SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    USMC: "New Mk 13 Mod 7 sniper rifle to hit II MEF and III MEF"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USMC: "New Mk 13 Mod 7 sniper rifle to hit II MEF and III MEF" Login/Join 
posted
The link has a still photo plus a video.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.c...Early%20Bird%20Brief

NEW IN 2019: New Mk 13 Mod 7 sniper rifle to hit II MEF and III MEF

By: Shawn Snow   16 hours ago

Earlier in 2018 the Corps announced it was finally ready to replace the Vietnam-era M40 sniper rifle with the new Mk 13 Mod 7.

Marine scout snipers have been carrying versions of the M40 for decades and have long complained of the need to engage targets beyond 1,000 meters.

The Corps answered those complaints by selecting the sniper rifle currently employed by elite Marine Raiders, the Mk 13 Mod 7.

Marines with I Marine Expeditionary Force out on the West Coast have already started to get their hands on the new rifle. Fielding is expected to continue with II MEF and III MEF in 2019.

The Corps says the new sniper rifle increases the range of Marine snipers by nearly 300 meters and can hit targets beyond 1,000 yards.

The new sniper rifle will come with the powerful Nightforce Advanced Tactical Riflescope.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Errrrmeeegawd, the USMC didn't get the MEMO that Keymod is OUT and MLOK is IN!

Humor aside, great that the Corps is finally getting the scout snipers something more capable - lots of units have been using 300WM for awhile now in theater.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
The Navy has been using it for a while, I built a clone of it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mew,

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
what chassis is that?

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
what chassis is that?

Looks like a modifed AI AXMC

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/phone/axmc.html

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
The actual Mk13 is a Stiller 300 action with a Lilja barrel can't remember the trigger they spec. Mine is a Stiller with a Bartlein barrel and a Timney 510u. The Mk13 chassis is a special AICS version specific to the "Navy" model. If you look at AI there is no other version close to the Navy.
https://www.eurooptic.com/accu...y-spec-mk-13-ch.aspx

Link;
https://www.m40rifle.com/forum...k-13/1461-mk13-mod-7

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mew,

Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a sweet rifle mew, bravo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:

What was the total cost to build this? That's a sweet looking setup.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Bout damn time

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Bout damn time
For sure.

The Marines were chasing their tails about "doctrine" and "publications", while their snipers needed something more than 762x51 and more accurate than 50cal.

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les007:
quote:

What was the total cost to build this? That's a sweet looking setup.

AIAX MK13 Mod 7 Chassis: $1,630
Stiller MK13 Action: $1,545
Lilja MK 13 Barrel: $355
Geissele Super 700 Trigger: $250
Surefire Brake: $200
Gunmith Fees: ?????

Mile High Shooting has them ready to ship for $4,500.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
The closest one I see on mile high is $6k!! For that kind of money I would surely buy an actual AI without a doubt. I probably have $3300 in mine with the stock being the most expensive thing, and that doesn't include the scope/rings. Its a safe queen built on a whim.

Edmund Burke

posted Hide Post
quote:
The closest one I see on mile high is $6k!!

So what you're both saying is...save my $$$. Dumb question then, would either of you recommend starting off with say a Remington 700 and working up to something like this down the road? Or just save the money to buy/build something like this and be done with it? Thanks guys.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That thing is homely...
Not that the M40 was a looker, but this new one is definitely a function over form design.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[would either of you recommend starting off with say a Remington 700 and working up to something like this down the road? Or just save the money to buy/build something like this and be done with it?

It depends on what you want to do with the rifle. It's safe to state this isn't a hunting rifle, as it's really a long distance tactical/accuracy/competition rifle.

#1 -- Buy one like on Mile High Shooting's site for $6k. Budget another $3k for the Nightforce scope. Add rings, a bipod, and magazines. Woohoo, now you have a rifle just like what some of the marines use. Shoot it, store it in a safe, bring it out for barbecue parties, use it in competition....

#2 -- Start with a Remy 700. Uncertain if you're looking to use the Remy 700 as a starter rifle, learning from it, then trading/buying up to another rifle down the road. Or using some of the 700's components, then upgrading those components over time for better performance. Understand that 700 action almost certainly needs to be trued to be truly accurate. Its barrel won't be the best, and/or the barrel might not be chambered very well. The stock will be less than optimal. And the trigger probably is marginal. In other words, you're tossing most of the rifle. And finally, the trued 700 action still won't have longevity of a true custom action.

#3 -- Start from scratch with a rifle that truly shoots well at extended long range distances, assuming that's your goal. First, ditch the 300 Win Mag chamber. Those who reload can describe the issues in detail of the belted case design. For those who buy factory 300WM ammo, realize that most factory ammo uses bullets under 200 grains, thus limiting its long distance capabilities. The best long distance bullets in 30-cal weigh more than 200 grains.

If 30-cal is your thing, then consider 300 Norma, 300 Nosler, or 300 PRC. If you don't like the recoil of 30-cal, consider 28 Nosler or 7 SAUM.

Get a strong and accurate action -- like Stiller, Defiance, AI, Bighorn -- and be ready to pay for it. Buy a great barrel, and be ready to replace it regularly -- assuming you will be shooting this rifle regularly. Buy a solid chassis of your choice. Budget another $3k or more for quality optics.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
That thing is homely...
Not that the M40 was a looker, but this new one is definitely a function over form design.

It just depends upon what your used to shooting. The AI chassis is definitely different than more traditional stocks such as Manners or McMillan. But the AI chassis works -- there are a lot of them in the field, as a part of very accurate rifles.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest that you just get in the car with me and drive along the road to the Dolphin Gun Works, like many people in your fortunate position do here in yUK.

Mic will sort you out a rifle unlike any other for around $3000 or so, leaving you $2000 to spend on a decent scope and rings. There are so many of them in our gun club that they are thinking of starting a sub-division of DGW. Calibre is entirely up to you but basically providing that bore is smaller than the diameter of the barrel you can have it.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
[would either of you recommend starting off with say a Remington 700 and working up to something like this down the road? Or just save the money to buy/build something like this and be done with it?

It depends on what you want to do with the rifle. It's safe to state this isn't a hunting rifle, as it's really a long distance tactical/accuracy/competition rifle.

#1 -- Buy one like on Mile High Shooting's site for $6k. Budget another $3k for the Nightforce scope. Add rings, a bipod, and magazines. Woohoo, now you have a rifle just like what some of the marines use. Shoot it, store it in a safe, bring it out for barbecue parties, use it in competition....

#2 -- Start with a Remy 700. Uncertain if you're looking to use the Remy 700 as a starter rifle, learning from it, then trading/buying up to another rifle down the road. Or using some of the 700's components, then upgrading those components over time for better performance. Understand that 700 action almost certainly needs to be trued to be truly accurate. Its barrel won't be the best, and/or the barrel might not be chambered very well. The stock will be less than optimal. And the trigger probably is marginal. In other words, you're tossing most of the rifle. And finally, the trued 700 action still won't have longevity of a true custom action.

#3 -- Start from scratch with a rifle that truly shoots well at extended long range distances, assuming that's your goal. First, ditch the 300 Win Mag chamber. Those who reload can describe the issues in detail of the belted case design. For those who buy factory 300WM ammo, realize that most factory ammo uses bullets under 200 grains, thus limiting its long distance capabilities. The best long distance bullets in 30-cal weigh more than 200 grains.

If 30-cal is your thing, then consider 300 Norma, 300 Nosler, or 300 PRC. If you don't like the recoil of 30-cal, consider 28 Nosler or 7 SAUM.

Get a strong and accurate action -- like Stiller, Defiance, AI, Bighorn -- and be ready to pay for it. Buy a great barrel, and be ready to replace it regularly -- assuming you will be shooting this rifle regularly. Buy a solid chassis of your choice. Budget another $3k or more for quality optics.

I'd just be getting into the hobby; the idea of starting with a Remington 700 would be to 'break' into it with minimal $ investment, which is why I asked if it was a good place to start. Maybe from scratch, piece by piece, but it will take my a long time to put it together. Thanks for the feedback!

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
Les007, start with a standard caliber not with a magnum. Hands down you will find the Rem. 5R mil spec the best bang for the buck rifle anywhere. The.308's are super nice and after market upgrades are found everywhere.
https://www.remington.com/rifl...nless-threaded-gen-2

Edmund Burke

posted Hide Post
quote:
Les007, start with a standard caliber not with a magnum. Hands down you will find the Rem. 5R mil spec the best bang for the buck rifle anywhere. The.308's are super nice and after market upgrades are found everywhere.
https://www.remington.com/rifl...nless-threaded-gen-2

Thanks mew; I'll start my research with this in mind. The quick eyeball comparison between the 5R 2nd gen and milspec are the 2nd gen is silencer ready and has a cerakote finish while the milspec does not state it can use a silencer and it comes in a polished stainless finish. Both have a 24" barrel option.