that will fire 9x19-millimeter (9mm Luger) ammunition, fire full automatic, and have a Picatinny rail for attaching lights and optics. The RFI also mentions the capability to mount a suppressor.

The ten companies awarded contracts are from the U.S. and Europe. Famous U.S. gunmaker Colt is the first on the list, with what is described as the Colt Modular 9mm Sub Compact Weapon. This is probably the Colt 9mm Submachine Gun. Other companies include the Central Missouri Machine Gun Company with their CMMG Ultra PDW, the Lewis Machine & Tool MARS L-9 Compact Suppressed Weapon, the Quarter Circle 10 LLC 5.5 CLT and 5.5 QV5 Sub Compact Weapon, the PTR Industries TR 9CS Sub Compact Weapon, and the Zenith Firearms Z-5RS, Z-5P and Z-5K Sub Compact Weapons.

European companies are also represented and include Sig Sauer and its MPX Sub Compact Weapon, the Beretta PMX Sub Compact Weapon, the CZ Scorpion EVO 3 A1 submachine gun, and B&T’s MP9 Machine Gun.

Some of the weapons, such as the Colt, CMMG, LMT, and Quarter Circle offerings are likely based on so-called short barrel AR15 “pistols” using the AR15/M16/M4 operating system. Their similarity to the M4 carbine in function could give them a leg up on the competition. Other guns are based on the famous Heckler and Koch MP-5 submachine gun, while still others such as the Sig Sauer MPX, CZ Scorpion, and MP9 are unique designs.

The U.S. Army has not fielded a new submachine gun since World War II. According to The Firearm Blog, one of the duties of the SCW would be to equip Army Personal Security Details, detachments of armed troops that protect senior army leaders and the headquarters of Army Brigade Combat Teams.

US Army Veteran
Proud NRA Member
Sig P229 40 Cal.
Sig P290RS 9mm
Sig P320C 40 Cal
Sig P365 9mm
Sig 516G2 Patrol
Sig 716G2 DMR
Sig MCX Virtus 300 BO
Benelli M4 Tactical Shotgun
Savage Axis II XP 30-06

Posts: 92 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: April 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What is your prediction?

It's funny, I thought the sub-gun was basically a dinosaur in the current surge of short shorter rifle carbines, AR-pistols, and personal defense cartridges in 5.56/.223. But don't get me wrong; I'd love to see resurgence of the SMG!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
An up dated Smith & Wesson M76 would be cool.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
...the Lewis Machine & Tool MARS L-9 Compact Suppressed Weapon...

I can't find any info specific to the rifle listed above, but I want one. I LOVE my 10.5" MRP. A 9mm companion would be awesome.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a SMG-guy but this is a solid option I would thinK:

CZ Scorpion EVO 3 A1 submachine gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0NaHBKE6pA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL0wv-dV5Do

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Wish I had a dime for every dollar they will spend on the testing alone.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
No H&K or B&T/Sphinx?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I hope CZ takes it

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3584 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
No H&K or B&T/Sphinx?

Theres sort of a B&T in there. Beretta purchased the P26 design from them and modified it a bit.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3584 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is your prediction?

5 years of money and evaluation.

Nothing adopted or bought.

Waste of time and money.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
And your prediction is ....?

(If you wait until they announce it and then say you predicted it then it’s not a PREdiction. It’s just a diction.)

In all seriousness, I’ll go with the CZ. It’s one of the easiest ones to spell.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M1A1 Thompson.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
P90 chambered in .30 carbine. Cool

About as likely as the above mentioned M1A1 Thompson though.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd guess MPX or EVO3.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
What is your prediction?

5 years of money and evaluation.

Nothing adopted or bought.

Waste of time and money.

/Thread

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CHLP290
posted Hide Post
MPX
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
What is your prediction?

It's funny, I thought the sub-gun was basically a dinosaur in the current surge of short shorter rifle carbines, AR-pistols, and personal defense cartridges in 5.56/.223. But don't get me wrong; I'd love to see resurgence of the SMG!

Posts: 92 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: April 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CHLP290
posted Hide Post
MPX
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
And your prediction is ....?

(If you wait until they announce it and then say you predicted it then it’s not a PREdiction. It’s just a diction.)

In all seriousness, I’ll go with the CZ. It’s one of the easiest ones to spell.

posted Hide Post
MP9 would be the best choice for an actual PDW submachinegun. Too bad they couldn't enter the APC9 as well. They are going to need to pick either armor piercing or wound ballistics as a priority.

Scorpions? Gross.

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mercedes560

Scorpions? Gross.

Please elaborate

posted Hide Post
Maybe the plastic rail for optics would not last under military use?

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post